Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly greetings from Italy. I'll keep it brief. Have hired a Giulietta for the fortnight and wanted to vent an opinion.

Summary - quite brilliant. It's 'only' the 1.6JTDm but it is on no way a poor relation. Comfortable, roomy, quiet, quick (will expand on that in a second),, well made, attractive (although wouldn't have it in silver). In short a cracker

DNA - I get it now. OK so steering a bit slushy in N, as is throttle response. However for blatting up and down motorways or in town it is perfect. In D she really comes to life. Throttle response sharpens (too sharp for town driving) steering firms up and becomes 'tighter'. Ideal for the back roads and the wee 1.6 is surprisingly quick in this mode. Pulls off the rare ability to both handle decently and ride well. Economy so far is proving brilliant - but who wants to hear about that. Styling internally and externally is lovely. Something to behold.

Bad points - there are some. That steering wheel is really cack. Can I have the one off my GT please . . . . . Seat squabs are a bit flat and shapeless . . . . . . . Pillars are a bit thick (but presumably the price to pay for that crash test rating) . . . . . . .16'' wheels look like castors . . . . . . . . Some of the lower plastics a bit low rent but that same criticism applies to most cars these days - even the much vaunted Audis.. . . . . . .erm . . . . . . . . . that's it!

In short - in every way an Alfa Romeo but without any of the caveats we seem to have had to accept. Quite brillliant and a great effort. Bravo Alfa Romeo

Greetings from la bellissima Toscana and speak again soon.

Ciao

Steven

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Steven

I had the luck of driving a 1.4 Twinair Giulietta as a loan car a little while back, that car could get me into a lotta trouble!!:D

One drawback of the UK cars is that the tunnel is biased toward the right hand side, giving LHD cars lots of foot well space, but RHD cars are very cramped.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Steven

One drawback of the UK cars is that the tunnel is biased toward the right hand side, giving LHD cars lots of foot well space, but RHD cars are very cramped.
That's heritage that is. All the 60's / 70's 105 series cars do the same with an offset transmission. I think the designers assumption (certainly in the '60's) was that in Italy the driver would be a slightly overweight man, but the passenger a slim, lissome companion and the spaces were made accordingly. In a RHD territory those positions are reversed. My recommendation is to start losing weight now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's heritage that is. All the 60's / 70's 105 series cars do the same with an offset transmission. I think the designers assumption (certainly in the '60's) was that in Italy the driver would be a slightly overweight man, but the passenger a slim, lissome companion and the spaces were made accordingly. In a RHD territory those positions are reversed. My recommendation is to start losing weight now.
Or start driving at the "right" side of a car :lol: .

·
Registered
277 Posts
They are really good cars, i have to agree regards the footspace on the right hand side/uk drivers side, pity they couldnt have included a drivers footrest...

It is surprising as the MiTo QV has a drivers footrest on the right side and i thought that the MiTo is soo much smaller inside.

As for the DNA god everyone i know who has tried one says D nothing else D performance is then tight and you certainly can attack bends with more confidence ...dont ask me why.

My wife sells them and today we get Giulietta no3 albeit a dealer demo but 1.6 JTDM lusso (lusso again :-( ..) just for once i know she had an etna black veloce scoped out but it was poo pooed in favour of the Lusso in Alfa Red Metallic....(not my favourite colour!!)...18" alloys make a much better impression especially the turbine alloys in anthracite...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple of pics for you. Mine was the silver one but I prefer the white by a long way.

As an aside - wasn't disappointed to get back in my GT once I got back (creaks and rattles aside) it just seems to have a bit more brio

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts