Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing the oil in the gearbox on my G tomorrow.

How much oil is recommended to be put in?

The book says a certain amount (1.87 litres), but is it advisable to overfill slightly?

I will be using the Fuchs Sintofluid as recommended by Autolusso.

Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers CS. I will just add the 2 litres then.

I bought 3 litres just in case it needed more.

:)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
if you got more, I'd add a bit more make it 2.2 litres.

I don't particularly like the low viscosity index of this oil, overly thick when cold, thin when hot. But I'm sure you'll report back how it shifts. We don't get mega cold here, so might not be an issue.

The other recommended castrol oil holds a lot of PAO, which has some unique properties.

http://www.mne.psu.edu/chang/me462/syn_vs_min.pdf explains a lot in easy terms, xhvi is what's used in the original tutela oil, a less refined oil in the fuchs (group II from the viscosity index)

http://media.noria.com/sites/magazine_images/201210/josh_graph_oils.jpg

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheer folks, 2.2 litres it is.

I will report back.

The gearchange was ok but nothing special beforehand.

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, not long finished and taken the car from a spin.

The gearchange is much improved. It now feels light and positive, and snicks into gear cleanly where as before it was rather clunky.

I didn't really have any selection issues beforehand, my only gripe was the lack of smoothness between shifts.

Now the car feels like it has a totally different gearbox fitted.

A couple of other points to note. The oil which came out seemed thinner than the stuff I put in, it also smelled different to how gear oil usually smells. There was only a very small amount of metal particles on the sump plug magnet and none in the oil drain container.

I am thinking that the oil which came out was the original fill as it was quite dark (although it was still clear rather than cloudy).

Overall I think it was well worth the £30 for the oil and the time taken to change it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts