Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does the new Giulia steering wheel look like it is from the 70's? Don't get me wrong, I would give my left arm to own the new Giulia but the steering wheel puts me off. Why did they make it so boxy and old with those ugly manual buttons, I mean, cammon....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It does probably purposely look like the steering wheels from the Alfas from the 1970s and 1980s.

To my eye it's quite a clean-looking design. Compared to the sad-looking wheel in the A4 and the huge button-bedecked horizontal spokes of the XE's wheel, the Alfa wheel looks much better. It's probably closest in design terms to the latest Merc C-class steering wheel, but even then the horizontal spokes of the Alfa wheel are thinner and better-looking.

I like the "manual" (what other kinds are there?) buttons. Proper buttons that have good tactile feedback are the best.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the "manual" (what other kinds are there?) buttons. Proper buttons that have good tactile feedback are the best.
Of course all buttons are manual :), I mean you get new, modern looking buttons, like on the right, the selector switch, it's huge and looks oldish, design wise, but probably does the job well just...I dunno, looks old style, I mean look at the exterior, the dash, it's stunning, the steering wheel, at least from the angel the pic was taken, looks dated...

The steering wheel on my GT looks better :bow: , I think it is because it is not a flush wheel but the raised middle section, probably the airbag, looks weird.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
When I saw it my first thought was " like that, wonder if it will fit my Brera?"
Particularly like the positioning of the starter button.

Reactions: Cuore Sportivo

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The rear seats are no different from the majority of "executive sedans" these days. It's not far different from the rear seats in the 159 or even the 156.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Is it just me or does the new Giulia steering wheel look like it is from the 70's? Don't get me wrong, I would give my left arm to own the new Giulia but the steering wheel puts me off. Why did they make it so boxy and old with those ugly manual buttons, I mean, cammon....
Reminds me of the 3 spoke wheel in my old series 1 sud. Gutted that they've not put it in the facelifted Giulietta.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I like the wheel! Not so sure about the rear seats though - where would the 3rd child go?
In the back of the long awaited SUV :biglaugh:

Reactions: goram

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think the steering wheel is exactly what needed to be done. Not a fan on the G steering wheel, like the simplicity of the Brera and before, I think they have got it bang on.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I like the look of it.

Also the buttons look like they have been nicked from another FCA car, as they look the same as my Ghibli!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I saw it my first thought was " like that, wonder if it will fit my Brera?"
Particularly like the positioning of the starter button.
Myself...now close your eyes and imagine pressing it....I think once I pressed it, the steering wheel and everything else will become a blurr as my ears and whole body tune into the V6 and as I floor the pedal and the turbos kick in, all posts on alfaowner.com about the steering wheel looking odd will be gone :))

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
For reference, this is what a 1970's Alfa steering wheel looked like. Those wooden & alloy wheels look fantastic but are a bit sticky in summer and instead of an airbag to avoid excessive pain in the event of an accident, there are three solid spokes to ensure you are finished off REALLY quickly.

It looks fine for a modern steering wheel, I suspect as others have said it is the least of your concerns long term although it will give an autocar tester the ability to whinge that the cruise control reset button is just a bit more of a reach for his little finger compared to the peerless BMW.

Image of the only other interesting approach to steering wheel buttons, which is to have them all on a central boss that stays stationary, as used on Citroen C6

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I don't mind the wheel itself.
I just hate HATE (HAAAATEE!!!) the fact that they put the paddles on the steering column and not on the wheel, as they were on the 156, 159, GT, Brera etc.

McLaren puts them on the wheel, Mercedes puts them on the wheel, all racecars have them ON THE WHEEL, so why does Alfa think this is better ??? (Argh!!!)

If I ever scrape enough money to buy one of these (I hope I will) I will make this my top modification. Put paddles on the wheel.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't mind the wheel itself.
I just hate HATE (HAAAATEE!!!) the fact that they put the paddles on the steering column and not on the wheel, as they were on the 156, 159, GT, Brera etc.

McLaren puts them on the wheel, Mercedes puts them on the wheel, all racecars have them ON THE WHEEL, so why does Alfa think this is better ??? (Argh!!!)

If I ever scrape enough money to buy one of these (I hope I will) I will make this my top modification. Put paddles on the wheel.
Ferrari and Maserati don't put them on the wheel, so thats probably why. I would rather see them on the wheel as well...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts