Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170 HP Correct Oil

11K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  gralegav 
#1 ·
Dear friends,

I have purchased a 2015 Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir 170 HP last summer at only 10500 kilometres (6500 miles). The car gallery I purchased it from got its service done for free since it had been waiting for a buyer for the past 12+ months. After almost exactly 1 year later (yesterday), since my car got to 22000 kilometres, I took it to the car service. After its service was completed I came back home just to see on the service receipt that they have replaced its oil with 5W-30 instead of 5W-40 as instructed on my car's user manual. I also went online and downloaded a few user manuals of 2015 Guilietta's to make sure I am not mistaken as a consumer and obviously not a car technician or a guru of any sort. I found out that somehow there are two different Giulietta manuals. One suggest 5W-40 oil, while the other suggest 0W-30.

I am confused at this point about which oil is correct for my car and should I be tough on the car service about the oil they filled in my car (5W-30) being wrong which might or would damage it soon? If it makes any difference, I am living in a very hot country all year around.

I would sincerely very much appreciate any advice or information you may be able to provide me with. I am in love with my car but now I am so much afraid to get any damage done to its beautiful engine despite my efforts as a careful end-user.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you very much for your reply! So, currently my engine is filled with 5/30. Shall I complain and get it changed to 5/40 immediately? For what it's worth, my car is also TCT. They did not define which grade they put in terms of C2, C3 etc. on the receipt. So, I am not sure but I suppose they have used either of those.

#5 ·
The Euro 6 engines came into effect in 2016. Prior to that date the correct oil for the MA engines is 5w40 CF3. From 2016 the correct oil is 0w30 CF2. If you want to us the Selenia range of oils the 5w40 is Star Pure Energy and from 2016 is Digitek pure energy.

Either way the 5w30 they have used for your Giulietta MA is incorrect. Since you have a 2015 model it should be 5w40 CF3 Star Pure Energy. The shop4parts website provides the range of Selenia oils available:

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MultiAir (150/170 Bhp) Engine Oils (Selenia)

As johnnyroper has suggested you don't have to use Selenia. You can use other oils such as Shell so long as it meets the correct Fiat spec.

#7 ·
Yes the MA engine is very sensitive to the correct oil. Not only that but as johnnyroper says changing the oil/filter (and the MA filter) more frequently is a good idea, the MA engine require the correct spec oil and it likes clean oil as well!

I would definitely complain and get that oil changed asap!

#8 ·
Our 1.4 Multiair 170 was bought new March 2016 (Euro6). Like yours our handbook said Selenia 5/40 but by March 2017 when its first service was due that had changed to Selenia Digitek 0W/30. I rang Customer services in Italy because the dealer had put Castrol 0W/30 in the engine. I drove a hundred mile round trip to Mangoletsi who told me they would have used Digitek 0W/30, so I bought some from them and drained the Castrol and replenished with Digitek. After a conversation with Italy they reimbursed me £150 for my trouble. At the second service the dealer used Selenia Digitek 0W/30 and I have used that ever since. It is also used in the Giulia 2.0 Multiair, too.

#10 ·
Wow guys, I can't be thankful enough for your swift and accurate answers. You all have been so helpful and I am very thankful to each and every one of you!

I will definitely be heading to the service place ASAP, complain and tell them to replace the 5w30 with 5w40 immediately.

I took my time and carefully read the long thread written and discussed back in 2014 which was linked in the thread shared by cue2. Although, it just made me a little bit more confused, as of now I am certain that since my car is MY 2015 1.4 MultiAir TCT, its correct oil should be 5w40 C3, thus it cannot be 0w30, let alone never ever being 5w30...

I will try my best to make them refill my engine with the Selenia Star Pure Energy 5w40 C3. Although, if they say they don't have that specific brand and model of oil in their stock, I will look for another fiat certified (with correct numbering) 5w40 C3 oil.

I will also ask them if they changed the 'MultiAir' filter as suggested in this thread. Because, on the receipt they named only an 'air filter' (costing only about 18 GBP) and an 'oil filter' costing only about a ridiculous 5 GBP! I don't know what is going on there but I also suspect something might also be wrong regarding the changed 'air and oil filter' parts!

#14 ·
This relieves me quite a bit, thank you very much! Since it was refilled with the 'incorrect oil', I drove the car for about 100 kilometres (60 miles) only. Although, I may need to drive 100-150 more kilometres with it until I have a chance to get there which can't be until probably Monday or Tuesday.

#15 ·
Having too much oil is worse than having the wrong oil, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Just to put my 2 cents in my car is 2014 and according to my chassis number uses 0w30.
But there are different oil recommendations for different countries according to my system at work. All very confusing!

#16 ·
Having too much oil is worse than having the wrong oil, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Just to put my 2 cents in my car is 2014 and according to my chassis number uses 0w30.
But there are different oil recommendations for different countries according to my system at work. All very confusing!
Thank you so much for your reply! Is your 2014 Giulietta the 1.4 MultiAir model/the 170 hp version as well?

#17 ·
#18 ·
The data sheet listed at the bottom of the page states
SAE 5W-40; ACEA C3; API SN/CF; dexos2™*; Meets FIAT 9.55535-S2;

The Handbook for my 2011 1.4MA states the oil should be
SAE 5W-40 ACEA C3 grade totally synthetic lubricant FIAT 9.55535-S2 certification.

It would seem to be OK but you need to check your handbook as the later models had a different spec as discussed in the earlier posts.

#21 ·
Ok, so the only reason for the change to 0W30 was emissions, which suggests that the best oil rating is 5W40! Turbo engines generate lots of heat, so the 40 spec will protect it better at higher temperatures than a 30 rating oil. As someone else said, the right amount of oil is more important, as is a good quality oil. Just don’t buy really cheap oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.