Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GQV developed a problem last Sat where the revs don't drop very fast during gear changes while accelerating.
When the car is stationary it seems to be ok, but when I start to pull away and get boost from the turbo then go to change gear the revs drop very slowly so when you lift the clutch in the next gear I get a bit of a lurch forward for a second.
eg, accelerate to 4000rpm in 2nd then change into 3rd and the revs have only dropped to about 3600 and 3rd at the same speed requires about 3000rpm so the engine is revving 600rpm or so faster than needed.
The harder i accelerate the slower the revs drop.
It is happening about 70-80% of the time now.

It started happening at about 10:30 last Sat so I took it straight round to the dealers and they managed to have a look at it, but there was no faults showing on the computer and they couldnt reproduce it.
I went up the road with the engineer and it was behaving normal so thought it was just an Alfanomaly and had fixed itself.
Unfortunately on the way home it started again and has been on and off since.
I booked it in for today and went out with the engineer and it played up with both of us driving which was good.
This is a new one on him so they are going to get in some parts as he thinks it might be a mechanical item, possibly the variable blades in the turbo sticking because there are no fault codes showing. Going to be in for 2-3 days while they do some trial and error part changing.

Has anyone else encountered similar symptoms and has it been fixed?
If so what was the cause?

It's not causing too much of a problem to drive so i have booked it in for 4th Jan as xmas is a busy time for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have problems. I havent encountered anything similar but as you know my G has very low miles. Keep us posted !

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that you have problems. I havent encountered anything similar but as you know my G has very low miles. Keep us posted !
No problem. Just passed 6600 miles last night. Will keep everyone informed on the progress but its a couple of weeks away before its looked at.

See you in the new year :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe you should tell him the QV doesn't have a VNT turbo, thats going to save him a lot of time in his trial & error ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes...I get this too. It's been doing it from new though so just thought it was normal. But yes, sometimes the revs stay high after gear change without my foot on the accelerator, and it lasts 2 - 4 secs.

It's annoying, let me know what you find out and if it is indeed a fault. I might get mine checked anyway now, but obviously any findings you get could be of help, so your feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, mine has now been ok since xmas day when i went to Burton to visit my brother.
I have been to Nottingham & Mansfield too and still ok.
I don't know what the garage will be able to do if its working when i take it in :(

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes...I get this too. It's been doing it from new though so just thought it was normal. But yes, sometimes the revs stay high after gear change without my foot on the accelerator, and it lasts 2 - 4 secs.

It's annoying, let me know what you find out and if it is indeed a fault. I might get mine checked anyway now, but obviously any findings you get could be of help, so your feedback would be appreciated.
Hi, that sounds exactly the same as my problem. The higher the revs when you change gear the longer they take to drop when you change gear. At 5500rpm it takes 4-5 seconds to drop to tick over.
It's as though the turbo is still spinning and compressing the air/fuel mixture. I suspect it's something like the dump valve sticking closed and rather than venting the compressed air through the valve it's being vented the only place it can and that's through the engine's inlet.
It has to be a fault as it isn't how it should be and is intermittent.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
on the GT 3.2 it stuck when there was a leak in the intake pipe. Check for leaks on all the plumbing

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's now been ok since xmas eve :rolleyes:

Typical.
Have phoned dealer this morning and he says bring it in anyway and have a word with the top mechanic.
I don't think its a pipe as it is so intermittant, but you never know.

I suspect i'll be bringing it home and taking it back when/if it starts doing it again.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to Guests this morning and as i predicted the fault still hasn't come back.
This means that they can't go changing this and that to locate it so i didn't leave it there.
They said if it starts again to bring it straight back and they will get on to it.

I mentioned both my theory of the dump valve or waste gate and also the flywheel suggestion and the mechanic says they are both possibilities.
Fly wheel wise, he said it could be the clutch plate dragging on it which could use the flywheel's energy to keep the engine reving. He suggested a way to test this, which is when it is doing it next time to pop it in to neutral and release the clutch. If the revs drop straight away then it is the clutch dragging. If not then it could be a turbo issue. He did say though that if it is a turbo problem it should be showing an overboost fault.
He has checked and says there is no mentions of this problem before on the internal Alfa technical site.

If it comes back and gets resolved i'll let you know, for now i'm just going to continue driving and having fun. :)

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Dual mass flywheel fault, have seen this 3 times before as diagnosed by alfa technical
This makes no sense on a Quad as its a solid flywheel?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This makes no sense on a Quad as its a solid flywheel?
I didn't think it had one either, aren't they used mainly on Disesels?
The mechanic didn't correct me when i mentioned dual mass, but he did say it could be the clutch plate dragging on the flywheel. i suppose if the clutch is dragging on the flywheel then would it matter if it is dual mass or solid?

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
IMO yes and no.. i just dont see a car that nw dragging.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts