Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is it to steal a Giulia? I'm getting a bit worried by constant media reports of desirable cars being stolen by thieves using key-readers, apparently these types can stand by your front door in the early hours and electronically copy your key code, if the key is inside somewhere. Unless of course you're in the habit of keeping your key in a locked safe or wrapped in lead sheet before you go to bed at night. My last few cars have all been unlocked by pressing a button on the key, but the Giulia is the only one that will start and run without the key being stuck in the ignition, does this make my Alfa easier to start and drive away than the Mercedes and BMWs that thieves usually seem to go for? Giulias are rare, does this make them less likely to be stolen, or more likely? Are typical car thieves even well educated enough to know what an Alfa is? I don't do a big UK mileage, but I'm pretty observant where cars, especially Alfas, are concerned, and I haven't seen a single new Giulia in several months. I don't want resort to the medieval practice if using of something like a steering wheel lock, and my car is never parked on the road overnight. What do the rest of you think, am I worrying unnecessarily? The real problem of course is manufacturer complacency, but as far as I can see, they aren't exactly rushing to do something about this very real problem.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
They were all panicking on EvoqueMoaners a few years ago too.

They've not fixed the issue of easily adding a new key via the OBD port
so once someone's in. (Lock-pick, slim-jim, brick) They can drive off
within seconds anyway.

I've disable passive entry on the Jeep. It can't be very secure.

If you're really worried check these guys. I found them whilst googling.
The built-in gear-lever lock for the Evoque looked quite cool.

Homepage | CONSTRUCT - vehicle anti-theft systems

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
Apparently I hear you need to keep your keys in the fridge and the codes can't be hacked from outside your house.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Its' a concern but the rarity of them means less likely, thankfully.
You can buy a key pouch which would prevent that unlikely scenario. Search theft proof key pouch and loads come up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You could disable keyless entry but it is quite convenient feature once you get used to it. In reality, if they plan to steal the car, they will most likely do it regardless if you have keyless features or not...

The best solution i can think of, would be to have a hidden switch in the car. Without it you wouldnt be able to start the car. I guess thieves would quickly give up and abort their action if everything wouldnt go smoothly and fast.

Luckily giulias are quite rare/new, so much less popular for stealing (for spare parts) than german/french cars.

Here you can see list of vulnerable keyless cars: https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/Keyless_Liste geprüfte Fahrzeuge mit Motorrädern_211KB_257944.pdf

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who the hell steals French cars?! :confused:
I tend to agree, but the answer must be French people, more fool them.

Where car buying is concerned, they must be one of the most patriotic nations, ninety something percent of the cars you see there are French, just about everything on their roads comes from Renault, Peugeot or Citroen. I don't find them very desirable myself either, but my wife has a Citroen C2, I bought it for her nearly 10 years ago, it was 2 year old unwanted trade-in at my then Alfa dealer, I saved it from going to auction. It has an almost 100% record, no real problems at all. It does a tiny mileage now though, rarely venturing further than the nearest Sainsbury's or Waitrose.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Thieves tend to steer clear of Alfa.

Too few around, they go for safety in numbers.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Thieves tend to steer clear of Alfa.

Too few around, they go for safety in numbers.
This.
How many have you heard of being stolen? I'm aware if 1 but they broke into the house and stole the car key.

Keep your key in one of those signal blocking pouches when it's at home and don't keep it near the front door. They're very cheap on Amazon. I've got one. When the key is in the pouch you can hold it against the door handle and the car won't open.
If you're really worried you can turn keyless entry off in settings but I personally don't. I got it because it's convenient so why disable it.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I think his secondary immobiliser is going to be better than putting the key in a metal box or microwave.

Moving/hiding the OBD port is another cost effective security measure.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Keep your key in the microwave oven it has a mesh inside similar to a faraday cage which can stop them using a key reader.

Perhaps put your head in there but remove the tin foil hat before doing so....lol.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I also have a metal keysafe at home (not just for the car keys ) ;) , and I disabled keyless entry

from my additional alarm:
Second Authorization
Second Authorization is an additional alarm remote that prevents advanced thieves from stealing your car by hijacking the signal from your keyless system or exploiting other weaknesses in the car’s original lock and security systems. The unit employs a rolling “anti-grabbing” code that impossible to hijack or copy.

https://www.defa.com/product/second-authorization/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
ghost immobiliser is what everyone seems to be raving about - search google for it, and you'll find it.
not sure if it works with Alfas, but likely.

but Guys - what's insurance for ?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Seems to suggest relay theft accounts for a lot of thefts now so a pouch would definitely reduce the chances significantly if you have keyless entry. If it bothers you or you're going to leave the car for a while then turn it off in Settings.
Just take sensible precautions, including keeping an eye out to see if you're being followed home, good door locks on the house etc.
Chances are you'll be fine though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts