Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best hatchbacks: 20-4 | Top 20 best hatchbacks | Auto Express

I can't help but post this even though the G has been out for a while now, but where is the consistency in this ranking??
The Alfa Giulietta is ranked 19th out of 20 in this, but is ranked 2nd ahead of the Astra in a group test last year.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta vs Rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

I don't get it... Yes there are better cars on that list, but to rank it second last mainly because of its dynamics is a bit harsh, considering much of the press believes this is a competitive alternative to the class favourites (Autocar, Whatcar, Parkers, Car magazine, Evo).

Whatever...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Where exactly was the better cars on the first list, i fail to see any there :confused: :cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
LOL LOL LOL! What a idiots!!! But that is usual. In auto motor sport Alfa was 7. Behind Golf, A3, Leon, Octavia, Astra... And in other test it was 5. Last. Better was golf, 1 series... Golf is better then Alfa. Better then BMW. I am sick of that. I will not buy a german car even if they are last in production. Dont worry. Just enjoy in your Giuliettas.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Giulietta worse than Chevrolet Cruze... Yes...

Well, WTF???!!!

Anybody wants to buy a 2011 Giulietta for 4.000 EUR?! I need to get a Chevy QUICK :D.

Who gives about those rankings when they're clearly made by people who probably didn't even see all these cars in metal?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Anyone who thinks the 'golf' is still the best is living in a time warp. It is bland but functional - you still hear of many having reliability issues. I think motoring journalists are too stuck in their ways.

If when you go out and buy your car it is no different to when you go and buy a new washing machine, the Golf is probably high up the list and why they are popular!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If somebody writes that Golf has a "classy image", she or he should seriously consider finding some less sophisticated job.

"...any disappointment ... is soon offset by the VW’s visual appeal. ... the Golf is still desirable. It’s handsome, well proportioned and a classy proposition."

Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Best hatchbacks: 20-4 | Top 20 best hatchbacks | Auto Express

I can't help but post this even though the G has been out for a while now, but where is the consistency in this ranking??
The Alfa Giulietta is ranked 19th out of 20 in this, but is ranked 2nd ahead of the Astra in a group test last year.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta vs Rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

I don't get it... Yes there are better cars on that list, but to rank it second last mainly because of its dynamics is a bit harsh, considering much of the press believes this is a competitive alternative to the class favourites (Autocar, Whatcar, Parkers, Car magazine, Evo).

Whatever...
That's why I've stopped buying car mags. They are utterly inconsistent and frankly having driven other cars and then read reviews about them it clear that the reviewers have become brainwashed by stodgy bland mainstream models or maybe the freebies are better.

BOYCOTT car mags that's what I say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't even park a Giulietta in the same parking lot as an Octavia!!
I in a good position to compare these two...

I have recently bought a new Giulietta Cloverleaf to replace my Skoda Octavia VRS (bought new about 5 years ago).

I really liked the Skoda VRS & the only reason I didn't have another one was I thought a change might be nice.

It was more reliable than my new Alfa (I've only had the Alfa a few weeks!). I am still getting used to my new Cloverleaf so I'm sure it will grow on me but at the moment there are many things that I don't like.
I have owned many different brands & types of 'quick cars' & I can honestly say the Skoda (produced by VW/AUDI of course) in better value for money & genuinely good car.

Do I think it is a better car than my new Alfa? at the moment I probably do sorry.
Don't get me wrong though I like the Cloverleaf plenty.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Skoda Octavia VRS (bought new about 5 years ago).
Don't get me wrong. Octavia is a very well built car. But it's nowhere near Alfa territory. Looking at your post, you probably bought a wrong car. Should have gone for Golf GTI.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't get me wrong. Octavia is a very well built car. But it's nowhere near Alfa territory. Looking at your post, you probably bought a wrong car. Should have gone for Golf GTI.
I didn't fancy the Golf, I know it doesn't appeal to everyone but I like the the looks of the Giulietta.

What are the reasons why the Skoda VRS isn't anywhere near the Alfa? (genuinely interested to know why you think that)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I in a good position to compare these two...

I have recently bought a new Giulietta Cloverleaf to replace my Skoda Octavia VRS (bought new about 5 years ago).

I really liked the Skoda VRS & the only reason I didn't have another one was I thought a change might be nice.

It was more reliable than my new Alfa (I've only had the Alfa a few weeks!). I am still getting used to my new Cloverleaf so I'm sure it will grow on me but at the moment there are many things that I don't like.
I have owned many different brands & types of 'quick cars' & I can honestly say the Skoda (produced by VW/AUDI of course) in better value for money & genuinely good car.

Do I think it is a better car than my new Alfa? at the moment I probably do sorry.
Don't get me wrong though I like the Cloverleaf plenty.
It's good to hear you took the leap of trying something new and different.
Any particular reason why your new Alfa has not been as reliable (considering you've only had it a few weeks)?

It's no doubt that Skoda is good value for money, which is their main reason for success; in fact they're better value for money than their VW counterparts.

But in the department of looks, styling, excellent maturing of the looks and that special something you can't put your finger on but is there, I'm sorry but Skoda is not a candidate. In my opinion.

I do hope the car grows in you so you enjoy it and can be pleased with it, but if it turns out to be not for you then that should be respected too.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I didn't fancy the Golf, I know it doesn't appeal to everyone but I like the the looks of the Giulietta.

What are the reasons why the Skoda VRS isn't anywhere near the Alfa? (genuinely interested to know why you think that)
It's what you feel when you're behind the wheel. I've driven a few cars in my life and only Alfa gives me that feeling. When you look at the dials, the interior, you know it's a special car. When you enter the curve quickly and you feel the car is just glued to the ground and pulls nicely out while the cars in the rear mirror dissapear, you know it's bein tailored to give fun.
We can argue about handling, engines, build quality but it all does not matter that much in the end. This "alfaness" is what makes most people that buy an Alfa to change it for the next one. Not everyone feels it and that's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im seriously doubting the journalists integrity, it seems to me they have just picked the cars out of a hat and listed them in whatever order they came out.
There are probably a few more well rounded family cars than the Giulietta but 18 more? Yea right !:rolleyes:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Giulietta worse than Chevrolet Cruze... Yes...

Well, WTF???!!!

Anybody wants to buy a 2011 Giulietta for 4.000 EUR?! I need to get a Chevy QUICK :D.

Who gives about those rankings when they're clearly made by people who probably didn't even see all these cars in metal?
4000??? Are you crazy!? You know what Golf 4 can I buy for that money? I give 2100!

I notice that the Fiat Bravo was last. Maybe Fiat didn't give them a big enough backhander? :(
I think you are 100% right. Becase in every tests, no matter, Tiguan, Yeti, Polo, Golf, A4, VW Group is ALWAYS on top! Well, that is imposible!!! :vomit::vomit::vomit:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was putting the bins out tonight and couldn't stop looking at my Giulietta every time I passed her, beautiful. That's what counts, soul. I'm sure Golf and Focus are very good but no one looks twice at them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't buy AutoExpress and I understand they are a more consumer oriented magazine compared to the likes of Car, Evo or even TopGear, so I am not at all surprised to see them highly rate the Hyundai, Kia, Skoda or the Leon (all are very good cars) as well as the 'class leaders' Focus and Golf.
But ranking the Giulietta behind the Cruze, Auris, Delta, the 308, C4 and the 6 year old Civic is outrageous...
The main criticism of the Giulietta has always been its relatively "poor dynamics" and slightly below average rear seat space. But surely that doesn't mean it's the second worst hatch back to buy in today's market?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts