Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there is to be a Giulietta "wagon" for 2013 launch. If I were Alfa I would bring it to market ASAP..

TURIN – Alfa Romeo will add a wagon version to its Giulietta model line in Europe by mid-2013, two company executives told Automotive News Europe.

The wagon would complement the hatchback version of the Giulietta, the Italian automaker's top-selling model, and provide parent Fiat S.p.A. with a much-needed and long-awaited competitor in a key segment.

The Fiat, Alfa and Lancia brands have not offered a compact wagon since early 2008, which is when the poor-selling Fiat Stilo Multi Wagon was discontinued. Wagons account for almost a quarter of compact sales in Europe and command more than three quarters of compact sales in major markets such as Germany and Italy.

The Giulietta wagon also will provide Alfa and its dealers with a boost as they await the arrival of a mid-sized model, dubbed the Giulia, and a large crossover in late 2013. Alfa will get the Giulia, which will replace the 159, and the crossover from one of Chrysler's U.S. plants. Fiat has a controlling 53.5 percent stake in Chrysler Group LLC.

Alfa currently has just two models to offer – the MiTo three-door subcompact and the Giulietta. The automaker stopped making the slow-selling 159 mid-sized sedan and wagon in November in Pomigliano d'Arco, Italy, to make room for the new-generation Fiat Panda minicar.

Alfa's European sales were up 21 percent to 122,401 units in the first 11 months, according to figures from industry association ACEA. The Giulietta accounted for almost 60 percent of Alfa's total European sales through September, according to data from market researcher JATO Dynamics.

The sources said Alfa does not plan to sell the Giulietta wagon in North America because customers there prefer sedans and crossovers. Alfa also may reverse its plan to export a restyled Giulietta hatchback to the United State in mid-2013. U.S. clinics showed that the Giulietta's cockpit feels too narrow to potential customers there, one of the sources said.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20111220/ANE/111219870#ixzz1h3zS1z2A

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good Nev, now if you could just PM me next weeks Euromillions lottery numbers I would be most appreciative! ;)

·
Administrator
87,052 Posts
What do I win?! :D:D:D

A 5Dr Mito :EVIL:

:p

Good skills, now could you please predict that they make a 3Dr/Coupe version of the Giulietta :thumbs:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Interesting about re-thinking the idea of the Giullietta for the US market as its "too narrow" Did they not plan to export a 5 door Mito as well? Perhaps this is reacting to the slower than expected sales of the Fiat 500, I think this story is good news but it does show some lack of forward thinking...

The US consumer is perhaps still hanging onto their love of bigger cars... It will maybe mean the Giulia is given a higher priority hopefully. and the C-SUV ;)

A 3 door coupe based on the Giulia would be a better idea than on the Giulietta ...

·
Administrator
87,052 Posts
A 3 door coupe based on the Giulia would be a better idea than on the Giulietta ...

Like the 159 based Brera was over the 147/156 based GT :confused:

;)

Also if it's based on the Giulia I doubt we'll see a 3Dr/Coupe version until 2015 at the soonest as the Giulia isn't due until 2012 2014 at the moment, that's a long time for Alfa to be without a 3Dr/Coupe.

G

·
0 Posts
I would have bought one recently if it was available. Instead I bought a Ford Focus Estate (159 estate just too big) as the family wagon. Good move, but they need to get it into the market asap.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We saw an official rendering at Geneva this year:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nothing official yet from the Fiat "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" product plan, but potentially good news. Now all they need are 3-door/coupe and 4-door saloon versions, and they might be getting close to something that looks like a range of cars.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry if that sounds daft, but what would be the difference between a Giulietta and a "Giulietta-wagon"?
I mean - it already has 4 doors and a tailgate. What would they change? Make it 10 cm longer? :confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Don't think I will get too excited yet as this article mentions the crossover from a US plant yet it has been reported that SM has already canned the crossover idea.

More 'blah, blah, blah' from non important execs IMO.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The giulietta c-evo platform was unsuitable for the US as well as the tire selection. The CXover is still on course for the Belvidere IL works. We don't detest four door hatchbacks.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Sorry if that sounds daft, but what would be the difference between a Giulietta and a "Giulietta-wagon"?
I mean - it already has 4 doors and a tailgate. What would they change? Make it 10 cm longer? :confused:
Interesting point which i was discussing earlier. I would not have thought a 5 door car to be a hatchback, only 3 door cars. Saying that, you can hardly call the current guiletta an estate.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thought the c-evo platform was providing the underpinnings for the forthcoming new Jeep Liberty / Cherokee due out 2012 / 2013? Understanding is that this will be all-wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I have read the C-Evo platform is indeed capable of FWD or AWD

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
maybe, rather make a 5 door estate, Alfa might surprise us with less of an estate, and more of a 3 door shooting break, like the Lancia HPE and Volvo P1400 (?).

A sexy little lifestyle car that's practical enough to be useful, and smart enough to be desirable as well as partly addressing the fact there are no coupes in Alfa's line up :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts