Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI
It is possible to convert the Giuly’s RHD Head Lights to “LHD” by moving a metal part of the lights(below the lamp) from the left to the right side.
Have done this to my Giuly (RHD) and passed the technical inspection (MOT –Controle Technique) in Belgium.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,007 Posts
Does it change RHD to LHD, or does it just flatten the beam?

ie: "\___ \___" to "___/ ___/" or "____ ____"

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
146/145 used to have a feature like this but it was detailed in the handbook. Great for going abroad!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
how weird! I was thinking of this as I drove in today as I was thinking of taking the long suffering spouse to Italy and could not see how you could attached fresnel lenses to the G headlights

how can you find this "blind" when working in the street? is there a simple "touch clue" and does it need tools?

thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
how weird! I was thinking of this as I drove in today as I was thinking of taking the long suffering spouse to Italy and could not see how you could attached fresnel lenses to the G headlights

how can you find this "blind" when working in the street? is there a simple "touch clue" and does it need tools?

thanks!
No special tools needed.
You only need a mirror and a torch light.
Take out the rear rubber cover of the lights, use the mirror and the torch light to find the metal part discriped above (picture 2 & 3) and finaly use your fingers... to move the metal part towards the right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First of all this is excellent information. Thanks. I tried this on Saturday and at full stretch could move the metal part no problem. Only trouble is I could have sworn that although the drivers side moved to the right the passenger side light was already over to the right. I could only move this to the left. Is this possible? It is possible that I moved it that many times I forgot where it originally was (stupid I know!) just wondered if you could confirm that the metal part needs to go to the right for both front lights!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

The original position (for the RHD cars) is at the left for both lights.
So to flatten the beam "____ ____" just move both metal parts to the right.
You may check the difference against a wall (ie in a garage).

Iacovos

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
First of all this is excellent information. Thanks. I tried this on Saturday and at full stretch could move the metal part no problem. Only trouble is I could have sworn that although the drivers side moved to the right the passenger side light was already over to the right. I could only move this to the left. Is this possible? It is possible that I moved it that many times I forgot where it originally was (stupid I know!) just wondered if you could confirm that the metal part needs to go to the right for both front lights!
Thanks in advance.
Probably set up wrongly at the factory. My mothers previous Grande Punto came with european headlights! They were changed under warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
LHD to RHD

I recently brought over my EU Giulietta (purchased in Greece) to the United Kingdom and soon I will be going through the process of making the necessary modifications in order to pass MOT and register the car with DVLA and get a new registration number/licenses plates.

This advice would have been very helpful if I could open the rubber cap at the back of the headlight. It seems that when Bi-Xenons are fitted to the car the ballast is screwed at the back of the right headlight unit. At the left hand side, there is no ballast and the rubber cap exists, but my hand does not fit between the headlight unit and the screen wash liquid filler... :confused:..
Right side/Left side refers to the side on your right/left from a driver's perspective, not from an outsider's looking at the car front perspective.

Could any other xenon equipped Giulietta owners confirm if they can access the dipped beam light bulbs (and consequently this RHD to LHD or LHD to RHD switch) within the headlight clusters?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On my xenon equipped LHD G ,its definitely not an "on the move" change!
Like yours,on my left headlight,there is a pull out rubber cover but you can only acess it ,if you remove the battery.
On the right headlight,as you say ,there is a metal plate at the back of the headlight that you need to unscrew ,instead of a rubber cover!I am not sure that this metal cover is indeed the ballast inside!If you feel on the bottom and under both headlights ,you will feel 2 metal items ,which maybe the ballasts!Either way changing from LHD to RHD is not as easy as on conventional headlghts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for your response and confirmation, powers2! You may be absolutely right in terms of the ballasts location. I assumed that this was the ballast as I could not think of what other reason would make Alfa to put a metal plate instead of a rubber cover, but had no other proof whatsoever. The key point, though, is, indeed, the change of the headlight beam pattern is not easy or even possible when it comes to the G's bi-xenon clusters.

Which is unfortunate but necessary that I change my headlights in order to pass MOT and register my G in the UK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for your response and confirmation, powers2! You may be absolutely right in terms of the ballasts location. I assumed that this was the ballast as I could not think of what other reason would make Alfa to put a metal plate instead of a rubber cover, but had no other proof whatsoever. The key point, though, is, indeed, the change of the headlight beam pattern is not easy or even possible when it comes to the G's bi-xenon clusters.

Which is unfortunate but necessary that I change my headlights in order to pass MOT and register my G in the UK.
You will have to get new RHD headlights !
I was curious to finding out what that silver plate was on the right side,so I decided to open it!
Its just a cover plate where 2 plugs connections go!You disconnet the plugs and its off.
I looked inside and there is no lever for LHD/RHD conversion and the same goes for the left side headlight.
I also confirmed with a mirror that the xenon ballasts are as I thought,under the headlight.
So we can conclude that on LHD xenon Gs that we cannot "flip" the lever to RHD .Dont know about the halogen equipped Gs but at least we know that the RHD halogen Gs have that option!No big deal,really,I had 1988 M3-e30 which already had the lever:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
You will have to get new RHD headlights !

I also confirmed with a mirror that the xenon ballasts are as I thought,under the headlight.
So we can conclude that on LHD xenon Gs that we cannot "flip" the lever to RHD
Maybe Alfa thought that UK drivers would want to drive abroad (i.e. outside the UK and Ireland) but other "European" drivers would never want to go to the UK. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts