Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to book my 4000 mile Cloverleaf back into the dealers for the 3rd time (broken bonnet release handle & engine misfire previously).

I have a problem with the steering which initially I thought was my imagination but its got much worse. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Its OK driving around town or on bendy A roads but on the motorway the steering goes tight like the power steering has failed before suddenly going 'light' without warning.
Also it some times feels like driving an old series 2/3 Landrover with worn out steering box!
Sacred myself yesterday on the M4, thought it wasn't going to free-up.

It only happens on motorways where the steering held straight for long periods & it feels worse in Dynamic mode.

Got to be a problem with the electric power steering, it will be difficult for the dealer to experience the problem without heading off down the motorway for half an hour!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't that a feature of "speed sensitive power steering" ???
D mode, the steering is meant to feel heavier.
yes but I'm talking about a proper fault that has developed in the last 1000 miles or so.

It feels like a worn steering box on an old Landrover (before rack & pinion sytems) at times & sometimes it feels like the steering has locked solid before suddenly 'letting go'.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
significantly serious that I would just tell the garage to swap it out (steering unit, motors and ECU) and diagnose it on the bench - is it a potentially fatal issue, and should NOT be on the road?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Twice my power steering has failed to work when starting the car. Both times there has been no problem after turning on and off the engine and ignition again. I've never experienced issues while driving. Steering is a bit important so I guess I would head straight to the dealer if that were to happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will be something very difficult to diagnose, in each case I had been travelling for at least 30 mins & in one case for over an hour.

To reproduce the fault the steering needs only tiny amounts of steering input over long period.
Any kind of normal twisty roads its OK.

Trying to get it into the dealer at earliest opportunity

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering probs alfa g.

I had something similar happening with my G, the car felt like it was on rails and the steering wheel pulled. Alfa said it was the lec steering correcting so left it. Just changed the tyres and the problems gone? Had conti on now gone for bridgstone. Tyre fitter said the camber was out on two corners which could have added to prob.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Pegasus,

Did you ever solve this problem as i'm experiencing the very same effect, it's making the car virtually undriveable?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Giulietta steering problems

My 13 plate sportivia has just developed the same fault. Switching DNA into any mode the steering goes light above 70mph and hunts about as if there is excessive play in the rack. Just covered 8K miles and going back to the dealer on Friday. If anybody has had this problem sorted out could you let me know, might save time and hassle at the garage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same thing happened to me, Benguela Alfa Romeo replaced the whole rack as they couldn't pin point the problem, problem was totally solved. Unfortunately I no longer own the car

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
Winky wonky said " Benfield Alfa Romeo replaced the whole rack as they couldn't pin point the problem, problem was totally resolved"
Yours seemed better after tyre pressures change?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Winky wonky said " Benfield Alfa Romeo replaced the whole rack as they couldn't pin point the problem, problem was totally resolved"
Yours seemed better after tyre pressures change?
It certainly is better but i'm still not convinced, tomorrow however i'm off on a long motorway run to Scotland so i'll know for sure.
It still seems to 'twitch' a tiny bit.
I'm even wondering if it's just that I need to get to electric steering after years of using the hydraulic system.
Or perhaps its the new Pirellis causing the problem.
But it sure doesn't drive like any other car i've driven and over the last 3 months i've driven over 15 different hire cars without so much as a glitch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I replaced the original Bridgestone (I think) tyres for Dunlop SportMax I've noticed it's far more "sqirmey". For example when you're in the tramlines that wagons make on motorways or even when crossing solid white lines it'll feel, well the best description is, sqirmey. I've not tried messing with tyre pressures. Maybe G's are sensitive to tyre types?
I don't notice a huge difference between hydraulic and electric. If anything its less sensitive and needs less correction not more, particularly on dual carriageways or motorways.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I replaced the original Bridgestone (I think) tyres for Dunlop SportMax I've noticed it's far more "sqirmey". For example when you're in the tramlines that wagons make on motorways or even when crossing solid white lines it'll feel, well the best description is, sqirmey. I've not tried messing with tyre pressures. Maybe G's are sensitive to tyre types?
I don't notice a huge difference between hydraulic and electric. If anything its less sensitive and needs less correction not more, particularly on dual carriageways or motorways.
You'd be surprised how much difference tyres and tyre pressure can make to cars, especially those that are lowered. Can I ask why you replaced the factory-fit tyres?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You'd be surprised how much difference tyres and tyre pressure can make to cars, especially those that are lowered. Can I ask why you replaced the factory-fit tyres?
They wore out, no other reason. Fronts were scrubbed on the inside pretty badly, should have kept a closer eye on them and had the tracking checked:rolleyes:

I thought I would give Dunlop's a try as they appear to be slightly quieter (according to the db numbers). I think they are but it's marginal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
They wore out, no other reason. Fronts were scrubbed on the inside pretty badly, should have kept a closer eye on them and had the tracking checked:rolleyes:

I thought I would give Dunlop's a try as they appear to be slightly quieter (according to the db numbers). I think they are but it's marginal.
Ah fair enough mate! I've had Dunlop's on my previous two motors (non factory fit) and they did seem quieter - and lasted longer than the tyres which came with the cars originally.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts