Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 1st I bought a Giulietta 1.4MA 150bhp Sprint, first registered November 2015. It might help newbies who ask “what are they like?” to give some impressions.

Good Things

The handling, on 17” Pirellis, is sure-footed and responsive at impressive cornering speeds. It’s also great fun playing silly buggers round deserted roundabouts. The ride is nicely stiff without too much bump; just how I like it.

Appearance and interior styling are subjective, but lots of people love it, most importantly me. The 2010 interiors were OK; the 2015 Sprint is a really pleasant place to be.

When you rev the engine in D, the acceleration is ludicrously good. From 70 mph upwards (not that I’ve tried it, officer) it’s terrific. Torque feels great too, and the engine sounds good at high revs.

Fuel consumption is spectacularly good. It’s averaged between 37 and 38 over the last two months, much of that in outer London.

The dashboard and steering wheel stalk controls are unconventional but logical. The heater controls, for example, are functional and stylish.

It took me time to get used to the 6 speed box, but the gearchange itself is very smooth.

Not Such Good Things

Here’s my biggest criticism. At low revs, the engine is lumpy. It burbles away unevenly on tickover, and response to the throttle is erratic. Smooth or rapid moves off the line are not an option unless you slip the clutch. (There’s a thread about this somewhere).

You need to hold a low gear. It’s first car ever where I drive round road junctions in first, and if the engine has one of its little surges then the car surges with it. Not serious but not pleasant either. It’s a blot on a car bought for driving pleasure.

One rear door has to be given a slam; fits perfectly when closed. Driver’s pull handle creaks sometimes as the component parts move against each other. There’s sometimes a minor dash resonance which I could probably fix if it gets worse.

Storage space, lack of – not drastic, but not good.

Why do they do that?

When you lock or unlock the car, the alarm screeches like a banshee.

DNA – like the concept, but I’ve joined those who leave it in D, instead of faffing about switching. The real nonsense is the heavy steering in D. What on Earth is that for?

Dare we discuss?

We’ve got to mention it. The elephant in the room, the fly in the ointment, the mouse in the pork pie: Alfa Romeo Reliability. Two weeks after buying it, at under 38,000 miles, the multiair unit and door mirror (temperature sensor) needed replacing. (Not at my cost, fortunately). The rear suspension has started to squeak.

And did you know? Alfa owners are still paranoid about oil, me included. Read this forum.

There’s no doubt the Giulietta is miles more reliable than earlier Alfas, but it still “needs looking after”, which is ludicrous in this day and age.

Overall?

Silly question. Love it. Buy one.

·
Registered
33,722 Posts
Good review of your (previously owned) Giulietta. Two things;

Why had somebody decided to “move on”? I never had MA failure in 80000 miles + with two MA Giuliettas. Perhaps they’d had a hint of an issue.

Secondly my second MA , with the 150 engine , never needed the clutch slip to get it off the line like the 170 did.

Overall it’s quite a pleasant car really and a lot better inside with the carbon-effect graining on the door inserts and dash.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's quite possible the previous owner had received a hint, though to be fair it was only a one minute period of rough running (and engine light) which gave me a clue, so it may not have occurred before.

Interesting about the getaway. It's almost as though mine is running slightly rich on low revs. It is a mild problem, just annoying. Might get tht checked out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts