Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2.0TB Super Auto 3 months now and have put over 3500 miles on it. I'm really enjoying the ownership experience. Styling, comfort, performance and handling are all spot on.

However, the one thing that is really bugging me is the satnav/GPS. The user interface is simply awful. You can't add POI's as favourites. You can't edit favourite names (have to delete and add again with a new name). You cant add a point on map as a home location (my home address is an unnamed road on the GPS so can't enter an address for it). In fact only addresses can be added as favourites. The click wheel alphabet selector is slow and cumbersome. I thought I would have got used to it after 3 months but I haven't. The POI selection tool is awful. It's quicker to google the address of a POI on my smartphone then enter it as an address than try to look it up as a POI. I assume this is bought in tech from Garmin or Tom Tom but I have dash mounted versions of both and neither are as bad as the Alfa version. Who is the OEM? I rent cars of all makes every other week on business trips and the Giulia has the worst GPS I've ever used. Is anyone else finding this?

Also several other electric related niggles. The electric windows stop when the autostart cuts in. Autostart is slow. I've missed gaps at T-junctions and roundabouts several times because auto start has been too slow to kick in. Now I switch it off as a matter of course. Infotainment system does not accept inputs when parking sensor display is up. Other day I got a phone call whilst reversing in my garage. Space is tight and rear sensor was sounding. I couldn't access the infotainment to accept the call until I'd disabled parking sensors.

Fortuntley none of this is enough to detract from my general enjoyment of the car. I know Italian cars and electrics is a bit of a cliché but I thought Alfa would have sorted it by now.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,487 Posts
Yes, the satnav is a generation or so behind the best of the competition, yes the stop start is slow witted and deserves to be turned off as soon as you get in and yes, these things are nowhere serious enough to detract from such an excellent car to drive.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
TomTom New Alfa Romeo Giulia launches with TomTom Navigation and Maps (AMS:TOMTOM)

I only have access to my Giulia. I think its pretty good but I imagine the Germans have better systems.
the sat nav has its benefits and drawbacks, the things that are niggles should be all easily put right, small speed limit sign size, lack of camera warnings when no route planned, and those you have mentioned, bar the slowness of the rotary that i haven't noticed tbh. i think jags are better system too though as well as ze Germans, but its really what you get used to, but the things you mention re POI's do sound annoying. As is the issue you have with parking sensors. i have a n issue whereby the front sensor doesn't seem to come on when it should sometimes, but im probably doing something wrong as haven't yet read the manual in full.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,515 Posts
Just drive it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like it. I must be easily pleased. It's simple and it works. Not had any issues with it.
It's NOT only addresses you can add as Favourites. You can browse the map, put the cursor somewhere and add that as a favourite. I've done it.
Lots of people love Waze as a sat nav but you can only enter addresses on that too.
Re Home address, add it as a favourite rather than Home by putting the cursor on your house location then save as favourite.

Re the parking sensors using the screen, you can always turn off the visual aid so it doesn't use the screen. Alternatively, to take a call why don't you just press the telephone button on the steering wheel? I've never used the infotainment screen to answer a call.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like it. I must be easily pleased. It's simple and it works. Not had any issues with it.
It's NOT only addresses you can add as Favourites. You can browse the map, put the cursor somewhere and add that as a favourite. I've done it.
Lots of people love Waze as a sat nav but you can only enter addresses on that too.
Re Home address, add it as a favourite rather than Home by putting the cursor on your house location then save as favourite.

Re the parking sensors using the screen, you can always turn off the visual aid so it doesn't use the screen. Alternatively, to take a call why don't you just press the telephone button on the steering wheel? I've never used the infotainment screen to answer a call.
Ditto....I like the simplicity of the entire infotainment system.

Reactions: Alfa Again

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just drive it.
This place is for help and discussion, if Alfa are to win over drivers from other Marques data on customer niggles and what they can do better is needed, so they can improve in order to win more of these customers.

I appreciate the sentiment in the just drive it statement, but this forum isn't an Alfa circle jerk, as much as some like to think it is.

People should not be discouraged from airing grievances, niggles, annoyances that they find with the car, or be afraid to ask advise, simply because a few on here don't like it, and seem to have missed the point of this forum, "technical and vehicle assistance". I think gripes on things the car does falls under that bracket as other owners may be able to help as those of us with these niggles may be doing something wrong or have faulty items.

Case in point being Hamfisti's indicator stalk. The usual suspects said there was nothing wrong with it and he was simply a clumsy oaf. the rest of us verified it didn't happen to us and it turned out his had a fault. Had he just taken notice of the just drive it, stop moaning brigade he would have kept flashing people when indicating and could have got into dodgy situations if he ever frequented woodland car parks after dark.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,487 Posts
I wondered why people keep gathering around my car when parked in the woods at night.

I'm with tpmmpt on this. I've posted loads of questions on here, admittedly had the odd whinge (about the HK for eg), but mostly, I just like to 'shoot the breeze' with like minded people that own or are interested in owning this car. As I'm too lazy to read the manual, nearly everything I've learnt about the car (other than how brilliant it is to drive, which I've learnt for myself), I've learned from this forum. Indeed, I've learnt some more from Smarty about satnav in this very thread and hope Smarty's answers help the OP.

I love the car to bits, but that doesn't make me blind to its few shortcomings.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I wondered why people keep gathering around my car when parked in the woods at night.

I'm with tpmmpt on this. I've posted loads of questions on here, admittedly had the odd whinge (about the HK for eg), but mostly, I just like to 'shoot the breeze' with like minded people that own or are interested in owning this car. As I'm too lazy to read the manual, nearly everything I've learnt about the car (other than how brilliant it is to drive, which I've learnt for myself), I've learned from this forum. Indeed, I've learnt some more from Smarty about satnav in this very thread and hope Smarty's answers help the OP.

Indeed i have been too lazy, well no time so far, to read the manual in full, hence im asking a lot of questions on here. And even when i have read the manual some things are inexplicable, like the mystery of my mirrors, where the manual says something that doesn't exist in any owners actual car option menu.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I seem to remember that buried in the car settings screen under navigation there is some option to change the destination format from postcode to GPS location?

Perhaps you could change this to GPS, then set your home location and then set it back to postcode?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I seem to remember that buried in the car settings screen under navigation there is some option to change the destination format from postcode to GPS location?

Perhaps you could change this to GPS, then set your home location and then set it back to postcode?
Correct!

Settings -> Infotainment -> Navigation -> Destination Input Mode

Set to "GPS" instead of "Address"

RTFM - see page 45:
http://aftersales.fiat.com/eLumData...3_620_GIULIA_530.06.288_EN_05_09.17_SI_CN.pdf

:blah:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

also hope you have a ceramic coating...all that seagulling in remote car parks, would surely eat into the paintwork...:yuck:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Cheers will give that a try.

P.S. No offence taken at the just drive it type comments. I love the car. Just wish it had a better satnav.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,515 Posts
OK OK Guys, I'm being flippant, just adding a little levity. :cheeky:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I took Top Down's comment as light hearted, in the same way I think the Ham fisted comments re the indicator were made. Problem is when it's written you can't tell whether it's made in jest or not.
Don't get too sensitive. I'd rather this area be lighthearted.
It's a great place to learn things for sure.

T1grm - Not been in the car since to work out how to set a position on the map as a favourite but you can definitely do it. I'll let you know how next time I'm in it.

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,487 Posts
I certainly didn't take offence on the indicator stalk thread and to be fair, TD's advice on this thread was excellent.

It is indeed difficult to decipher someone having a pop vs light hearted banter. Judging from all TD's previous posts, he is unlikely to be having a go at anyone; I know that, but perhaps someone posting new wouldn't pick that up.

We're all (mostly) friends here aren't we?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,235 Posts
As Smarty said earlier, you can use the steering wheel phone button to answer the call.

Also, if I remember correctly you can push down on the big infotainment selection wheel when the parking display is up to make it disappear and show what's on the infotainment screen. Not sure if it will cancel out if you are still in Reverse gear and making a manoeuvre but the display certainly can be cancelled by pushing the selection knob down when the display is remains on screen for a short while after parking.

You can select under settings or options what to 'REPEAT' on the speedo centre display where the digital speed is shown. I have turned repeat for all options - music, satnav, phone. So when I receive a call its displayed in the speedo area and I can decide to ignore if its my missus ;)

I don't use satnavs much, when I have used it its been OK. Not the best but simple and functional. Voice recognition for address searches is rubbish for me at least. So I use manual input to set destination. Its definitely not the best system out there. I would say average or below but functional. Rest of the infotainment is quite simple and easy to use once you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I certainly didn't take offence on the indicator stalk thread and to be fair, TD's advice on this thread was excellent.

It is indeed difficult to decipher someone having a pop vs light hearted banter. Judging from all TD's previous posts, he is unlikely to be having a go at anyone; I know that, but perhaps someone posting new wouldn't pick that up.

We're all (mostly) friends here aren't we?
Most of us...! although some are more friends than others to *******ize a phrase!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
OK OK Guys, I'm being flippant, just adding a little levity. :cheeky:
i wasn't having a pop at you specifically you were a convenient fall guy! it was a more general comment how some on here have a pop when people ask questions or suggest the Giulia is less than perfect, that is all!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts