Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day all,
It's been more than a few months since posting anything of interest but just to inform you all that I recently sold my Giulietta. It has been the least expensive to service Alfa I have owned. Its performance miles ahead of my 147 both in a straight line and for sheer grip. Fuel consumption averaged 7.3L/100km but recently got 6.8L/100km over the Blue Mountains to Bathurst and back to view the 12Hour again and I wasn't hanging about. A great car. Nothing has gone wrong apart from a battery, replaced free under warranty. I did a few mods like Bilstein B6s and Eibach Pro springs, Ragazzon twin-exit exhaust, 18 inch 5-hole Alfa alloys, alloy petrol cap and illuminated tread plates. If anyone here is considering a Multiair, don't be put off by the early failures. Use the correct Multiar oil (I used Motul 5W40 8100 X-Clean rather than Selenia) and keep it clean, changing it at least once a year. Have your service guy check the uniair module filter to ensure you are getting uninterrupted oil flow to the Multair unit and these days, you should be right. I changed the gearbox oil to NEO Platinum75W90(a 100%diester base oil) and have had no problems with any shifting or hesitation in the change action.
May I also add that it has been my weekend car and never had to endure the hardships of the day to day commute. If you are thinking about a Multiair take the plunge. It really does have an unsurpassed combination of performance and frugality for a petrol motor and with the light engine and manual gearbox combination, a really nicely balanced car. The only negative is a lack of steering feel.
And the reason for selling? My 4C arrived in the country 2 weeks ago. Undoubtedly the silliest financial decision of my life but it was simply a case of 'you only live once' and the 4C won't be around for long. Hell, there's hardly been any in showrooms here for months. When I was a kid I lusted after 105GTA's but could never hope to own one. Now we have a real GTA in the 4C and I wasn't prepared to let the opportunity pass. I specced it the way I wanted and hope it will be the last car I buy for myself, period. Hope to pick it up this coming Monday. Taking the day off work for the pleasure. Going straight to my Alfa indie to have Jamie's Alfaworks/Quicksilver exhaust fitted, then dropping it off at the wrappers for a full cover, a four-day job.

As for my daily driver, the 147 is still going strong. 15years and 120,000km. Just have to keep an eye on the oil level. And the Sud? It is still powering along on the original motor after 42 years of family ownership. OK, the doors and mudguards aren't original, but apart from a new coat of paint about 10 years ago, the rest of the car is. A testimony to Rudi Hruska's design genius.

I'm sure I'll be back from time to time to check on the latest issues with the Giulietta. I wish you all untroubled ownership with your Giuliettas. Enjoy the drive ladys and gents.:byebye:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
G'day all,
It's been more than a few months since posting anything of interest but just to inform you all that I recently sold my Giulietta. It has been the least expensive to service Alfa I have owned. Its performance miles ahead of my 147 both in a straight line and for sheer grip. Fuel consumption averaged 7.3L/100km but recently got 6.8L/100km over the Blue Mountains to Bathurst and back to view the 12Hour and I wasn't hanging about. A great car. Nothing has gone wrong apart from a battery, replaced free under warranty. I did a few mods like Bilstein B6s and Eibach Pro springs, Ragazzon twin-exit exhaust, 18 inch 5-hole Alfa alloys, alloy petrol cap and illuminated tread plates. If anyone here is considering a Multiair, don't be put off by the early failures. Use the correct Multiar oil (I used Motul 5W40 8100 X-Clean rather than Selenia) and keep it clean, changing it at least once a year. Have your service guy check the uniair module filter to ensure you are getting uninterrupted oil flow to the Multair unit and these days, you should be right. I changed the gearbox oil to NEO Platinum75W90(a 100%diester base oil) and have had no problems with any shifting or hesitation in the change action.
May I also add that it has been my weekend car and never had to endure the hardships of the day to day commute. If you are thinking about a Multiair take the plunge. It really does have an unsurpassed combination of performance and frugality for a petrol motor and with the light engine and manual gearbox combination, a really nicely balanced car. The only negative is a lack of steering feel.
And the reason for selling? My 4C arrived in the country 2 weeks ago. Undoubtedly the silliest financial decision of my life but it was simply a case of 'you only live once' and the 4C won't be around for long. Hell, there's hardly been any in showrooms here for months. When I was a kid I lusted after 105GTA's but could never hope to own one. Now we have a real GTA in the 4C and I wasn't prepared to let the opportunity pass. I specced it the way I wanted and hope it will be the last car I buy for myself, period. Hope to pick it up this coming Monday. Taking the day off work for the pleasure. Going straight to my Alfa indie to have Jamie's Alfaworks/Quicksilver exhaust fitted, then dropping it off at the wrappers for a full cover, a four-day job.

As for my daily driver, the 147 is still going strong. 15years and 120,000km. Just have to keep an eye on the oil level. And the Sud? It is still powering along on the original motor after 42 years of family ownership. OK, the doors and mudguards aren't original, but apart from a new coat of paint about 10 years ago, the rest of the car is. A testimony to Rudi Hruska's design genius.

I'm sure I'll be back from time to time to check on the latest issues with the Giulietta. I wish you all untroubled ownership with your Giuliettas. Enjoy the drive ladys and gents.:byebye:
really nice to hear from a satisfied alfaowner enjoy the 4c!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sense a little bit of regret! Best wishes and enjoy the new one. Pardon me for asking but if you don't mind, what did you get for your G?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I sense a little bit of regret! Best wishes and enjoy the new one. Pardon me for asking but if you don't mind, what did you get for your G?
Hi Traj,
After 6 months on the market at $25,000, I eventually got the sale at $23,000. Had a few enquiries but the usual excuse of having to sell their car first before purchasing or simply never getting back after the initial call. It was telling that the first person to actually see the car and take a ride in it, bought it. A bloody good car but only had 3 months rego left and the 4C was coming with no spare garage space. And yes, I wish I was able to find an excuse to keep it as it was going to be my last car and I specced it the way I did for that very reason. Then I fell for the 4C. The deal with my wife was I could get it if it meant she gets a new lounge suite, bathroom and ensuite and a new kitchen. Then there's the family holiday to Hawaii. So I just wasn't able to justify keeping it with all the added expenses coming my way. Good God I hope the 4C is worth it. Still, cheaper than a divorce.
Oh, and to report on the 4C. Due to a hitch with an incorrect window seal they can't guarantee it will be ready tomorrow (Monday) morning. Now, after a month of cloudless skies and temps over 30 degrees C we're about to get a week of rain. WTF! The upshot is the rain might clear by Friday, so that looks like the THE day. The wrappers, Andrew at OZICOZI, were understanding. He said to bring it in and they'll work something out. It might take a little longer, as they fit it in between other jobs. So I probably won't see it for a couple weeks after Friday's pickup. What's another couple of weeks after waiting 11 months on the order? Just in time for Easter and double demerit points and fines. Just taking it as another exercise in character building.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just a final note. I've taken delivery of my new baby. Never owned something as ridiculously single focused as this. What a revelation! Jeeze it's low. You're looking up at everything. And quick! A Sirocco R gave me a run at the lights on the way home from the dealership. Just pressed on the accelerator to keep pace with it with ease for a couple of seconds then backed off. This this thing has the potential to get me into lots of trouble if I'm not careful. Much self-control required. It's now getting a full wrap then Jamie Porter's Helmholtz exhaust is waiting at my Alfa indie. Life is good, at least for the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts