Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 20 Giulia QV's (supposedly limited edition) will be arriving before year end in SA. From the sound of it these will be specced up a bit to make them "limited" editions.

Current price estimate is between R1.55mil and R1.65mil. Final pricing has not been confirmed but thats the ball park figure given.

Apparently all 20 will by 8C Red. But a request was put in to bring in a few different colours such as the blue and black.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
A price of about R1,5 million for a fully-specced car seems about in line with the prices in Italy. Giulia Quadrifoglios with all the bells and whistles go for about 95 000 Euro there. Times 16 that's about R1,5 million.

By that same rule of thumb, the "normal" spec Quadrifoglio should be about R1,25 million in South Africa. Not that that rule of thumb would necessarily be at all accurate.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Looks like a Maserati Ghibli S in base trim costs just over R1,6 million in South Africa. The Italian base price for the same car is about 84 250 Euro according to the configurator on the website. That works out to a "conversion rate" of about 19 to 1.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
its an alfa.. it will

Reactions: sizewell and scrgdk

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It will, yes. Only if this generation of Alfas prove to be solid as a rock, will they have any hope of not depreciating as much in the following model series.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So who is going to get one? Then we need to organize a run:thumbup:
Actually I thought it will go even up to R1.8mil.

Reactions: corriedw

·
Registered
142 Posts
As much as I love Alfa and think the Giulia QV is a great car, at that price I can see them gathering dust on the showroom floors. Us Alfisti may think it is value for money but they will have to drastically undercut the rest if they want to make an impact on the market. Looks like another 4C market placement disaster in the making from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The problem in South Africa is the way the tax laws around the motor industry is structured, the guys like BMW and Merc who have factories here can afford to sell their cars for much cheaper than they otherwise would be able to.
Alfa (FCA) doesn't have that here, so local alfisti are victims of the policy of "encouraging local manufacturing".

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Let's put things into perspective:

The Infiniti QX80 costs R1.44M. Go look at that machine. The second ugliest car on the road after the new range of Smart cars, but what you get for that price is unbelievable!
Range Rover Vogue comes in at R1.77M
BMW 740i costs R1.4M

Giulia has to be VERY special to work at that price...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let's put things into perspective:

The Infiniti QX80 costs R1.44M. Go look at that machine. The second ugliest car on the road after the new range of Smart cars, but what you get for that price is unbelievable!
Range Rover Vogue comes in at R1.77M
BMW 740i costs R1.4M

Giulia has to be VERY special to work at that price...
It doesn't matter how special the Giulia is, I'm convinced it won't make any impact in SA. The fact that FCA has no export credits in this market will mean it will be way to expensive to sway anyone to buy Alfa rather than Merc or BMW. Sad, but true. Let's hope the cooking models will do well overseas, we need this car to succeed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very high price for what is a boutique car at best. My problem here is Alfa in SA doesn't not have the dealer infrastructure to sell cars at that price point, customers spending that amount of money demand top notch customer service and I am not sure Alfa in SA is able to provide that.

Customers expect plush dealerships and again I am not sure Alfa is there yet. What they don't expect is a poorly printed stapled "brochure".

Alfa in SA is confused, you have R1.5 mil cars and you have R300k cars, its difficult to build a brand and dealership experience around cars with such wide price bands.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Alfa in SA is confused, you have R1.5 mil cars and you have R300k cars, its difficult to build a brand and dealership experience around cars with such wide price bands.
That situation is not that strange, surely? I mean, some BMWs go up to R1.5 million or more - the i8 is closer to R2m, but at the same time they sell 116i and things in the R300 000 range.

Alfa has the problem that there's a big gap in between the top level and the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That situation is not that strange, surely? I mean, some BMWs go up to R1.5 million or more - the i8 is closer to R2m, but at the same time they sell 116i and things in the R300 000 range.

Alfa has the problem that there's a big gap in between the top level and the cheaper ones.
BMW, Audi et al are used to dealing with upper tier customers and their dealerships are configured accordingly. Alfa is not used to dealing with upper end customers and last time I walked into one their dealerships are not exactly aesthetically pleasing nor do they seem to suggest this is a place which sells expensive cars.

I personally believe that Alfa SA should be combined with Maserati or vice versa.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Very high price for what is a boutique car at best. My problem here is Alfa in SA doesn't not have the dealer infrastructure to sell cars at that price point, customers spending that amount of money demand top notch customer service and I am not sure Alfa in SA is able to provide that.

Customers expect plush dealerships and again I am not sure Alfa is there yet. What they don't expect is a poorly printed stapled "brochure".

A R1.5M car is not that special that it cannot park next to a R300k car. Just look at every other Jack and Jill not driving a GTI, rocking up in their M3/M4. And as I mentioned, almost every car dealer has R2M cars on the floor next to even cheaper cars, like R150k cars.

People will buy the Giulia. I'm just not sure if it ever will outsell the 156 range though, or if the QV will reach sales targets. It shouldn't be seen as a boutique car either, but that is the way Alfa Romeo is being marketed in this country. And that will be it's downfall. It should rightfully compete against Audi and BMW, which it surely does as far as quality and performance goes. I reasonably expect it to land here with cooking models costing similarly to their local competitors.

It will take a special person to go out and buy a QV, but I'm sure that it will honestly be impressive. As Chris Harris says in his review: "All is well with the world..."

http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio

1 - 20 of 61 Posts