Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone here can give me some advise on my poss' purchase of above.
Firstly hi to all, i have sneaked over from Mito forum! as we have a 120 veloce which we still Love but have been offered px on 8 month old Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce with 8tho miles on it.
Now i have never had a diesel before so i am worrying if i have done the right thing! however i have always fancied diesel,[mpg? torque]. Love the car so that is not an issue. We test drove a 140/170 petrol which was very nice,[but none in used] and the only one in Veloce spec was the diesel which i have not yet seen or driven so i think we can back out when we do if we do not like it in the flesh.
We drive to Wales [from Derbyshire] several times a year, and Scotland once a year, all other driving is local . MPG is important to me [same for all of us!] , we do about 10tho a year.
Other concerns are - Noise levels how bad when warmed up? i did drive a 159 2.0jtd a while back and loved it.
Does a diesel take long to warm up? [Mito 1-2 mile]
And of course mpg. Now the Alfa figures are 60mpg on a run, yes i know they are not accurate , what can i expect in the real world? and what about round town.my driving is rather conservative[old fart type], but of course i like D mode.
Anything else would be most welcome, please put my mind at ease!:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Gazab1,

Not an owner yet.. so I'm in about the same situation as you.

From what I've read here real world figures are around low 40s to upper mid 40s depending on how you drive.

If this is accurate I reckon it's not bad. I currently drive a 1.6 A3 which is meant to be super economic and even that only gets around 45-50 mpg real world.

For the extra fun factor I'm thinking it's worth it :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just noticed mine is the lowest consumption of all those Giulietta's listed on fuelly in both 2010 & 2011 groups.
Lots of short journeys and a heavy right foot to blame :D
I wonder if it will be down in the 25's on the next fill up?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta libs

Hi Gazab1,

Not an owner yet.. so I'm in about the same situation as you.

From what I've read here real world figures are around low 40s to upper mid 40s depending on how you drive.

If this is accurate I reckon it's not bad. I currently drive a 1.6 A3 which is meant to be super economic and even that only gets around 45-50 mpg real world.

For the extra fun factor I'm thinking it's worth it :)
:thumbs: I know i should not bother too much re' mpg as the car is superb! never really been into cars[used to be bikes] but Alfa really do make cars that are different to other makes,[sorry!] Have you been out in one yet?My Wife is also an Alfa convert, good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smiles per miles!

Just noticed mine is the lowest consumption of all those Giulietta's listed on fuelly in both 2010 & 2011 groups.
Lots of short journeys and a heavy right foot to blame :D
I wonder if it will be down in the 25's on the next fill up?
Ta for the input. I think you should be given some sort of award!!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I've got a 170 JTDm Veloce and do a 4 1/2 mile trip in traffic to and from work every day. Mine averages 35mpg on this kind of journey and yes it's just about warmed up by the time I get to work. It does go out on a longer run on a weekend ca 70miles (doing between 45 and 60 mpg) and it definitely feels better for it. The diesels do have an auxilliary heater that starts to get the interior warmed up after about 30 seconds in the car so warm up is not as much of an issue as you think.

The great thing is about the 2.0JTDm is that it is quite quick - acceleration to match the 1.4MA (just!) and not that far behind a QV. I am just soooo impressed with mine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the 170 Diesel Veloce, what a fantastic car. Buy it, you will not regret it! It may sound a little noisy on start up and definitely if you stand outside and listen to it start up! BUT when on the move it really is not noticable and when you start driving you won't even think about it.
It is a genuinely quick car and has great overtaking clout. The ride is great and it handles very neatly. I am averaging mid to late 40's mpg but if you drive it very sensibly! you can easily get it into the 50's. I must admit most of my driving is done in France with very little traffic and no queues ever! It is a car with two characters, a relaxed economical tourer or a quick and fun (almost!) sportscar. I love mine and recommend it to everyone who asks about it.

·
Registered
34,430 Posts
With the current price differential between petrol and diesel the latter has to do a few mpg more than you think to match a Multiair which is a pleasure to listen to from start to finish of the journey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not in France! Diesel about 20p per litre less than petrol. Diesel is currently around £1.18 per litre, petrol £1.38.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ta

I've got a 170 JTDm Veloce and do a 4 1/2 mile trip in traffic to and from work every day. Mine averages 35mpg on this kind of journey and yes it's just about warmed up by the time I get to work. It does go out on a longer run on a weekend ca 70miles (doing between 45 and 60 mpg) and it definitely feels better for it. The diesels do have an auxilliary heater that starts to get the interior warmed up after about 30 seconds in the car so warm up is not as much of an issue as you think.

The great thing is about the 2.0JTDm is that it is quite quick - acceleration to match the 1.4MA (just!) and not that far behind a QV. I am just soooo impressed with mine!
andypj Great to hear that! and the Wife was worried about the heater thing so that has put her mind at rest[ all the important things eh!] Glad to hear about acceleration.:thumbs:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

I have the 170 Diesel Veloce, what a fantastic car. Buy it, you will not regret it! It may sound a little noisy on start up and definitely if you stand outside and listen to it start up! BUT when on the move it really is not noticable and when you start driving you won't even think about it.
It is a genuinely quick car and has great overtaking clout. The ride is great and it handles very neatly. I am averaging mid to late 40's mpg but if you drive it very sensibly! you can easily get it into the 50's. I must admit most of my driving is done in France with very little traffic and no queues ever! It is a car with two characters, a relaxed economical tourer or a quick and fun (almost!) sportscar. I love mine and recommend it to everyone who asks about it.
Many Thanks Bert1 And lucky you living there! So glad to hear that ride is good, our Mito is very harsh. Looking forward to Saturday!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ta

With the current price differential between petrol and diesel the latter has to do a few mpg more than you think to match a Multiair which is a pleasure to listen to from start to finish of the journey.
Yes i know i Loved the Demo we went out in it was a real shock when i put her in D mode. If we had choice i would def give more consideration but 18£ tho is good price for model we are getting + 0%.:thumbs:

·
Registered
34,430 Posts
Yes i know i Loved the Demo we went out in it was a real shock when i put her in D mode. If we had choice i would def give more consideration but 18£ tho is good price for model we are getting + 0%.:thumbs:
Sounds like a good deal and the torque of the diseases makes up for the noise! Interesting that there are fewer used petrols around.You will find the Giulietta a lot better on long journeys.Enjoy it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have done a shade over 9000 miles in mine no real problems never been back to the dealer so I reckon it's a good un.

Mileage across a tankfull driven brim to brim on the motorway at a steady 60 with cruise control 55 mpg, motorway without cruise variable speeds up to 90-100 returned 48mpg across a tankfull normal commute with town driving gets between 40-44mpg between fill ups.

If that's any help

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have done a shade over 9000 miles in mine no real problems never been back to the dealer so I reckon it's a good un.

Mileage across a tankfull driven brim to brim on the motorway at a steady 60 with cruise control 55 mpg, motorway without cruise variable speeds up to 90-100 returned 48mpg across a tankfull normal commute with town driving gets between 40-44mpg between fill ups.

If that's any help
Ta Gaz64 Starting to relax about it now, those are the figures i would be happy with. Yes i know there will be some on here who say you don't buy an Alfa and worry too much about mpg,but where i live [very hilly] i now think diesel is a better option for us, + looking forward to a long Motorway cruise as well as d mode on our twisties!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Just to compare: on the same work journey (4 1/2 miles) 1.8gt 22mpg, Audi a3 1.9 tdi 29mpg 159 1.9 jtdm 28mpg, 147 1.6ts 23mpg, 147 2.0ts 21mpg, 159 1.9jts 17mpg, 156 1.8ts 23mpg, 146 1.6ts 25mpg, AX 1.0 33mpg. Just to give you an idea, that's real world over a period of ten years with different cars. As you can imagine I'm chuffed to bits!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts