Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:DA source speaking on condition of anonymity reported to Edmunds inside line from Torino that the Giulietta will be launched in America during 2011, with a quadrifoglio verde version to follow. Apparently, MiTo is still iffy, but possible. Production at the Consiglio works in Italy will increase by 50%. :D:thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
If Alfa indeed do start selling the Giulietta in the USA, will be interesting to see if the Americans take to it.

Would have thought it may not be big enough/powerful enough for their liking?

Looks like AR have resurrected their SUV plans as well. That could be popular with the countless "Soccer Moms".

A large volume selling model in the world's biggest single auto market certainly will be a much needed boost for AR.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
If Alfa indeed do start selling the Giulietta in the USA, will be interesting to see if the Americans take to it.

Would have thought it may not be big enough/powerful enough for their liking?

Looks like AR have resurrected their SUV plans as well. That could be popular with the countless "Soccer Moms".

A large volume selling model in the world's biggest single auto market certainly will be a much needed boost for AR.

Fingers crossed.
I agree but will they be able to squeeeeeze themselves into a Giulietta?.......let alone a MiTo?:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Would be suicide to launch any of the current range in the US.

(Let alone a 5 door hatchback.)

I couldn't imagine a small Alfa coping well with any Californian
Highways or Interstates.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Giulietta veloce at 170 hp will be more than adequate for our market, especially with the automated gearbox and multi-air engine. It would need a tire change to either Pirelli P zero nero AS or Goodyear Eagle GT AS probably in the northeastern or upper midwestern states. I am buying one soon after launch to include part use for auxiliary police duty. I am considering using the custom build program or a drop ship to Autodelta for a tuned catback exhaust and a tuned intake. Americans are taking to smaller more efficient cars with higher technology. :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
A 1.8 tbi would be a decent car otherwise a 1.4 of any ilk will be working hard.
My 2.0 TS Alfa 147 has insufficient power to go up hillocks (small hills ;)) at 60 mph using cruise control without slowing significantly.
My Volvo C30 2.4i just romps up them and gets better fuel economy. When traveling I do not want to be 'rowing' the car using it's gearbox.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You've got to remember that loads of US kids want hip and trendy cars, the Mini is doing well and loads of small Japanese cars have done well because of a number of reasons.

COST and RELIABILITY being among them.

If Alfa do import the two small cars in the range in will be the start of something good, IF, they get the dealers on side.

The small cars won't have a problem on the Highways in the states,

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Highways or Interstates.
Why not? Americans DO buy small cars; as for coping with Interstates, etc., a few weeks back at a hotel in Houston, TX, I parked next to a California-registered Toyota Yaris.

A car that can cope with Italian Autostrade, German Autobahnen, British Motorways, etc., will have no problems with US highways, although Americans will always want the biggest available engines, despite being a nation of slow drivers. . .

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
: Production at the Consiglio works in Italy will increase by 50%. :D:thumbs:
That will be the Cassino works :thumbs:

Its a no brainer for Alfa though. They need to shift more cars and they now have a free dealer network in the US. Why not try. If it doesnt sell they havent spent a fortune on infrastructure so no loss.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I think the Mito might do well in large cities like New York and San Francisco, the Giulietta and 159 should do well everywhere they're just a great looking cars with great engines. The Americans are still addicted to automatic gears but are switching from their highway barges to more fuel efficient cars, so the TV says anyway.:p

N

·
0 Posts
I think the Mito might do well in large cities like New York and San Francisco, the Giulietta and 159 should do well everywhere they're just a great looking cars with great engines. The Americans are still addicted to automatic gears but are switching from their highway barges to more fuel efficient cars, so the TV says anyway.:p
A Poor MiTo wouldn't last a week in a New York winter. Apparently. :p

And the US' Idea of fuel efficient car is an SUV that's been Hybridized:

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid | Official Site of the Ford Escape Hybrid | FordVehicles.com

;)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Highways or Interstates.
Why not? Having driven hire cars in US including California I don't see the problem. The only thing I can think of is that US petrol is a lower RON so ignition is retarded and you don't get as much power. Still with anything but our base engines, the power to weight ratio should be fine, so where's the problem?

US road surfaces can be a bit crappy and uneven in comparison to ours but the 159/Brera/Spider have really nice suspension that would deal with this, so I would imagine Guiletta would do too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Of course the guiletta and Mito could deal with US roads and conditions. Compared to the state of ours theirs are like glass.

Also, I don't think many of us on here are qualified to say what the Americans want in a car and what cars will and won't suceed. If an American says that a Guiletta would be a great car for the US market I think his finger is closer to the pulse than most on this forum.

When I was in New York (last winter) Most of the cars apart form Taxis where small Japanease cars. We hired a toyota Corolla to drive up through New England to Vermont and it was pretty lame compared to anything I've driven here but it did the job.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Was it a saloon or a hatchback?
Do you know what, I'm not sure. Completely different shape to the one we get other here. Bit bigger and with the weediest engine ever mated to a 4 speed box with OVERDRIVE! God it was slow.

I think it was a saloon.:confused:

N

·
0 Posts
I think it was a saloon.:confused:
I'm pretty sure it would have been too. ;)

The reason I'm Dissing Alfa launching in the US with the current range
is the fact that they need to have mass market appeal to justify the
cost of setting up a dealer network/distribution and servicing.

5 door hatchbacks will just not cut it in my opinion.

Even the VW in that top seller list is a Jetta.
Position 15 for the hard to beat Germans.

;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts