Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to replace the original grille on my 2010 Giulietta with the updated honeycomb style grille, however upon trying to get the bumper off I have found that 2 of the bolts on the top of the bumper (accessed from under the bonnet) are threaded and will need to be drilled :( A quick search in these forums and I found a thread linking this site which has the replacement bolts and the bracket I need https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en/catalog/parts/707/26/20/1/X7/0/0/CC2.0/CMBDS/GDX/front-bumper-clamps
Problem is the site doesn't seem to function as when I try to add the items to cart I get "Page not found." If anyone knows of a site where I'd be able to get the bolts it would be greatly appreciated - the part numbers of what I need are: 50 515 635, 670 007 603, and 50 515 638.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You’ll get away without drilling them. The torx tends to fuse with the outer screw making it hard to separate.
The trick is to loosen the Outer screw by turning it to the right (I know, it sounds odd).
Once you can see about 5-10mm of the out screw (careful not to snap the plastic clips), you can then grip the outer screw with some pliers, it has to be a really tight grip. Then unscrew the torx as you typically would.
It’s a faff but saves having to drill out the screws. I did it a couple of weekends ago as 3 of the 4 on mine did this.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’ll get away without drilling them. The torx tends to fuse with the outer screw making it hard to separate.
The trick is to loosen the Outer screw by turning it to the right (I know, it sounds odd).
Once you can see about 5-10mm of the out screw (careful not to snap the plastic clips), you can then grip the outer screw with some pliers, it has to be a really tight grip. Then unscrew the torx as you typically would.
It’s a faff but saves having to drill out the screws. I did it a couple of weekends ago as 3 of the 4 on mine did this.
Hope this helps
I had actually been messing with the torx and noticed that when I turned it clockwise the screw underneath started to loosen however as it was pushing the bumper up I was worried about it cracking. But hearing that you've had success doing this I'll give it a go, hopefully have a pair of small enough pliers lying around.
Cheers for the suggestion, much appreciated!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had actually been messing with the torx and noticed that when I turned it clockwise the screw underneath started to loosen however as it was pushing the bumper up I was worried about it cracking. But hearing that you've had success doing this I'll give it a go, hopefully have a pair of small enough pliers lying around.
Cheers for the suggestion, much appreciated!
That was my nervousness too, I wouldn’t fancy unscrewing them the length of the screw, especially at each the end as they also have a bracket securing the headlights, 5-10mm is enough to get some pliers in. Good luck

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
I had the exact same issue with mine. The lower part of the fastner came up with the centre screw and it actually starts to lift the top edge of the bumper with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my nervousness too, I wouldn’t fancy unscrewing them the length of the screw, especially at each the end as they also have a bracket securing the headlights, 5-10mm is enough to get some pliers in. Good luck
I will give it a go soon hopefully. I just got done refurbing the alloys, spraying my calipers red and fitting some spacers, the car has been up on stands for too long and im pretty keen to get it back on the road so may put off doing the bumper for a few days. Regardless thanks for the help I feel a bit better about tackling the job now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the exact same issue with mine. The lower part of the fastner came up with the centre screw and it actually starts to lift the top edge of the bumper with it.
[/QUOT
Also found that multiple wheel arch lining screws are stuck on mine 🤦‍♂️, wish it was as easy as the videos I've watched make it seem. Guess I cant be too surprised owning a 2010 Giulietta.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also found that multiple wheel arch lining screws are stuck on mine 🤦‍♂️, wish it was as easy as the videos I've watched make it seem. Guess I cant be too surprised owning a 2010 Giulietta.
Mine too were hard to get out, I was seriously worried about rounding them. Given that they were 10 years old and looking pretty corroded, I decided that there was no way that they were going back on - I ordered these which were a good fit:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine too were hard to get out, I was seriously worried about rounding them. Given that they were 10 years old and looking pretty corroded, I decided that there was no way that they were going back on - I ordered these which were a good fit:
[/URL]
I've ordered some new ones with a hex head but will also order these up in case they don't fit since they're only 3 quid. Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts