Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My QV chrome tailpipes (x 4) have all badly discoloured and no amount of polishing brings the chromework back to anywhere original standard. So Ive placed a warranty claim with Alfa for replacements. Surely if Alfa fit chrome-work, it should last without badly tarnishing.

Anybody else suffered the same tarnishing and placed a claim for new tailpipes under warranty? What was your outcome?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you mean they have turned blue this is pretty standard on any make of tailpipe, just look at motorbike pipes. The ones that don't turn blue tend to be fakes, just like the non-QV Giulia :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Mine are quite black and I can't get them clean either. Not put in a warranty claim though and not sure if they would take it seriously.
Let us know how you get on. Did you raise it with a dealer or AR customer service?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't worry too much about it. You're driving it and enjoying it, that's the good news. Dirty tail pipes are for operational, not decorational owners 😉

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine are quite black and I can't get them clean either. Not put in a warranty claim though and not sure if they would take it seriously.
Let us know how you get on. Did you raise it with a dealer or AR customer service?
If you don't keep the (actually stainless steel) tailpipe rings clean of carbon deposit, then they will be very very difficult to polish clean. So keep them clean, like weekly...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Carbon buildup on the tail pipes is normal for direct injection engines - as scotital says, they need often cleaning and polishing.

With new direct injection engines that have particulate filters, this issue should be minimized. Updated Quadrifoglio engine from Sep 2018 onward uses a second set of (port) injectors to decrease emissions, instead of a particulate filter. However, 2.0 Turbo engines (200 and 280) were updated with particulate filters to meet new emission standards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They do require some effort to keep in a sparkling condition because of the above mentioned carbon deposits, but after 18 months and 23,000 miles mine are pretty immaculate. There is some very slight pitting on the lower edges if you look closely but you'd never know that in a following car.

Autosol or Brasso are your friends if used on the tail pipes every time you wash the car. (always wash it myself up to now)

I guess some people are polishers and some aren't.

As to warranty claim, best of luck. Give it a go!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine are doing same as others. Quite dark, a little pitted and hard to make immaculate. I dont loose too much sleep on it but use a bit of fine wire wool from time to time to bring them up. It doesnt remove all the burnish but does help...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Agreed, keep on top of them weekly. They are easy to clean that way. Autosol works for me, it's just messy and stinks. They look awesome when polished, really makes the rear look proper.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've managed to get mine pretty clean and shiny this weekend. After a bit of Googling and remembering years ago cleaning up some rusted chrome, I used some soap filled pads (Brillo pads in other words). Managed to get nearly all the baked on black soot off (think another go will get the rest off) and it's all nice and shiny again. The edges are pitted in places and nothing will fix that but unless you're on your hands and knees you can't see it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good work! You can't beat a bit of elbow grease. Just keep on top of it whenever you wash the car and I'm pretty sure it won't require very much effort.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Okay, 12,000 miles in and I thought I would give it a go. Used Autosol but got bored after 5 minutes of scrubbing with brillo pad. Plus my neighbours now think I am mental :blabla:

Wife:- what are you doing?
Me: Cleaning my exhaust tips.
Wife:- Knob...

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just cleaned my exhaust tips... used washing up sponge , worked brilliant took me minutes , so much easier to get pressure on it... just had fairy liquid in it but maybe could put liquid metal polish in it next time ... now back to washing the plates with it :blabla:

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Carbon buildup on the tail pipes is normal for direct injection engines - as scotital says, they need often cleaning and polishing.

With new direct injection engines that have particulate filters, this issue should be minimized. Updated Quadrifoglio engine from Sep 2018 onward uses a second set of (port) injectors to decrease emissions, instead of a particulate filter. However, 2.0 Turbo engines (200 and 280) were updated with particulate filters to meet new emission standards.
Yes. My MY'19 Veloce (which replaced a 2.0 TB Super) has no hint of carbon deposit on the *stainless steel* exhaust rings so the GPF (self-regenerating Gasoline Particulate Filter) is clearly doing something. In fact, even if you insert a finger into the tailpipes (!), there is no blackness, just a light hint of pale grey residue, evidently the result of high temperature treatment further upstream. The applicable emission standard is Euro 6d-temp (officially EU 6AG on the reg. document). Web search for more details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts