Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. One of my colleagues isn't speaking to me any more.
2. I haven't told him that mine is a diesel.
3. He won't be posting about this on the equivalent Vauxhall/Opel forum.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
VPL? Visible... :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Astra GTC is a truly great car. I test drove the 2 litre turbo and was mightily impressed, and I'm going to put my neck on the line and say it drove better than the Giulietta. However I still chose the G and prefer the Italian specimen as it has so much more soul than Vauxhall's effort and in 99% of situations I won't be throwing it round corners like I did on either test drive.

As for the VXR it certainly looks the part, and if its able to put all those horses through its front wheels it'll also be a stunning drive. Still not as desirable as a G though of course.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had the previous Astra Coupe as my last car. Never again.

10,000km into my Giulietta and its already been more reliable than the Astra for the same distance. Not to mention it handles better, has a better gearbox (no crunching into reverse/first), doesn't have those stupid clicky indicators that never quite feel right and has far more front end grip (hated driving the Astra in the wet, it was an exercise in futility trying to get it anywhere).

I'm not sure how the new Astra fares against the Giulietta, apparently they've sorted the handling finally.. but having similar DNA I'd be avoiding like the plague.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A friend had the Astra VXR very quick but its a bit unruly , and the interior was like sitting in a cave with bits of playmobil....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I didn't think much of the current Astra. The gearchange was a bit agricultural, and the whole thing felt heavy. Poorer steering than the Giulietta too.

Makes me glad that the FIAT/GM marriage was never completed...

M

·
0 Posts
A friend had the Astra VXR very quick but its a bit unruly , and the interior was like sitting in a cave with bits of playmobil....
I didn't think much of the current Astra. The gearchange was a bit agricultural, and the whole thing felt heavy. Poorer steering than the Giulietta too.

Makes me glad that the FIAT/GM marriage was never completed...

Are we thinking of the same Astra as the OP is referring to?

The one that's just gone with 240bhp is known as difficult, and I hate the interior of that gen Astra having sat in one, with a horrid plastic center consol.

The new one however, with 280bhp, a proper diff, and a proper interior, is a much nicer proposition. As a drivers car, on paper Alfa hasn't made anything in recent times to match it (excluding the 8C!)

Only problem is whilst I like the styling, you know there will be a large amount of people who will think your abit of a prat for driving around in it. Doesn't have much in the way of class..Not like an Alfa :cool:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The VXR couldn't have been trying or it was a 1.8 SRi with the VXR pack fitted.

The current VXR is a top hot hatch. Makes the GQV look a bit sad TBH:(

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The VXR couldn't have been trying or it was a 1.8 SRi with the VXR pack fitted.

The current VXR is a top hot hatch. Makes the GQV look a bit sad TBH:(
57 plate VXR. Was advised by one of my colleagues that the owner likes to put everyone in their place.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Never owned a Vauxhall, and doubt I ever will.

Think the GTC looks great - almost like they ripped off Alfa's styling though.
VXR is hooligan material.

I'd go for a Focus ST above both though probably. And that's saying something. Neither are "premium" brands, which is a problem I would reckon.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As much as I love my GQV, the VXR driver sounds like someone who relies on their car to put people in their place but actually can't drive - there's absolutely no way a 2.0l diesel G will keep up with a VXR if it's driven properly. My GQV will keep up with one to a point, but given a long enough straight road it will out run me eventually. No question though the G is the nicer car :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
there's absolutely no way a 2.0l diesel G will keep up with a VXR if it's driven properly.
+1
A few weeks ago i heading along a dual carriageway doing about 80mph in the fast lane when a Vaxhaul Zafira people carrier came right up behind me out of nowhere. Had to slow down for a roundabout at which point i thought to myself " i'll show him !" Floored mine off the roundabout up to about 115mph, looked in my mirror to see where i'd left him and was amazed to see him right on my bumper trying to get past. I pulled over into lane 1 at which point he went past me like i was stood still. Then i saw the VXR badge. Epic fail on my behalf :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Friend of mine has bought the Astra GTC VXR and believe me there is not an Alfa bar the 8C of course that will beat it

p.s for personal reasons she is selling it, it is absolutely packed with extras and barely has any miles on the clock. There is a good deal to be had if anyone is interested!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Friend of mine has bought the Astra GTC VXR and believe me there is not an Alfa bar the 8C of course that will beat it

p.s for personal reasons she is selling it, it is absolutely packed with extras and barely has any miles on the clock. There is a good deal to be had if anyone is interested!!!
How does it compare to your V6?

If I win the lottery tomorrow I may give her a call :lol:

·
Registered
282 Posts

ill take that challenge up in my 159, and once she hits the limiter ill just sale past ;)

M

·
0 Posts
If you won the lottery you'd buy an Astra? Really?
Well as its the euro millions tomorrow (Tuesday) I figure I could buy just about every hot hatch and supercar going.

......not that I've thought about it or anything.....:p

I agree from a prestige point of view though - 'vauxhall' and 'Astra' are probably the two worst names to put on a car together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts