Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Since I am off to France on Fri eve I will try this this week. One thing puzzles me, in the handbook it says for driving abroad it is necessary to cover the lense in the correct place so as not to dazzle people. No mention of this lever?!

R

·
0 Posts
No special tools needed.
You only need a mirror and a torch light.
Take out the rear rubber cover of the lights, use the mirror and the torch light to find the metal part discriped above (picture 2 & 3) and finaly use your fingers... to move the metal part towards the right.
Just done this tonight in readiness for a trip to Paris. How long are your fingers? With the headilghts in the car I had to use a screwdriver and a mirror. The filler tube for the washer bottle behind the lhs headlamp unclips from the battery box and then you can get in from the top.

R

·
0 Posts
Since I am off to France on Fri eve I will try this this week. One thing puzzles me, in the handbook it says for driving abroad it is necessary to cover the lense in the correct place so as not to dazzle people. No mention of this lever?!
We're going to Paris for the finish of the Tour de France, you going there by any chance?

R

·
0 Posts
Ah! silly me! Hopefully Mr Froome will be the victor on Sunday night!! enjoy!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could update some info on this. It is clear that I can change my Headlights to a flat beam but does anyone know I this is sufficient for everywhere in Europe for their MOT equivalent. I see one guy in the thread has passed his CT in Belgium, does anyone know (or even better, has experience) if a flat beam would pass in France, Germany, Switzerland etc. I would appreciate any info on this before I take mine in for a test and discover my countries rules are different!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Cowhorse.

I have a right hand drive 159, I have regular headlamps (not xenon) and there is a lever. I discovered also however apparently this will only go to flat, in sweden where i took it to be MOTed it failed and they said flat wasnt sufficient, so now am considering buying whole new ones.

Why didnt alfa make these convert from left to flat to right? Beats me why they stop at flat!

Does anyone know what part I would need out of interest, can I just replace the actual light inside? Im really hoping the entire unit doesnt need replacing.

·
Registered
30,007 Posts
Most Euro equivalent of the MOT require the lights to be proper LHD units.
The lights are marked as such, there are even different LHD & RHD flatbeam units...
Check the markings on the front of the lights

So yes you'd probably need to replace the entire light units.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jason,

I sympathise with your issue. This was a real concern of mine as I was trying to get my UK Giulietta through it's "MOT" in Switzerland.
After much consideration and questions asking various forums I could not really get a straight answer if Flat headlights would be OK. I even contacted my local Swiss Alfa garage who told me that the headlights would definitely not pass and they would be happy to quote me for some. New RHD lights were going for something like €300 each so I thought it would be worth the gamble and I just put it in with the Switch in the "Flat" position.
I was fortunate and they passed. The light tests was the first test and he did take time on it and even asked a colleague. But thankfully he was fine with it. I would say that if I had the test again next time it would not completely surprise me if it would fail on this. Maybe it depends how easygoing the tester is?
I even bought a RHD light for a giulietta on Ebay. It was going at a decent price just before my test was due so I bought it for insurance. As it turns out I didn't need it, but if anyone needs a RHD light for a Giulietta in the future then I have one in my garage that I would be happy to sell for the same price I paid for it.Having the spare light did allow me to look into the unit from behind and therefore at how the actual flattening is done. It appears to be just a sheet of metal that has an angle cut into it. When you put it up it cuts off the flat part of the beam. If you really had to you could probably take this apart and move it the other way round. I guess that the company who made the light would have made it like this to avoid mass manufacturing different parts. But this is just an assumption and also this is for the Giulietta, the 159 might be totally different.
If I am honest, if my car would have failed I had accepted that I would have had to buy new lights.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask, as I know I was struggling to get answers off people who had experienced the exact same issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if this works for the 2016 G, off to france on Monday and I was going to buy some of the stick on jobbies tomorrow but if this works then happy days!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if this works for the 2016 G, off to france on Monday and I was going to buy some of the stick on jobbies tomorrow but if this works then happy days!
if you did use stickers on this trip i would really like to know if they came off without any trouble? Read some horror stories about residu on the lights after removing them so i decided to take my LHD to Scotland without stickers last summer. Didn't do a lot of night driving but my light didn't seem to bother other drivers as far as i could notice.

I did however disengage the option where the lights move in the steering direction...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBF100-1 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you did use stickers on this trip i would really like to know if they came off without any trouble? Read some horror stories about residu on the lights after removing them so i decided to take my LHD to Scotland without stickers last summer. Didn't do a lot of night driving but my light didn't seem to bother other drivers as far as i could notice.

I did however disengage the option where the lights move in the steering direction...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBF100-1 met Tapatalk
Hi BartF67
sorry for the late reply, went to France for a month and when I returned the laptop had packed up!
anyway I did use the stickers for the trip and they were fine, no problems whatsoever with residue when removing them, I did try to find the lever for changing them but either it isn't there on the 2016 version or its just me that couldn't find it! anyway the stickers were easy enough but I was rather dismayed as to how bad the dipped beam is on these cars, my moggy minors are better! just fitted some uprated bulbs so hopefully they'll be a bit better now.

is the option for the lights to move in the direction of the steering available on all versions or only on those fitted with xenons? looked on ours and cant seem to find the option.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I used the levers on my 2010 car and it flattens the beam, no-one flashed me and it's been fine all the way on many trips to Southern Italy and France. I've only got nasty horrible halogen headlights though!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts