Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned it in my other recent thread about battery issues but thought I'd ask in its own...

Has anyone had their alternator replaced on the 170 diesel? My car wouldn't start this morning. Had RAC out who started it and said the battery isn't getting any charge. It sits at around 10v so the alternator isn't charging it basically. Is there any specifics I need to look out for when buying a refurb one? Is it difficult to get at? I don't want to buy the wrong one basically.

Cheers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I cant offer any specific answers to your question but id definately recommend trying to get a second opinion, just on the off chance it is the battery, i'd hate to see anyone go through the cost and hassle of replacing an alternator just because someone from the RAC got it wrong!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Just going back to basics, most alternators will produce around 14.5 volts to run the car and charge the battery. Older cars would generally have two faults, either a failed voltage regulator or really simple blown bulb in the dashboard that lit up the battery light when you first turned on the ignition, this provided the excitation for the alternator to produce electricity.The Giulietta is equipped with a smart alternator that is able to harvest energy on the overrun and in probably more situations. Does anyone know anything more specific to help us develop a better understanding of what might be wrong?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts