Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally managed to get connected after months of half hearted attempts. Managed to connect through android phone with OBDlink LX hardware and AlfaOBD software. Very happy as I made the time after taking a trip out into the middle of nowhere and having engine light come on after overly enthusiastic driving in the heat. Error code was due to overboost. AlfaOBD allowed me to read error with description and clear option. Running full diagnostic after shows an overboost count of 124 and knock sensor reading of 45. Is this high in relativity of a 73000km mileage? Also can one clear these counts without going to dealer? Would like to keep track from a reset.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought it through scantool site. Takes a bit to arrive but wanted to get a quality device that I can also keep connected to the car without worrying about running the battery flat.

Not following Wildcard comment. In respect to clearing knock count?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Puro. I can help you clear if your in pretoria area.

Not sure if the knock count can be cleared though... thats not a fault code. Thats data that the ecu keeps for life to my knowledge.

That knock count seems a bit high but thats what everybody has been keeping on warning you about because your running your novitec settings so high on normal 95 and no supporting mods. Knock will eventually kill your engine. So its important to reduce knock.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I am in Cape Town and recently rediscovered my cables but my software is on a 2008 Dell with non functioning battery. If you are based nearby I could come to your place to diagnose and reset what I can. My software is MultiECUScan which is Fiat proprietary software and I have all cables necessary for diagnostics. My only problem is my busy schedule. I need at least 2 weeks advance notice to make me available. But will do it for free. Ensure that there is a plug nearby. I have a 9m lead though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Puro. I can help you clear if your in pretoria area.

Not sure if the knock count can be cleared though... thats not a fault code. Thats data that the ecu keeps for life to my knowledge.

That knock count seems a bit high but thats what everybody has been keeping on warning you about because your running your novitec settings so high on normal 95 and no supporting mods. Knock will eventually kill your engine. So its important to reduce knock.
I have had no noticeable knock on the car. On the odd occasion actually before the box was on funnily enough. Occurred only if trying to pull up a hill at to low revs without gearing down. I do run with ragazzon decat downpipe.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Cape Town and recently rediscovered my cables but my software is on a 2008 Dell with non functioning battery. If you are based nearby I could come to your place to diagnose and reset what I can. My software is MultiECUScan which is Fiat proprietary software and I have all cables necessary for diagnostics. My only problem is my busy schedule. I need at least 2 weeks advance notice to make me available. But will do it for free. Ensure that there is a plug nearby. I have a 9m lead though.
Thanks. I have all the cables and saw full AlfaOBD allows for knock count reset. Overboost as well. Interesting to see such a high overboost count yet I have never had an error come up before?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I see.

If alfaobd can do it then im sure MES can do it also. Let me know if you are in the area and want me to help you out

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see.

If alfaobd can do it then im sure MES can do it also. Let me know if you are in the area and want me to help you out
Thanks Benzina. I am in CT so I will take up Ian's offer if I don't come right with AlfaOBD. I want to take the car through to Alfa as it seems there is a faulty sensor rather than the car overboosting under load as the error (P0240) returned under normal driving conditions in the cold.

Interesting to see AlfaOBD diagnostic noting that overboost count should be cleared when turbo is replaced as if it is not done it can have an effect on performance and drivability. I just wonder if they cleared my counter when the turbo was replaced a couple of months ago. Certainly overboost count looks high to me and my car has never thrown out any error before.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was thinking of buying the OBDLink LX but I heard it didn't work with the Guilietta. And was even thinking Id have to order the MX which is more expensive.

So the LX works?

On a side note, if you want to use an international shipping service check out www.aramexglobalshopper.com and use the discount code USD5OFFER
I signed up yesterday and my friend has used the service. That way you can get anything shipped to SA from any online store in the world. I think I will order the OBDLink LX since I bought Torque Pro already, all I need is a bluetooth OBD adapter that works.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking of buying the OBDLink LX but I heard it didn't work with the Guilietta. And was even thinking Id have to order the MX which is more expensive.

So the LX works?

On a side note, if you want to use an international shipping service check out www.aramexglobalshopper.com and use the discount code USD5OFFER
I signed up yesterday and my friend has used the service. That way you can get anything shipped to SA from any online store in the world. I think I will order the OBDLink LX since I bought Torque Pro already, all I need is a bluetooth OBD adapter that works.
I have not had any success with Torque free version. As noted only got AlfaOBD to work. Giulietta does not seem to be very compatible with other software.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

So the LX works?

Killer...let's do a group buy please.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Killer...let's do a group buy please.
Sure Lance, lets just wait for pay day then we can place an order and I will use my Aramex global shopper account to get it here asap. To give you an idea, my friend just ordered a cellphone cover. Aramex in the US received it on Friday, it left JHB on its way to DBN this morning at 10am.

I am thinking of ordering the OBDLink MX that way I am guaranteed compatibility with my car and any other car I put it into.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have had no noticeable knock on the car. On the odd occasion actually before the box was on funnily enough. Occurred only if trying to pull up a hill at to low revs without gearing down. I do run with ragazzon decat downpipe.
That is when knock occurs, full throttle and low revs, under load.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts