Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Giulietta 170 veloce a while back, we buy any car ( don’t ask ) and have been punting around in my Peugeot 208 GTI prestige which I must say has been great fun. But my wife has moved jobs to literally around the corner, I work not to far away. She had been using the Giulietta so I’m looking to trade in the peugeot for a bigger family car for about £20.000 after discounts. I’ve tried Kia Ceed GT 201 bhp, and Honda Civic sport 182 bhp. The Honda seems the better drivers car with multi link rear suspension. I would go for a Giulia but there just to much money at the moment, and the 120 bhp Giulietta isn’t big enough or fast enough. So I’m pondering ? at the moment any ideas ? please.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also thinking of selling my Giulietta. I love the car, but there are some niggles that annoy me that I find hard to get over. It wasn't as big of a jump from our MiTo (which is staying!) that I thought it would be. I'm finding it extremely hard to find a car that I would want in the same price range / class though. Everything with the same power, style, comfort, mileage and price is much, much more expensive than what we got the Giulietta for (thank you AR depreciation, I guess :p). But then I look at it and I realize that it's going to be hard to part with it.

I secretly very much covet the 3rd gen Lexus GS450H as a commute cruiser. I've found that I really crave having a quiet and comfortable car when I'm not driving for fun. The MiTo is fun to toss in the corners, but less so on commutes/longer trips. The Giulietta, unfortunately, isn't as quiet as I was hoping. It should be noted that Swedish asphalt is very coarce, and most cars that would fare well in Europe get very high NVH here.

£20k would probably land you a nice 4th gen Lexus GS, he he. Plenty of power and decent mileage. The family could cruise in comfort.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How old is the Honda you are looking at? If you really are looking to drive fast the older car suffers from lift off oversteer. Really disconcerting if you go from a G to an Honda. I cant speak for the newest models but even with all of the traction controls etc my G slides when it has to!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New build 2019 civic sport 182 bhp, handles well good fit and finish. Marmite car Looks wise which I like, not golf A3. Touch screen bit **** even with Apple CarPlay. But with discount £19.500 yes I’ve mentioned price, and the door cards are quite substantial ?. Won’t look back as much when I park it in the works car park, but I’ve gone for it. My wife has purchased a Fiat 500 lounge Which she’s sharing with my daughter. So not leaving forum, as waiting for Alfa to bring out mid sized family car in the next 3 years ✊ not into suv. saluto

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did try a Ford Focus st line x 182 bhp which handled a bit better and was tempted, but saw so many that the looks have already been watered down to such a degree, that it put me of.

·
Registered
38,187 Posts
For 20k I would be tempted with a slightly used Seat Leon cupra 290

BMW 6 series Gran coupe?

Loads of great cars around for that sort of price.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There are a few Giulias out there for around £20k or less if you're not too fussy about the spec....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of interest, how closely did the online quote match the IRL quote from we buy any car?
There was a £100 difference, for a touch up paint spot just under the rear screen on the hatch. The car was low mileage and apart from that was mint.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This new Honda Civic caught my attention, but I'm a little bit worried about Honda and turbocharger combination. There are some youtube videos where 1.5 turbo is having oil dillution issues: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honda+1.5+turbo+oil+dillution
Not sure did they solve it or not.
Seems worse in cold climates and with cars with cvt, 2019 models have had a fix? the engine warms from start at a higher revs. The early multiair engines had some problems as do Fords ecoboost engines. Speaking to a neighbour who had one of the first Civics with 1500 vtec his has been fine, so time will tell ? For the next 3 years this will be my family car, just hoping that Alfa will produce a mid size entertaining family hatch that we can all rave About.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There was a £100 difference, for a touch up paint spot just under the rear screen on the hatch. The car was low mileage and apart from that was mint.
Interesting. We have a similarly named (in Swedish) site that does this here. I was expecting high online quotes to bring people in for low-balling and hoping people say yes. Might give them a go for my Giulietta when it's time to sell. Seriously looking at maybe getting a Lexus GS450h now, but like Alfas they are pretty rare here in Sweden (I never learn. I should just get a Volvo).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts