Alfa Romeo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
37,506 Posts
The term “door handle” is a turn of phrase, we all know it’s a door release lever, let’s not get stuck on Semantics.

The issue is Alfa Romeo market themselves as a premium brand and as such they need to look the manufacturing/design process of this part or just suck it up and replace FOC. This part is the same one in current model as those in the origina, that’s 8 years on and still fitting a defective partl. There is also a safety issue here.

On the earlier Giulietta at least there is nothing premium about the interior. A nice DNA switch and fancy blue and me cannot disguise a myriad of cheap looking bits of plastic which don't fit together very well, and often break.

Sorry fellow G owners but the interior quality is very lacking even compared to the 156/147 let alone the 159.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
It’s not all Giuliettas that have the door handle/release lever issue. I understand that the supplier changed the compound in the plastics around 2012 so that it was cheaper to produce. Then reverted to original mix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It’s not all Giuliettas that have the door handle/release lever issue. I understand that the supplier changed the compound in the plastics around 2012 so that it was cheaper to produce. Then reverted to original mix.
That sounds like a positive for me, so a 2011 car should be ok?

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
The issue is Alfa Romeo market themselves as a premium brand and as such they need to look the manufacturing/design process of this part or just suck it up and replace FOC. This part is the same one in current model as those in the origina, that’s 8 years on and still fitting a defective partl. There is also a safety issue here.
I think they've only really become 'premium' in recent years with the new models, so much so that Alfa now have the confidence to sell their wares in the States, with all that that entails.
The Giulietta and Mito, neither of which are sold in the States, are the proverbial 'dead men walking' being in a different league.
Strange how they've been kept alive with all the rebranding that's been going on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think they've only really become 'premium' in recent years with the new models, so much so that Alfa now have the confidence to sell their wares in the States, with all that that entails.
The Giulietta and Mito, neither of which are sold in the States, are the proverbial 'dead men walking' being in a different league.
Strange how they've been kept alive with all the rebranding that's been going on.
quite true but that shouldn't mean those with older cars should be treated any different as they are the ones that may well go on to buy one of these new and lets be honest expensive cars. The top of the range Giulia is the best part of £55k and a top of the range Giulietta with the bells and whistles is £38k, these are BMW, Merc and Audi prices

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
quite true but that shouldn't mean those with older cars should be treated any different as they are the ones that may well go on to buy one of these new and lets be honest expensive cars. The top of the range Giulia is the best part of £55k and a top of the range Giulietta with the bells and whistles is £38k, these are BMW, Merc and Audi prices
Absolutely they shouldn't be treated any differently - this is the whole point. Alfa shouldn't be trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities by providing poor quality parts. They'll never be seen as a 'premium' brand until (if ever) they build-up a reputation for quality and service.

I can't imagine anyone on the planet has paid £38k for a Giulietta! £30k would be madness for what it is. They are heavily discounted.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
The Mito certainly has been dead for a while!
The prices certainly reflect it and the Giulietta whilst not being dead yet does walk well for its age , in the right versions especially.
I'm sure every car manufacturer has a point at which they contribute rather than paying for a repair to an older car no longer with its first owner. Does Alfa Romeo still repair the hood on a Spider after five to ten years? I knew somebody whose Spider roof was rebuilt a couple of times under warranty. If he still had it he surely wouldn't expect it do be done again. The fact that the dealer damaged his car on one occasion is possibly a reason why they don't like doing repairs especially if it's goodwill!

As for the door releases , the thing on their Facebook saying they'd fix them was a couple of years ago and perhaps the people who offered to pay only half were not informed.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Does Alfa Romeo still repair the hood on a Spider after five to ten years?
Funny you should ask that, and it sums Alfa up in a nutshell:
When I bought mine from a main dealer at 2 years old and with their third year warranty, the roof started playing up almost straight away, and I was told that Alfa only ever covered it under warranty for the first 6 months of its life!
Imagine buying the thing brand new and potentially after only 6 months being told to fork out for roof repairs.
Love them or loath them, I bet the German manufacturers don't behave like that.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
Perhaps Joe, the guy with the White ltd edition Spider who I knew, got better treatment than a used buyer then.
His second roof rebuild was towards the end of the warranty.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Clearly he did.

At some point Alfa will learn. They have to if they want to become a 'premium' brand, or they stay where they are. Wherever that is.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
"Wherever that is."

A company that sells new cars?

I remember in the days of the 159 when my wife and I went to test drive a SW with the intention of buying a new one.
Test drive over, the salesman turned his monitor round towards us and explained we could select any car on the Fiat company fleet and the employee would bring it in to be prepared. They would then process a new one for another customer!
A friend went to look at the then new Mito and came out with a new Brera S for very little more. This couldn't continue..

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
"Wherever that is."

A company that sells new cars?
Correct. And sadly nothing more.
This has to change with the more expensive metal they want to shift.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
I'm afraid they probably won't get the fact that you need to renew the models regularly if you're going to avoid the price being a major selling factor. The Giulietta in 2011 hardly had discounts but now they're needed to shift the metal as it hasn't changed every three years.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
You're probably right there.
But let's see what this new era of Alfa Romeo brings.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That sounds like a positive for me, so a 2011 car should be ok?
That makes sense as my 2010 model is fine - although I'm careful to make sure no one mistakes the door opener for a door pull.

My first Alfa but I find the interior OK (better than a VW Scirocco anyway) aside from the stupid drink holders (or lack of)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 4 year old Guilietta first registered May 2014 I bought her May 2015. The drivers side handle snapped about 6 weeks ago and I waited until the annual service thinking I’d get it fixed then, only to be told a new door card was needed and it would cost £300 plus labour. I couldn’t believe it. I put a post on here to look for help to fix it if I bought a door card on eBay £80 ish. It was then I discovered this is a much bigger problem. Whilst I was looking into it further blow me down two weeks ago my friend tried to open the passenger door to get out and the passenger door one broke! So right now if anything happened and I needed to get out my car quickly I couldn’t it’s a critical safety risk. But now I’m facing a £700-£800 bill for a problem that is Not of my making. 95% of the time only I am in my car. This is a design quality issue. I took it to Alfa and they have offered 50% towards it but I intend to take it further to the ombudsman and to the media. I can’t believe someone hasn’t done this already! I may be forced to pay for the drivers door now because it’s not safe. I am very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the drivers side break and managed to get Alfa to cover the cost of the part and I paid the labour. I emailed the CEOs office and ended up dealing with someone from the executive complaints team.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
As I posted a while back, Alfa stated on their Facebook page that they'd pay for the repair. I did a screenshot of the item so it's probably on one of the threads. There was no mention of sharing the cost bug I'd expect a first owner with fsh would have more leverage, pun not intended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SimonR66 would you be willing to share with me in confidence obvs a copy of the email that you sent with the contact address etc so I can follow what you did? Anne

121 - 140 of 163 Posts