Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked on FB and someone I knew 15 years ago ahs just called her new baby girl Giulietta. Never gave it any though before now but I like it as a baby name.

No idea if she is into Alfa's.... more than likely in a Vectra. Still.... good name. :thumbs:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i quite like it. i know a polish girl called giulietta (except it's spelt wrczkrkzswazkrcakdzolczukkwrawz in polish). mrs al - who's not into cars - thinks it's pretty much the coolest car name she's ever heard

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i quite like it. i know a polish girl called giulietta (except it's spelt wrczkrkzswazkrcakdzolczukkwrawz in polish). mrs al - who's not into cars - thinks it's pretty much the coolest car name she's ever heard
I did some signs for a Polsh guy..... asked his name so he spelled it out...... un-pronounceable..... then said "just put Chris. High Five!"

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
I think the name Jiulietta/Giulietta has roots far older than Alfa's use of the name; it is - I think - a wonderful name, and I love the way it rolls around your mouth as you say it :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt it Nev. Rediculous idea.

·
Administrator
60,451 Posts
Just looked on FB and someone I knew 15 years ago ahs just called her new baby girl Giulietta. Never gave it any though before now but I like it as a baby name.

No idea if she is into Alfa's.... more than likely in a Vectra. Still.... good name. :thumbs:
Pretty name :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
This reminds me of an Article Top Gear did many years ago.

It was about Skoda's, and there was a Guy on there with two Daughters, one was called Estelle the other Felicia. :rolleyes:

I think Giulietta is a great name for a car, but I am not sure I would want to call my Daughter after it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think the name Giulietta goes back a little further than its use by Alfa Romeo

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I doubt it Nev. Rediculous idea.
Not entirely. Nev is actually quite close to the mark. 'Giulietta' is the Italian source for 'Juliette' (French) and Juliet (English) and is Latin in origin (meaning 'youthful' - 'Jove's child'). It is a baby girls name used particuarly in Italy and the US, but is not common.

All sources I've previously read point to the inspiration for the use of the name for the the 1950s Alfa models (such as the Giulietta Sprint) came from Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet'. The Italians are no fools and 'word play' is very much in their psyche.

Giulietta & Giulia models « Alfa Romeo Giuliettas

·
AO Silver Member
2,073 Posts
nice name - though it just cries out to be misspelt! enough folks on here have trouble with it :lol:

it'd probably be shortened to Jules within no time at all :(

P

·
0 Posts
It's not the first girl's name used to name a car and certainly not the first time Alfa have done it :)

S

·
0 Posts
Too true PG, I was at school with a girl called Spider.

;)

It's true, but it was because of her incredibly long arms and legs. And it wasn't her real name. Obviously.

S

·
0 Posts
As a life long sufferer of misspelling of my name, can I issue a plea for all parents to consider the consequences before giving their child one of those "quirky", "charming" (ie. ridiculous) spellings of perfectly good names.

Not that it would have made any difference in my case because I was named for my maternal grandmother, who also spelled her name "Wrong". And, no, she wasn't Chinese.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts