Alfa Romeo Forum banner

421 - 437 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
And a year later, I’ve just bought my second one... Switching from Milano Blue (sold in March), to Comp Red.
Will be here first week in September, a pre-ordered new car which was due in when I called.
Brilliant car arent they! Ive had my Comp red with Sparco since new in early 2017 and not a day where Ive thought to replace it as my daily driver. I recognise your avitar are you on Rennlist by chance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brilliant car arent they! Ive had my Comp red with Sparco since new in early 2017 and not a day where Ive thought to replace it as my daily driver. I recognise your avitar are you on Rennlist by chance?
Yes, I can’t think of anything else that ticks all the same boxes.
And yes, on Rennlist as well...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Into my third year of ownership now but this one year of ownership report ticks all the boxes on what i think of this marvelous car....will be keeping it for many years to come!
Start at 4 minutes in if you want to avoid the history or mods and learning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is now quite a few used Quadrifoglios appearing on the second hand market and I am seriously considering getting one as a daily driver so a few questions to fellow owners

1. Would you immediately change the Corsa tyre if the car came with them as it is getting colder here in the U.K.
2. Any other issue problems I need to look out for e.g water ingress into ECU, damaged carbon front spoiler etc.
3. Some cars don't come with 3 year free servicing, so what are the costs and schedules
4. Typical mpg, I will mostly be doing town driving.
5. Whats the car like to drive in cold wet weather and snow, I currently have a Merc AMG with 4WD, never owned a RWD car.
6. Any dealers to avoid in the North west when considering servicing.

Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi rjc147,

1) YES!
2) The two things you mention need to happen, but generally have a good look around the underside of the car. It's very low, particularly the early models. The rear is just as low so make sure there aren't chunks of plastic missing from the diffuser etc. You will see scrapes on the front carbon splitter unless the car hasn't been driven, but look for serious damage and try to ignore the unsightly but ultimately not relevant white scratch marks.
3) My car came with 3 free services (not 3 years), the schedule is 9k mikes, I have recently paid for the 4th which is the big one. This was about £1500 after a bit of shopping around. I think the normal services are a few hundred quid but I'll let someone else confirm.
4) My combined mpg is 25mpg, you can get a lot better on motorways (40 at 70mph, or 30ish at higher speeds where cylinder deactivation doesn't work). Town isn't great, I'd expect high teens.
5) On decent tyres (Michelins) the car is fine in the cold and wet. You have to exercise caution, obviously, but it's not overly scary. Snow on summer tyres is no fun, I've not tried winter tyres.
6) My dealer has been great but as I'm sure you've heard the network is patchy at best. I'm based near London so can't help but I would get recommendations from those that live locally.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks 146Nick,

What about the interior, and does the leather seat bolsters stand up to daily use without issues. I am a bit concerned about how low these cars are, what year did they raise the suspension, how do you navigate the raised speed bumps that are now all over the place.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have the Sparcos (which are lovely) and they're in good shape. The outer edge of the leather on the driver's side bolster has had the black colour rubbed off but from getting in and out, but I'm pretty sure it could be repaired easily and it's super minor. Nothing on previous BMWs and Audis that really showed their age.

The 2017 model is very low, I think they raised the ride height in the 2018 model year but the 2017 looks much better as a result. I commute into London daily and have to negotiate speed bumps a lot. I'm careful and almost always avoid scraping anything. Those nasty pillow shaped ones that can be straddled are the worst if they are large, or the sides have fallen away. Putting one wheel on them sorts that out though. Normal full width speed bumps are OK unless they are really huge, or you go too fast. Kerbs will tear off the splitter too, but again you have to be careful. I definitely wouldn't let that put you off the car but you will have problems if you lend the car to someone careless, but there are other reasons not to do that!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A simple solution is to use a sacrificial clear wrap on the splitter at the bottom. That way any surface scrapes will mark the clear film than the carbon. Don't use the PPF type wraps which are a bit thin. Use slightly thicker 3M clear adhesive film that you can cut to shape. You can even double or triple the layers depending on how thick you want it. Make a template using tracing paper or similar and cut the film to shape. Something like this.

Cheap and Simples.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Like Nick Ive been impressed with how well the Sparco side bolsters have worn. Mine is a daily driver since May 2017, but my trips are short and not every day so Ive covered only 15K miles. There is some small wear on the edge of the bolster where the leather seam stitching is (probably would easily come back to black with a bit of shoe polish!) and the right hand seat base bolster is a bit more shiny tan the left and has some leather creases showing which havent grown much from the first 1000 miles ownership. The only seats Ive owned that have worn better were the folding buckets in my last GT3, but the buckets ones in my current GT3 havent worn quite as well as teh Alfa and I have similar mileage on both...

My average MPG over the last 12,000km is 10.9L per 100KM so probably around 27mpg for the UK audience, but my driving is a mix of open road and town. I think its very reasonable. My wife drives a '17 Petril Macan S (3.0L turbo) and we do teh same mileage to our business each week. She is at 12.2L per 100km so the Alfa is more efficient especially given its HP and cylinder count! That said the Macan is probably over 2000kg!!

Otherwise everything Nick says holds true from my 2.5 year expeience too. The superficial white scratches on the splitter are easy enough to make dissapear if you have a ramp or hoist you can borrow for 15 monutes. Just go to a model shop and buy some acryclic clear coat in a jar with a small artists brush. Follow each cractch with a fine bruch with clear laque on it and they vanish just like that.

My sills are scratched underneath as my home driveway has a high part and the break over angle of this car is very low due to the wheel base being very long. For the 2017 cars I understand this may have been issue that led to the factory increasing the height, not the front spliiter height from the ground which is reasonably generous. Luckly you dont see these gouges that are in the PU cill on the underside but on the hoist they are pretty ugly. If my car is loaded it will occassionally catch a rock between my drive way ramp and the road and add another scratch there. The only time Ive rubbed teh splitter on teh road was driving fast on an open road in Dynamic with soft shocks, when trhough a compression in teh road and heard it rub the ashfelt. I now leave it in teh mid default shock setting if using dynamic on the open road...

Overall wonderful car - still love it to bits...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm just curious what the height difference is between a 2017 and 2018, anybody measured it?
Not sure if I'm correct but having viewed a few videos of the rear diffuser, the wing like extensions that protrude straight out look like they will definitely catch as the rear wheels come down on the trailing edge of normal full width speed bumps. I've a speed bump near me (on a roundabout) that has horrendous gouges taken out so would need to avoid.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I've never scraped on any speed bumps and I go over some pretty big looking ones (entrance road to Cineworld Rochester for example). The trick is to take them slowly. I usually stiffen up the suspension too to reduce any potential bounce.
The non full width (pillow type) ones I always put one wheel over and that seems to work. Again, just take them very slowly.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm glad the HRW worked this morning (and the Alpins).
My recent software update does seem to mean the HRW can always be switched on so long as the engine is running.

Andy

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
@Andy Bowden , do you know which specific update this is? BCM or another module and which version? My HRW is intermittent despite a new BCM and battery last January.

Also, do you know which update refers to the front Parking sensor being disabled when in Drive?

Nothing is seen as available when my car was plugged in at the dealer but if I have the update version they may be able to do it for me. NJS are too far.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
No I'm afraid I don't know full details. I presume it's the BCM which controls the HRW.

The parking sensor has an ECU of its own, but again, I suspect it's the BCM which links the gear selection to the alarm operation.

My post:

listed the version of each ECU's software following the 11 updates which NJS gave me at the beginning of November.

I believe that if you go to a dealer, normally they just rely FCA's guidance as what software the car 'needs' rather than the latest available.

Good luck,

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe I should insert my question also here:
Do the Sparco seats worth the price? I mean, I'm about to buy a MY20 Giulia Q and I'm a bit puzzled if I need the Sparcos. I tried both the basic and the Sparco seats but all-in-all, the Sparcos were not convincing. It looks good but I felt less lateral stability in it. Smaller side supports, and its "seating part" is just like a seat in a public transportation bus. I don't know... How much weight reduction do these bring?
If somebody has gone for the Sparcos, what was the reason he/she preferred it? Simply for the looks?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have a month to go before mine is 3 years old. Current mileage is just a shade over 45,000 and my experiences to date are 4th service is a big one so expect a decent sized bill , mine was specifically high as I needed a new front splitter it had worn away at the back (speed bumps) completely on one side . Cost of replacement £1700 + VAT. This is one reason why 2018 cars have a higher spring height. At the last service (mid December) 44,800 miles all four steel brake discs needed replacing as the were completly , which explains why the braking distance and efficiency had dropped off when presented with a wide boar standing in the middle of the road early one morning and not only did the ACW not see it but I ended up bumping it on the rear , result two small splits in the front fender and a broken scudetto grille...drivable and not really noticable but a good opportunity to replace with a newly painted (stone chip free) and coated new front fender plus smaller plate holder. Just after 45,000 mile a rear shock blew...replacements £560 + VAT and fitting each. From a tyres perspective , Pirellis's replaced ( 9,000 miles) at first opportunity with Michelin PS4S , normal fronts and 295 rears , performed very well rears lasted 13,000 (puncture) fronts 20,000. Replaced Bridgestone rears (due to non availability of PS4S at the time) - nowhere near as good and replace after 10,000 miles with Goodyear rears, on my second set of Goodyears rears but Michelin fronts at all times. Interior - standard , non electric, seats wearing very well and no issues internally. Other than that great car fantastic handling and a pleasure especially on long distance driving ( especially recently whilst it was being serviced , waiting for brake discs) had to use the GTA for a 350 mile trip , while the GTA was my daily driver for 12 years now going back is just a step to far...so it will be going in the spring.

421 - 437 of 437 Posts