Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice on my 2012 regd Guilietta 2.0 Veloce 140 bhp.
Engine management light on and no stop/start, no DNA, no cruise control when loss of power occurs and car struggles to get above 3200 rpm,
Had in into an Alfa Service Dealer here in Ireland and they diagnosed an a faulty air mass meter which was replaced and problem still persists, They said they checked the wiring to air mass meter and egr valve etc. I bought a secondhand EGR valve and had it fitted but problem is still there. Could still be the egr valve!
Some history: I bought the car in the UK with 100k miles with suspected top engine noise so was hoping to get away with replacing cam followers and cams, turned out it was a crank bearing so I replaced the engine with one from a breakers yard with 28k miles on it, had a guy fit the engine and engine management light came on within 2 days of collecting the car, he could not find any fault so I took it to an authorised Alfa service dealer who diagnosed the air mass meter as described above. Took it to another independent dealer who said it was still showing up an air mass fault. Code 10FH/271. Any suggestion as to what I should try next as I have quite a bit spent on trying to solve this issue without any success to date. When the car is going well it is fab to drive especailly in Dynamic Mode so am hoping some one of you guys may be able to help?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Are you sure you got a 2.0 140 bhp engine, and not a 1.6? the turbo works differently and this could lead to airmass errors. the 170 bhp has a different turbo aswell, though it works in the same way as the 140 turbo.

Which parts did you swap over from your old engine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you got a 2.0 140 bhp engine, and not a 1.6? the turbo works differently and this could lead to airmass errors. the 170 bhp has a different turbo aswell, though it works in the same way as the 140 turbo.

Which parts did you swap over from your old engine?
Thank you for reply.
Engine was sold to me as a 2.0 litre engine but the breakers yard did not specify if it was 140 bhp or 170 bhp.
I assumed the 1.6 engine would not be interchangable i.e ancillary compononents would not fit??
Engine came without turbo, injectors, egr valve etc so all of these were swapped over from my old unit and although the replacement engine has 28k miles the parts that were swapped over had 108k but i have been suspecting that something is not compatible since the engine was replaced and think you may be onto something here.
I will call an Alfa Dealer on Monday and see if they can identify cc and bhp from engine number and post back, many thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for reply.
Engine was sold to me as a 2.0 litre engine but the breakers yard did not specify if it was 140 bhp or 170 bhp.
I assumed the 1.6 engine would not be interchangable i.e ancillary compononents would not fit??
Engine came without turbo, injectors, egr valve etc so all of these were swapped over from my old unit and although the replacement engine has 28k miles the parts that were swapped over had 108k but i have been suspecting that something is not compatible since the engine was replaced and think you may be onto something here.
I will call an Alfa Dealer on Monday and see if they can identify cc and bhp from engine number and post back, many thanks.
Also meant to add that I replaced the car battery with genuine AGM096 stop / start battery as old one drained after a few days of car not being used.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the 1.6just drops in as far as I know. I know of a Mito who converted to 2.0 without issues

the main difference in engine hardware between a 140 and 170 is the intake manifold, the 140 has swirl vanes (fixed) and the 170 hasn't. the 1.6 has the vanes aswell.

If you find an online Eper (fiat parts catalog) you can find out what engine you have yourself, and what parts are not compatible if you invest some time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, had a look online and cant find an eper catalog that covers the Giulietta in English, found one in Polish that accepted my VIN number which matches up with the engine number that was removed but cant seem to get any further, do you have a link and is there a facility for entering my replacementt engine number to identify cubic capacity and power output?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the polish one can be converted to english, I think by changing the link a bit (delete the parts after the basic link) IIRC

940A3000 is a 1.6 jtdm
940A7000 is a 163 (possibly also 170 bhp)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mine's 940A4000.

I'll put the complete list as I have it:
1.6 jtdm 940A3000
2.0 JTDM (170) 940A4000
2.0 JTDM (136) 940A8000
2.0 JTDM (140) 940A5000
2.0 JTDM (163) 940A7000

google says yours is a 1.6 from a fiat...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine's 940A4000.

I'll put the complete list as I have it:
1.6 jtdm 940A3000
2.0 JTDM (170) 940A4000
2.0 JTDM (136) 940A8000
2.0 JTDM (140) 940A5000
2.0 JTDM (163) 940A7000

google says yours is a 1.6 from a fiat...
That's a bummer!
Any suggestions as to what I can do to overcome this without having to swap the engine?
Would engine ecu remap work or an ecu from a 1.6 Giulietta solve this?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Remap is the only sensible option. if you swap ecus you need to swap keys aswell and there's no saying a fiat ecu will ever want to cooperate with the rest of the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts