Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, got my 83' Giulietta 1.8 Exec back! Its in bad shape, looking to do semi rebuild. Just wanted to know, the Group One we had in SA, what were the specs? And does someoe have some pics of one, I understand they were homologation (100) . Would like maybe to make a replica.:D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Dont know everything but here is what I know, outside colour RED only, steel bumper model with bumpers also in red with a thick silver pinstripe running through bumpers and side strips, also a silver stripe running along the top leading edge of body with small group one decals in Alfa romeo script infront of where front door and front fender meet., also Carrelo square fog lamps with white carrelo covers(rally style)monted on underside of front bumper, really ugly(but period correct) flat saucer shaped 14 inch light alloys, dimond cut face.
Interior had black dash and panelling(remember interior colour was mostly brown those days so black was very sporty) with specific checkered grey velour seat material.
Engine was stock 1.8 mill with"group 1"cams and a flowed head(I personally believe only the first few had flowed heads afterwich they just stuck the cams in,just my unfounded opinion)
So thats what I know, others can assist where needed.

K

·
0 Posts
The gearbox was a 10/43 and I also heard they had 45 dcoe carbs . There is one in the club and the owner could tell you everything you need to know .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have an old Car test of one, it had 40 webers on the engine shot.10/43 is correct from the car test.

J

·
0 Posts
Yes, the carbs were 40 dcoe. (45's are only needed with a serious race 1800 motor.) They had gtv6 torsion bars in front and Koni dampers.

The steering wheel was covered in black leather and the gear knob was black plastic.

The heads were supposed to be ported. Cams were initially 280 deg with 10.5 mm lift. Later cars had 10.9 mm lift with 280 deg duration. These are the Euro group one cams you can still buy from various sources overseas - Colombo & Bariani. Only difference, the SA cars have regrinds in that profile. Ritchie Jute did the local cam grinding.
They had free flowing larger diameter exhausts. The Car test commented on the extra noise levels. (I stand to be corrected on any of this.)

They built about 200 of them. Included was a "Manx" special with a boot spoiler the only difference I know of.

K

·
0 Posts
If anyone would know it would Jacques as he is the Giulietta expert . Some of thus jute cams were terrible as he used to regrind existing to get profile and you ended up with the hugests shims.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
There is a group 1 in Kimberley behind someone's yard if someone is interested...Kimberley has lots of people living in it but the car drove for a couple months and then broke down and then the owner didn't bother fixing it...i'm pretty sure its somewhere in the North parts of Kimberly, the body was BADLY sun burnt...the red looked like pink!! It was a group 1 nonetheless

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Giuli, would be great to get a group one,got any details about it? So the diffs were the cams and gearbox, any advise to tune up a standard 1.8 to more or less that spec, but still driveable everyday.

J

·
0 Posts
No, the gearbox is the standard Giulietta 10/43 unit.
To make a Group One engine: Skim cyl head to achieve 10:1 CR. Rather buy billet cams from overseas in 10.9mm 280 deg duration, grind and polish the ports, match the inlet and exhaust manifolds. Fit a decent free flowing exhaust. And there you have a Group One motor. I wonder, is Sampie Bosman still around?
Dawie De Villiers (Glenwood) did a very nice porting job on my Giulietta 2L.
Years ago when I had a 1.8 Giulietta, Hennie Vermaak of Alfa Service Centre built me a 1.8 Group One motor. It was a lovely motor, it revved sooooo sweetly to 6800 rpm and sometimes beyond! And it made the most beautiful noises through that 54mm Cowly exhaust too!

J

·
0 Posts
PS: for driveability, modify ignition advance curve for more advance on low rpm and less advance at high rpm.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I'll try and find out where that Group 1 is...there was a group 1 on gumtree with El4Romeo type swak wheels on...it was over R60000 though

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Off the subject Jacques, I was under the impression that my normal Guiliettas and Alfettas, 1800 and 2000, all had 4.1 diffs? They all did 35 km/1000 rpm.

The Berlina had a 4.3 diff. It did something like 30km/1000 rpm.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Off the subject Jacques, I was under the impression that my normal Guiliettas and Alfettas, 1800 and 2000, all had 4.1 diffs? They all did 35 km/1000 rpm.

The Berlina had a 4.3 diff. It did something like 30km/1000 rpm.
Yes - the 2.0 and 1.8 Giuliettas and Alfettas had 10:41 diffs with the 1.6 Giulietta having the 10:43 shorter diff. Not too sure about the Alfetta GT and GTVs.

The 10:43 diffs are quite scarce as they didn't come out in many models at all. From what we've worked out on my Alfetta 159i, it seems that it had its gearbox replaced at some stage of its life. My gear ratios don't match up with the original gearbox and diff speeds. We've come to the conclusion that it must have a 10:41 diff with original 159i (different gear ratios) gearbox in. But then you do the maths again and it seems like it has a 10:43 diff with standard 2.0 gearbox ratios... We don't know. Will take the gearbox out sometime and check. I'm just glad it doesn't have the standard 3.91 diff of the 159i! The gears are already too long for the track, even with the shorter box it has now! :cry:

J

·
0 Posts
Could have been wrong, but as far as i know Giuliettas are 10/43 and Alfettas and Alfetta GTVs are 10/41. Though all mine (2 x 1800Giuliettas and 1 x 2000 Giulietta Executive) have done approx 31km per 1000 rpm, except that Oct 1985 model blue metallic 2L Executive (one of the last ones) that did about 35km per 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Wow...I have a 2.0 GTV gearbox in my Giulietta..the gears are VERY short especialy 1st...what ratio is that?

J

·
0 Posts
To be honest, I find the Giulietta gearing to be irritatingly low for road use.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
To be honest, I find the Giulietta gearing to be irritatingly low for road use.
I had the 1800 Alfetta, then Guilietta and then the Super. I remember the relaxed gearing of the Alfetta after the Berlina. I remember the Giulietta was not as fuel efficient as the Alfetta but had Solex carbs on. But I don't remember a shorter gearing.

I may be wrong as well, the hard drive have rusted solid by now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts