Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning when driving the Giulietta on the N1 I accelerated pretty hard in 5 th gear.

The car felt like it was going nowhere slowly.. It stuttered (and am talking the feeling of someone learning to drive where the car shakes on pull away) even though I had my right foot planted... The turbo boost gauge showed boost going up then falling down then going up and then falling down, instead of staying at full boost.

So I drove the G slowly the rest of the trip. This morning I got in the car hoping yesterday was a once off... Unfortunately not... Car doesn't pull nearly as strongly as it should in the lower gears and I don't get full boost in any of the gears.

And a few minutes ago I took the car for a drive again and a sound all to familiar to me started appearing. A high pitched whining sound (a sound my Polo TDI turbos made before all 3 of them blew up).

If I had to venture a guess I would say my turbo has a small crack in it and it's gonna pop soon... :cry:

Car is booked on for Monday so they can have a look. As a pre emptive measure they have already ordered me a new turbo so that there are no delays if it is in fact the turbo that's on it's way out...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
47 600 km's on the clock now....

The one turbo on my Polo TDI failed 11 000 km's after replacing the previously blown up turbo..

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
its the same friggin turbo thats why.. lol .. ok i dunno the 1.4 .. the 1750 is a kkk03

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often do you change the oil or dealer change it ?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
This whine...is it throughout the rev range or just at certain points?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Krasch, oil was changed at 1000kms, 15000kms, 30000kms and 45000kms

Guili started at certain revs but its now starting across the rev range. Its the exact same thing my polo's turbos did before they went bust.. Trust me I know, have extensive experience in turbos popping.. :cheese:

And I let the car idle a long while before switching off the car so the turbo can cool down a bit. So its not like I haven't been looking after it..

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
fooook! I hope it's a once off thing! I know the Vw thing was blamed on turbos over spooling because of low atmospheric pressure on the reef. The same conclusion was previously drawn by isuzu when their first Kb280's blew turbos!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
im asking because i have a whine aswell but only at lower revs and in 1st and 2nd, vw dont know whst the noise is

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
When my GT turbo popped the second time, the car started sounding like it was supercharged had a hectic whine to it

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VW is talking [email protected] They know exactly what's wrong..

Listen out for that whine... If it starts whining more often or starts spreading to other gears the writing is on the wall...

Ian, drove the Giulietta around the block now and the writing is definitely on the wall for this turbo..

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
lot of guys saying they got a similar whine, lol, lets hope its not turbo

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the VAG drones sure they not confusing spooling for the whine? :cheese:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I had a loss of power and whistling sound when the intercooler tank parted on a turbo engine.

I had the same when the boost pipe burst and air escaped, gradually getting worse as the crack opened up.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its booked in with them..

Corrie I tried to feel if air was escaping from the boost pipe but didnt feel anything. So will have to wait and see what the dealer says..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stefaans,

Ek was met my nuwe 156 GTA by julle en met my Giulietta by julle. Wou daai canvas kom optel. Maar toe is julle lekker op vakansie

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Maybe just a boost pipe lets hope for the best.
I hate KKK turbo’s.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

The turbo is fine!

They removed all the engine covers and the boost pipe has a 4.5cm cut in it.. There is a piece of metal (which seems to hold other engine parts in place) that has been cutting the boost pipe (for ages the dealer suspects). Its a massive cut. I went there to check it out myself. They suspect I was down on power for a long while but didnt notice anything since the cut was small and only opened up gradually...

Obviously with this size cut the whine become noticeable and the loss in power significant enough for me to realize something is wrong.

We checked a few other Giuliettas and not one other Giulietta has that piece of metal so close to the boost pipe as my car... Gotta love Alfa :cheese:

In the meantime while I wait for a boost pipe I am nipping around in a FIAT 500! Very impressed with it!

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
did you take a pic for other drivers to have a look see

1 - 20 of 54 Posts