Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking car up next week.....wee question.

The front seat belts......where they are attached to the floor chassis......we have 6 inches of exposed tight twisted wire rope.
Is this right...or is there meant to be a cover over this?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
While mine is a 2011 Lusso I am sure they would likely be the same. There is a grey plastic sheath.

Beaten to it by hisandhers

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep.... that's what they look like.... so that's standard?
Bit ugly....but hey ho

Thanks you two (y)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
When you said twisted wire rope I assumed the sleeve was missing. What you actually get is a relatively smooth stiff stalk and no sign of twisted wire

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you said twisted wire rope I assumed the sleeve was missing. What you actually get is a relatively smooth stiff stalk and no sign of twisted wire
Yep,my description was rather poor but smooth stiff stalk? ...you dirty boy !! :p :giggle:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Dirt is in the mind of the reader. Until you pointed it out I never saw the double entendre. :eek: ;):D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
the cable is attached to a pre-tensioner. When you get into an accident the cable gets pulled down to tighten the seat belt. It's a similar arrangement in all cars wit pre-tensioners. Some have straps, some have cables. Some have the pre-tensioner on the other end though, on the roller. That won't pull as tight.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question:
I was glad to see that the previous owner had an oil & filter change done last month.
But it seems to have been with 5w 30.

Should this not have been 5w 40 and should I tell the trader to change it to 5w 40 before I buy the car?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I am really asking is 5w 30 gonna do any harm now and would it just be easier to change it next time back to 5w 40?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Assuming it’s an MA engine I would change it for the correct type as there’s been plenty of MA failures that were suspected to be oil related. Whether it actually was down to oil we can never be 100% but it’s not worth taking the risk in my opinion

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have emailed the dealer to double check what the last oil change grade was on the receipts....if it comes back 5w 30 I will get them to change it to 5w 40.
Strange though when I put the reg on the Eurocarparts website it said both 5w 30 and 5w 40 could be used.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I can never remember what year it changed but the ma had a change of grade at some point. You also need to make sure it is not only correct grade but also meets the Fiat spec. Seem to recall mine has 5w/40 c3 so suspect the later models went 5w/30?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can never remember what year it changed but the ma had a change of grade at some point. You also need to make sure it is not only correct grade but also meets the Fiat spec. Seem to recall mine has 5w/40 c3 so suspect the later models went 5w/30?
Just checked the official Alfa Giulietta manual online....
5w 40 c3 : Petrol
5w 30 : Diesel

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I could also be talking utter b****cks after reading through numerous oil threads with conflicting advice. I know my handbook says 5w/40 c3 meeting Fiat spec so that’s what I use. Mine is an early car 2011 registered.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could also be talking utter b****cks after reading through numerous oil threads with conflicting advice. I know my handbook says 5w/40 c3 meeting Fiat spec so that’s what I use. Mine is an early car 2011 registered.
Yep....have read through the numerous threads and 5w 40 c3 is the way to go.

Looks like a new oil change is needed....only a month after the last one!!

Attachments

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
In 90,000 miles of driving my two Giuliettas I never really thought about the seatbelt cable bits but I did think about the correct oil for the MA. The second one (2017) had thinner oil for emissions and it was C3 or something like that.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
That must be where I have read it then thought there was a difference between certain years. Had another read it seems 0w/30 was mentioned.
Personally if it was only emissions related I would stick with the 5w/40

1 - 20 of 42 Posts