Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
If Guilia comes out looking like this, I've just found a replacement for my lovely GT - Albeit in 5 years time.
I'm just not ready to give up my daily drive yet! It even looks like an updated GT. Excellent so far.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Let's hope this is how it looks, because i think that looks superb. Difficult to tell if it's a genuine photo or a photoshop, but it's very convincing if its fake!

I think you're right about it looking like an updated GT. Let's just hope Alfa make a decent job of it :)

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
And AutoExpress say the replacement 166 is likely to called the 169.

With all the new models getting names, any fule can guess that probably it won't be called 169... :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
573 Posts
With lead times being the length they are, I think these concept pictures will be pretty close to the outcome.
Alfa know they have to over-deliver and the plan IS being executed - rather well I think. Even Lancia/Chrysler development will work nicely too, albeit I don't think Chrysler/Ypsilon is a Good name for the Yanks to be using. (And why can't the idiot on the ads pronounce LUXURY. He says LUGSHURY and it grates so badly.) Chrysler/Delta is OK though. (Nice car too).
Hope they don't get tempted to 'clutter' the Guilia design though. It must remain dramatic and pure.
169 has been the new name for a long long time BTW.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
With lead times being the length they are, I think these concept pictures will be pretty close to the outcome.

Probably not tbh. Those pics have been around for ages. The Autoexpress photoshop job certainly predates the story that Marchionne sent Giulia back to the drawing board for looking too German.

One would hope they are some way on with it, especially as it was originally due out this year, but they keep putting it back so who knows when it will finally appear.

I can well imagine a 166 replacement on a big Chrysler platform though.

G

·
0 Posts
No way - don't forget the design for the Giulia was originally supposed to be signed off by the end of 2010, Marchionne apparently deferred that, there's been no news of any design signoff and production has been slipped from 2012 to 2014 . And these are made up pictures, Alfa has released nothing official so far. The plan has gone out the window, they are pretty much making it up as they go.

FWIW if it did look like that I wouldn't buy one. Just looks like a Merc.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lets hope it does look like the pic. The new Honda Civic looked ok in the previews and looks shocking in real life!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lets hope it does look like the pic. The new Honda Civic looked ok in the previews and looks shocking in real life!
No accounting for taste it seems.
To me, an updated GT is a good thing - lets wait and see, but if its better than the concept then it will be interesting. Considering what they have signed off for 4C, it will at least be dramatic - lets hope its prettier though.

As for the Civic. I remember it coming out and thinking how dramatic certain aspects were. But crucially it has always been as ugly as sin, plasticy looking and has aged very badly as expected. Even the interior is horrid trash. I saw the GT at the same show and thought it was beautiful - and I still love it. Only complaint is that it needed Honda Build quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts