Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Seems to suggest relay theft accounts for a lot of thefts now so a pouch would definitely reduce the chances significantly if you have keyless entry. If it bothers you or you're going to leave the car for a while then turn it off in Settings.
Just take sensible precautions, including keeping an eye out to see if you're being followed home, good door locks on the house etc.
Chances are you'll be fine though.
Good advice, I've added security posts on the drive and designed a discrete circuit to immobilize my key fob so if they try to relay hack, steel it off me or break into the house for it there is no way anyone can start my car and I'm the only only one who knows how to enable it.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I think that "Alfas don't get nicked" is just a numbers game.

If there are only 23 in the UK, the chances one gets nicked will be 1:4000.

I see AutoVAGspress is still confusing the police term "keyless theft" (Car stolen without the use of the owners keys) with theft through the keyless entry system.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'd much rather a car thief took my car without having to disturb me and my family than having to extract the location of the key from me or my wife with a knife or hammer. As someone else has said, if they want it they'll get it, it just depends how much pain and suffering you are willing to endure for the sake of protecting your insured lump of metal, plastic, and rubber.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I'd much rather a car thief took my car without having to disturb me and my family than having to extract the location of the key from me or my wife with a knife or hammer. As someone else has said, if they want it they'll get it, it just depends how much pain and suffering you are willing to endure for the sake of protecting your insured lump of metal, plastic, and rubber.
actually, in practice, if it's too much trouble to steal a car the potential car thieves will just move on to the next car, unless it concerns a very exceptional car, and in that case the next problem would be moving it on ..... ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
First, has anyone heard of a Giulia being stolen yet?

Second, in the worst case, I'd say you'd need to rush to "The Giulia spotted thread" on this forum. You'll know where you car is almost in real time! You can't go to the local petrol station without someone posting about it!!! :hehe:

·
Registered
969 Posts
There was a guy on the AROC Facebook page that had his Giulia stolen (UK) end of last year I think it was. They broke into his house and stole the keys.
So, in both cases they used the keys.
A reason why I've never taken my car keys upstairs with me at night. If they want the car that bad they can have it. Better they stay downstairs away from my kids!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I've got anti snap and anti pick high security locks on all my external doors now too. Best to keep them from getting in in the first place. Relatively inexpensive and easy DIY upgrade too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've got anti snap and anti pick high security locks on all my external doors now too. Best to keep them from getting in in the first place. Relatively inexpensive and easy DIY upgrade too.
Good idea, but my home/contents insurer insists on this, failure to comply would invalidate the policy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe anti theft bollards, the thick ones, will majorly help in, well, your car not being stolen. I bought bollards from firstchoicebollards.com.au and they work like a charm!

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you keep your car in a garage,thieves don't know it's there so they won't steal it. It amazes me that people keep their £50,000 cars on the drive while their secure garage is full of valueless junk and cardboard boxes. Rant over.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you keep your car in a garage,thieves don't know it's there so they won't steal it. It amazes me that people keep their £50,000 cars on the drive while their secure garage is full of valueless junk and cardboard boxes. Rant over.
Problem is, modern garages get smaller whilst modern cars get bigger. My Giulia won't fit in the garage of my eight year old house.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I dream about having a garage! Is that why most days my Giulia says there's been an attempted break-in, if I were a scally I'd pinch one? I can't make it happen rocking the car or banging the windows when its locked

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
The sensor in the roof console was over sensitive and some people had this reduced but by the time I’d had the alarm set off by passing cars a few times the fix was a new part. I took it in and the part was replaced. It’s been set off a couple of times since but it’s not like it was.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts