1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new giulietta.jpg

astra.jpg

Is it me, or is the new Giulietta a bit run of the mill? :confused:

It looks suspiciously similar to a new shape Astra.....the teardrop rear lights hardly innovative.

Dare I say it, but for £25K i'd want something that stands out from the crowd a bit more
from Alfa.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I've been saying the same thing from day one:eek:

Like Vauxhalls too:eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
View attachment 104292

View attachment 104291

It looks suspiciously similar to a new shape Astra.....the teardrop rear lights hardly innovative.

Dare I say it, but for £25K i'd want something that stands out from the crowd a bit more
from Alfa.
Obviously I disagree, but trying to be objective, no one has been anything less than extremely complimentary about my CL. The shape doesn't really come over particularly well in photos - it is a far more complex shape, and the surface treatment and detailing look far more "premium" than the Astra.

T

·
0 Posts
View attachment 104292

View attachment 104291

from Alfa.
I say you are missing the point - the Giulietta isn't (in the main) aimed at you or I but at Mr and Mrs Average who do not want to be scared by too radical a concept - standing out from the crowd is probably not the intention.

M

·
0 Posts
small changes make a big difference.

The astra looks like a run of the mill rep-mobile... the giulietta really doesnt.

T

·
0 Posts
And at the end of the day, no matter how good the Astra is it will always be a Vauxhall and the Giulietta will always be .....an Alfa Romeo.........

That sounds best if you do it in a Jeremy Clarkson tone

And yes I am that snobbish! Vauxhalls indeed, old man's cars!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
:rolleyes: It's this one again. There's a thread in the Alfa lounge that goes through this whole thing about the Giulietta looking like an Astra and a whole bunch of other 4 door family sized cars. Is it a styling trend or due to safety standards or a bit of both. If you still care at this point go and have a read.

I give up defending an Alfa on an Alfa forum :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes it does look too much like the Astra - and this troubled me from Day 1. Have to say, Insignia saloon aside (broken backed), Vauxhall are churning out some decent shapes for a mainstream manufacturer.

The detailing on the Giulietta and surface treatments are just that little more subtle on than the Astra, but's it's a nat's hair thing. You'd like to see Alfa open up a bit more space on the design side of things than that though!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Really it's not that the Giulietta is mundane. It's more that Vauxhall have raised their game. The new Astra is a nice car. I drove a 1.4 turbo SRI the other week and I have to say that I could certainly live with it. It's way better than the outgoing model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh and BTW, not convinced about the floating front grille nonsense on the Giulietta. Passable on a dark colour. Diabolical in white, where you can see all the black locating lugs around the edges that so clearly say "I ain't floating at all!"

Is it just me?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Really it's not that the Giulietta is mundane. It's more that Vauxhall have raised their game. The new Astra is a nice car. I drove a 1.4 turbo SRI the other week and I have to say that I could certainly live with it. It's way better than the outgoing model.
Spot on Betty!:thumbs:

·
Administrator
87,625 Posts
:rolleyes: It's this one again. There's a thread in the Alfa lounge that goes through this whole thing about the Giulietta looking like an Astra and a whole bunch of other 4 door family sized cars. Is it a styling trend or due to safety standards or a bit of both. If you still care at this point go and have a read.

I give up defending an Alfa on an Alfa forum :(
It's all a bit deja vu alright :eek:

Again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Where's the bloke who was saying that it was a bad car cause it wasn't in short enough supply, then when they couldn't build them quick enough, he said it was cause they weren't selling...

G

·
0 Posts
Can't really compare it the Astra, I stay away from those kind of vehicles. But I did spend time nosing round one at the dealer when I went to pick up my Centenary poster, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I thought the interior was excellent, very high quality (apart from that annoying round silver gearknob!) and comfortable. Overall I felt the car looked very impressive in the flesh, although sadly it's not the car for me.

I wouldn't say it's run of the mill, I think it's a quality piece of kit. I guess Alfa is going for a mainstream audience so as other posters say, they can't go too radical. It's just a pity they don't have other models in the range that reflect the more extreme Alfa values, but that's another discussion (that is raging elsewhere).

Overall, I think the Giulietta looks pretty good and should do well. Certainly not ashamed to have it in the Alfa family.

Cheers,

Nigel

L

·
0 Posts
They look NOTHING the same. Putting on your glasses or stop thinking like 5 year olds would help you notice it

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think there should be a new MiTo/Giulietta bitching forum :rolleyes:.... what's the point of this thread apart to rile up Giulietta owners. It is a technical forum after all...

Let this thread sink into obscurity...

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
But marky, part of the point is for people to come on here and complain about a car they neither want nor ever intend to test drive. It makes them feel good if they can tell others about how bad it is based on all their experience!

Nigel, I thought I was going to hate the gearknob, and it was on my list as one of the first things to change, but it's actually very comfortable and easy to use - your grip isn't forced into a precribed shape, like you get with squarer ones. It took a few days, but I like it now.

M

·
0 Posts
funny thing this i was park up next to a new astra the other day having a bite to eat. the owner of the astra tapped on the window and we had bit of a chat. He liked the car alot and said he had the alfa in his top 3 for next car but never when to look at one in the metal and felt the astra looked just as good in photos. now this is what he said "Wish i had gone to look at the alfa in the show room as it makes the astra look boring. I have bought the wrong car"

1 - 20 of 162 Posts