Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

I have Brembo calipers on my Giulietta and need to change the discs, im thinking of upgrading the standard discs to something better, such as cross drilled and vented
any suggestions on what type i should get and the best place to get them for

struggling to find the correct size, are the standard Brembo front discs 330M diameter

Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Just my opinion but unnecessary unless you want to do track days or extended drives through the twisties.
I disagree. The standard GQV brakes are mediocre at best, Brembo or not. I suspect cheap discs and pads. I'd go Pagid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont do track days or even thrash mine, yes i do open her up on the motorway now and again, but somehow i have managed to warp one, no idea how

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It won't be warped. It's actually incredibly difficult to warp a disc, especially on modern brakes. What'll have happened is a phenomenon called pad pickup. If you, or a previous owner, have held the car on the brakes at a standstill, especially an automatic or after a good run where they got really hot, some of the pad material becomes bonded to the disc. Downside is, that leaves one area with higher friction so you get a wobble overtime you brake. That also causes more and more pad material to build up. Sometimes, getting the disc skimmed can solve the issue but Brembos are notorious.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
TCT has park just for that...

Main benefit of the brembo setup over the regular brakes, for daily use, is that you can dose the brakes much better.

I4m not heavy on the brakes anymore, It looks like I will be able to do 100k miles with my first set of pads if wear continues as it has been doing. I used to do 4k miles with a set of pads in my younger days though....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Already have replacement plain EBC discs with yellow stuff pads on the front of my cloverleaf with its Brembo 330mm calibers, fitted last Feb. They have loads of feel, even from cold. Today the rear slotted EBC 288mm discs and standard EBC pads arrived. Will be fitted in a few weeks!

Why standard EBC, because they are said to be equivalent to the Brembo pads and I could not find any other EBC version or another make available for my rears.
Likewise in my case just wondered as you posted this thread what others with GQV's were using to replace the worn standard discs & pads on the rears?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ended up ordering standard Brembo discs and pads from euro parts, managed to find a 10% discount code too so cost just over £130 for front discs and pads
this may sound stupid, but its only when you have them in front of you,that you realise the true size of the brakes
think my 18 inch alloys changes your perception a little
thanks for everyone's input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts