Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a MY22 Veloce TI - which I love! In Dynamic Mode, I swear the engine noise, induction noise or exhaust noise changes tone and is louder. This is not a complaint! Just wondered if it was a 'thing' on the newer models as I don't remember my 2017 Veloce doing this!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do we think it's an audio enhancement or an actual increase in engine, exhaust or induction noise when in Dynamic mode? Is it an actual thing?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
So do we think it's an audio enhancement or an actual increase in engine, exhaust or induction noise when in Dynamic mode? Is it an actual thing?
There’s a unit (black circular on bracket in pic) directly underneath the air box, if your car has it then this is part of the engine audio enhancement module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have heard my Stelvio go past me in D and N mode under load .. it sounded the same.. so yes, audio enhancement piped though the speakers .. TBH sounded Ok (ish) for a 4 pot. but only ish...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There’s a unit (black circular on bracket in pic) directly underneath the air box, if your car has it then this is part of the engine audio enhancement module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. I'll take a look. Is it easy to spot!?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Surely its entirely electronic synthesis on the cheaper 4 pot Giulias? No reason to stick microphones in the engine bay when you can just play some samples. Surely the thing that looks like a speaker/transducer above in the Veloce is in fact just that, placed under the air box with the amp to drive it, and the air box would act like a guitar body and amplify the sound

See screenshot below from MES. unfortunately I don't seem to be able to connect to the sound enhancement module on my car to change the exhaust note to a Veloce which is a bit of a disappointment. I very much expect that my car doesn't have it because its the Mr Cheap Giulia but it would be good if someone with a Veloce could hook up MES and have a dig, see what options you have there, either crank up the sound or change it?!

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Surely its entirely electronic synthesis on the cheaper 4 pot Giulias? No reason to stick microphones in the engine bay when you can just play some samples. Surely the thing that looks like a speaker/transducer above in the Veloce is in fact just that, placed under the air box with the amp to drive it, and the air box would act like a guitar body and amplify the sound

See screenshot below from MES. unfortunately I don't seem to be able to connect to the sound enhancement module on my car to change the exhaust note to a Veloce which is a bit of a disappointment. I very much expect that my car doesn't have it because its the Mr Cheap Giulia but it would be good if someone with a Veloce could hook up MES and have a dig, see what options you have there, either crank up the sound or change it?!

View attachment 979083
There are a few types.. but..
Externally audible - exhaust / engine sound enhancement it would need to be something like the Audi Active sound OEM fitted enhancer.. these are part of the rear of the exhaust .. what makes their diesels sound like 5 cylinder petrols from the outside - basically that snail shaped thing.. similar to a crappo add on by Kufatec..
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plumbing fitting Bicycle handlebar

As you suggest it is most likely Alfa's equivalent of the enhancement system as fitted by VAG in Golf GTi's...
From Wiki - Soundaktor (German for "sound actuator") is a vehicle audio system used to simulate engine noise in the cabin of some Volkswagen automobiles. It consists of a speaker mounted on the firewall between the engine and the cabin, which adds noise to the cabin in order to replicate the driving experience of older vehicles that had lower levels of sound insulation.

As per my post earlier I wondered the same.. so had my mate hammer by Stelvio Veloce past me in all 3 modes.. and it sounded the same... whereas inside he said it sounded "sporty"....

·
Registered
503 Posts
It sounds rather naff to me and wish there was a way to turn it off. I like driving in D mode for the sharper throttle response and quicker gear changes, but could do without the piped sound coming through!

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce, Stelvio Speciale
1,192 Posts
I like it. It gives a nice feedback but I have a Remus axle back exhaust too.
The engine sound enhancement isn't synthetic like some cars, its the real deal just picked up via a mic and played through the speakers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have MES you can probably turn this feature it off - I just can't get it to connect in my car so can't test. My 'sound enhancement' seems to happen in my diesel when I'm running my tuning box then it actually ups the boost somewhat and you get an enhanced sound from the engine as it will be running higher rail pressures and boost pressures to shove more air and fuel in. Definitely sounds more fruity. Probably a precursor of the engine blowing up... but it sounds good.

I like it. It gives a nice feedback but I have a Remus axle back exhaust too.
Assume its one of these, I doubt you need any more sound enhancement anyway :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you have MES you can probably turn this feature it off - I just can't get it to connect in my car so can't test. My 'sound enhancement' seems to happen in my diesel when I'm running my tuning box then it actually ups the boost somewhat and you get an enhanced sound from the engine as it will be running higher rail pressures and boost pressures to shove more air and fuel in. Definitely sounds more fruity. Probably a precursor of the engine blowing up... but it sounds good.

Assume its one of these, I doubt you need any more sound enhancement anyway :)
Yes thats the one.
Quite subtle in normal use, but when in D and pushing on it gives a nice deep sporty growl.👍

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
8,124 Posts
I took a look at the airbox on my 2016 Super 2.0 and there is no device like Matty74 describes. I do have a Ramus axle back silencer and I can confirm that is where the sound is coming from, just drive with the split folding seat down and you soon get confirmation.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I think engine sound enhancement came on MY19 cars, but yes the biggest improvement to my exhaust sound came after the Remus upgrade, not boy racer but just enough to put a smile on your face.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts