Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got given a Giulietta as a courtesy car today from Bishops, Guildford whilst my 159 is in for service & a few niggles to be fixed.

It's a 1.6 diesel, which in Dynamic mode drives great, but how the hell do you get comfortable in it?????

I'm a normal bloke, but with the seat in the correct position the gear lever seems too far forward & how big is the gear knob!

Where do you put your left foot when not using the clutch?

Why don't the seats have any side support - I took the scenic route home & got thrown al over the place - Got to say I'm not impressed.

Is this just me?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've read a few reviews (including Clarkson's :rolleyes: ) where they say the drivers seat is not designed for a human being. To be honest I'm not sure what they are complaining about, I'm 6' and it only took me a few mins during the test drive to find a seat height/position/steering wheel layout that suited me and I've never had any problems reaching anything. The seat could have more lateral support, but I still find it very comfortable.

I admit the lack of a left foot rest did niggle to start with but it's like anything else - if it's different from your last car you'll notice it and within a week or so it becomes normal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep, I've noticed I don't even use my partners cars drivers footrest anymore either, and when forcing myself to use it, it feels weird :lol:

Seat height, keep it low and you won't have any problems.. if you've got it jacked up to full height and your head is touching the roof lining you're doing it wrong. The seat raising is designed for short drivers, not beanpoles like Clarkson.

There are plenty of shopping trolley hatch alternatives with raised driving positions and no sporting intentions if you're worried about being too low to the ground.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've read a few reviews (including Clarkson's :rolleyes: ) where they say the drivers seat is not designed for a human being. To be honest I'm not sure what they are complaining about, it took me a few mins during the test drive to find a seat height/position/steering wheel layout that suited me and I've never had any problems reaching anything. The seat could have more lateral support, but I still find it very comfortable.

I admit the lack of a left foot rest did niggle to start with but it's like anything else - if it's different from your last car you'll notice it and within a week or so it becomes normal.
Where's Clarkson's review of the Giulietta? Do you have a link. I find the Giulietta more comfortable than the 159.....It's certainly more refined.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Must say I found it very comfy minus the armrest, elbow, gearstick issues
I do seem to be the right size for the car though ie. a bit on the small side @ 5' 8"
Could be these cars are designed for an average Italian ?????? According to this
http://www.interbasket.net/news/4385/2009/09/average-height-by-country-males-20-years/
I'm bang on the money and Italy is quite a long way down that list.

I've always found a clutch rest a bit alien and leave my foot on the pedal or on the floor when cruising.
Anyway I decided to go for TCT so none of these issues apply to me, sure I'll have a few of my own.

I can't resist pointing this out about reviewers at any opportunity I get. he's 5'11" and a bit on the .. well he's having a bit of trouble getting comfy poor soul.
Stupid car reviewer points out the obvious - YouTube

but not all cars fit everyone and that's going to be the most personal choice. Soooo . for giggles.....
Big man in a miata - YouTube
will he question manufacturers MPG and 0-60 times ^^
Tall Man in a Tiny Race Car - Car and Driver - YouTube

Clarkson entertains .. May is the Brains of the outfit, when it comes to opinion, well its obvious really.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I'm 6ft and don't have any issues. The gear knob may be big, but it's comfortable to grab at any angle. If it's too far from you to reach, but you're saying the pedals are the correct distance, then bring the seat back more upright.
As for seat support, I have the leather ones and they do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
6'1", seat low, back more upright, moderate lumbar support. Almost perfect comfort.
Footrest: became a non-issue after 3 days. Now I wonder why my wife's Mazda needs one. Foot flat to floor or on bulkhead with knee in the beautifully sculpted curve on the central console (yes, it is shaped to fit legs and hold you laterally).
Seat "grip": sit well back, and slightly upright, adjust steering wheel reach and height so wrists on top of wheel and shoulders back into seat. Relax. If you tense up and lean forward while steering (which you will have to do if the seat is raked steeply, or if you have the wheel at "arms fully outstretched") then you are going to get less seat support laterally.

and, relax ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a Giulietta 140 Veloce on order to replace my 147 as a company car (would have kept the 147 if I could!). I had the Giulietta for a 4 day test drive, and must say that I agree with Familyguy666; the seats aren't as comfortable or supportive as the ones in my 147 (especially laterally) by a long way. I'll get used to it, but I think that the original poster made a fair comment, nothing's perfect!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both my wife and I believe that the leather Giulietta seats are more comfortable and supportive than our 147 with leather seats. I have a "slipped" disc producing sciatica currently and, though getting in and out is painful, the seats give good support. Acid test next Wed when I drive to see a neurosurgean in Plymouth, 2 hrs away.

My wife is 5ft 3in and I am 6ft 3in so the electric seats with memorised positions are a real blessing.

My only gripe is that my most comfortable position puts me too high to see the indicator lights. Why can't these be at the foot of the display? To see them I have to drive with my hands at shoulder level which is very tiring. This has always been true of Alfas and I had hoped that it wouldn't follow into the Giulietta.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I´m 7´1" and i have to say i had a few problems with the seats. Mainly cause the seat can´t be tilted (don´t have electric adjustable seats) so i went to the garage and they gave me 2 longer screws and a 2 weary long oversize nuts to put under the front of the rail the seats goes in, and by doing that lifting it in the front by 1,5-2", that made a big difference to me, now i can get a big closer to the wheel and the gear lever, and my legs don´t go numb after 30 min. Oh, and they must be made for fat people, they are way bigger to the side than the ones in my 156.
But it drives well and i really really like it, just used 5 hours today washing and polishing it and it still needs the inside done to :cool:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A few of my G owning pals complain about the seats. Mainly, they say the squab is to short & the angle puts pressure on your thighs.

I've driven 2 GQV's. One with the standard seats & one with the full monty option seats. The latter were way better IMHO but the first were ok & certainly better than those in a Golf / Skoda.

A Focus beats them both though (and lack the footrest) ;)

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
A few of my G owning pals complain about the seats. Mainly, they say the squab is to short & the angle puts pressure on your thighs.

I've driven 2 GQV's. One with the standard seats & one with the full monty option seats. The latter were way better IMHO but the first were ok & certainly better than those in a Golf / Skoda.

A Focus beats them both though (and lack the footrest) ;)
I found that adjusting the reach on the steering wheel makes a big difference to the feeling of back support .The cushion does feel short but I do not miss the footrest and space that comes with it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I´m 7´1" and i have to say i had a few problems with the seats. Mainly cause the seat can´t be tilted (don´t have electric adjustable seats) so i went to the garage and they gave me 2 longer screws and a 2 weary long oversize nuts to put under the front of the rail the seats goes in, and by doing that lifting it in the front by 1,5-2", that made a big difference to me, now i can get a big closer to the wheel and the gear lever, and my legs don´t go numb after 30 min. Oh, and they must be made for fat people, they are way bigger to the side than the ones in my 156.
But it drives well and i really really like it, just used 5 hours today washing and polishing it and it still needs the inside done to :cool:
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking to do the same in my G QV, as i had done many years ago for my Alfa 33:D. Now i will also go for this solution.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought this was pretty important. My mom has just had her hip replaced & is finding it difficult to get comfortable. Anyway she can get comfortable in her Lexus Ct200h but she got rear ended by an errant fiesta driver so ghats out go be fixed. Her courtesy car is a C350 CDI (yes this is where our insurance premiums are going), but the point is she is finding it impossible to get comfortable in it. Took her out in my car today and she brought her cushion with her(!). After a minute she said I don't need this and after three hours sat in the passenger seat commented how comfortable the seats are & supportive. Now I find that I can drive the Giulietta for hours and get out fresh as a daisy, but for someone who is discerning to comment favourably too - that's really good I think!

·
Registered
578 Posts
my only concern is the steering column. I'm 5'11'' , I think because of my leg length i always drive far from the pedals, back upright, and steering wheel as near to me as it can. I had no issues with this position with in any other car but in giulietta, steering column touches my kness. if i play with the steering column, then i cannot see the dials. Alfa's has always a higher seating position than other cars, (my gtv was also like this and i had to play with the bolts to make the seats lower) but i had no problems with the column since.
i think the seats are comfortable but til now my insignia's seats are the best.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not had issues with the actual seat itself, mainly that once im set up with the seat and steering, the gearstick is a bit too far away. So im forced to sit a bit closer than to the pedals, uncomfortable at first but i think i got used to it now...

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
As I've pointed out before the shape of the gear knob encourages gripping rather than palming it into position and the action of gripping reduces reach. At least that's ergonomic theory I learned on my degree.I remember the diagram .
I was always told by my dad and the driving instructor to push the lever with the palm and fingers and coincidently this gives a longer reach.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
As I've pointed out before the shape of the gear knob encourages gripping rather than palming it into position and the action of gripping reduces reach. At least that's ergonomic theory I learned on my degree.I remember the diagram .
I was always told by my dad and the driving instructor to push the lever with the palm and fingers and coincidently this gives a longer reach.
Wow! That sounds like some pretty special instructor! I think mine was too busy gripping the seat and grab handle to inform me of good practice like that!!

More refined style now, honest!!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts