Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I decided to remove the fixed intake swirl flaps on my giulietta prior to getting it remapped. It has been mentioned in a few posts before but I thought I would share this experience with you.

Ok this was quite difficult ( I'm a vehicle mechanic of 21 years), the high pressure pump does need removing as do the mounting studs. Two 6mm threaded bolts will hold the sprocket so the timing belt isn't affected. Coolant must be drain early on to avoid flooding the inlet ports. The dpf pressure sensor pipes run very close to the intake manifold and this makes the removal very very tight. Although there is little room to get in everything else at bolted to the manifold really just needs removing and kept in some order.

The size of the actual restriction in the manifold isnt that big but obviously I removed them anyway. What I did notice was the size of the pipe from the egr valve entering into the intake manifold (very large, I haven't seen one this restrictive before) so I fitted an egr blanking plate with 8mm hole and then modified the pipe to remove the prutrution into the intake manifold.

I have no power figures yet but there is a definite increase in power, it revs freely and pulls harder through the higher revs. I haven't noticed a drop in low/mid range torque in fact it feels stronger.

I will be interested to see what hp I will see before and after remap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is you go from 140 bhp to around 150 bhp... the 150 doesn't have the restriction.

Any noticeable change in low rpm?
The engine feels like it revs cleaner now from idle and it definitely feels different through the revs. I will take note of any possible differences during my commute to work. I work in the Derby countryside and it's quite hilly so may be back with an update later this week. I think reasonable gains could be made by modifying the egr pipe once it's blanked at the unit plus it's about an half hour job rather than 3-4 hours for the swirl flaps.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Don't suppose you took any pictures?

Reactions: KasperFC
1 - 7 of 7 Posts