Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought a new thread on a more technical nature (rather than just phwoar!)
Starter for 10, what the hell is 'Torque vectoring'? Is it just passive rear steering?

Electromechanical braking? Not a button handbrake?!

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My main questions is - is it transaxle or not?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Weight distribution is 50:50, does that help? :eek:
No, BMW is close to 50/50 and it's not. AFAIK the new Ghibli is not transaxle as well...

I like this bit:
"the Giulia does without the vast array of electronic support systems the German rivals are touting these days"

and the fact that the front does resemble the Giulietta Sprint - they could have just made a bit different headlights:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's also 'alfa link' suspension, whatever marketing rubbish that really means ha ha

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Torque vectoring differentials can cover a multitude of different designs, from simple systems that brake the spinning wheel in the standard Bosch "eQ2" systems, up to sophisticated clutches and even on the Lexus RC-F, the use of secondary electric motors to drive the wheel with most grip.
It will be fascinating to see which Alfa have gone for.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Given that the Top Gear article seems to hint that ALfa have tried to do away with electronic
set-ups I'm guessing they've gone back to mechanicals. Hope so. It could be a big
differentiator.

Also, not having to add a "SoundRacer" style fake engine noise through the stereo
must be a real bonus compared to current Germans...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Given that the Top Gear article seems to hint that ALfa have tried to do away with electronic
set-ups I'm guessing they've gone back to mechanicals. Hope so. It could be a big
differentiator.
Yes, very much hoping on that. I could even "buy" the design then.

Also, not having to add a "SoundRacer" style fake engine noise through the stereo
must be a real bonus compared to current Germans...
This might be difficult to achieve with the 1.4 and the 1.75 TBi. Not mentioning the 4-pot diesel even.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
From the animation shown at the launch, "torque vectoring" is a system that sends power to whichever rear wheel needs it. The mechanism is not by braking, as in eQ2; whatever it is, it happens inside the rear diff. I heard the word "coppio", which means "clutch", but it also means "coupling", so it's not definite that there's a friction plate involved in it...

Virtual steering is the idea that if you apply more torque onto the road under the left driven wheel than the right one, the car will naturally drive rightwards rather than straight on, and vice versa. Without some form of control involved in it, it's nothing more than a good way to kill 1980's stockbrokers (or inexperienced rally drivers); but if you can make this effect happen under control of the steering system, it's a good way to turn really quickly: front wheels turn, and the unequal power delivery to the rear wheels flicks the car around.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
From the animation shown at the launch, "torque vectoring" is a system that sends power to whichever rear wheel needs it. The mechanism is not by braking, as in eQ2; whatever it is, it happens inside the rear diff. I heard the word "coppio", which means "clutch", but it also means "coupling", so it's not definite that there's a friction plate involved in it...

Virtual steering is the idea that if you apply more torque onto the road under the left driven wheel than the right one, the car will naturally drive rightwards rather than straight on, and vice versa. Without some form of control involved in it, it's nothing more than a good way to kill 1980's stockbrokers (or inexperienced rally drivers); but if you can make this effect happen under control of the steering system, it's a good way to turn really quickly: front wheels turn, and the unequal power delivery to the rear wheels flicks the car around.
'coppia' is torque

·
Registered
180 Posts
Alfa are clearly aiming at the US market, so I am hopeful there will be an auto and/or semi-auto version. After 20+ years I am tired of manual transmissions, but I love the Giulia's styling - the perfect antidote to modern car design :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts