1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Reactions: domholyfield

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
Lazy not having matrix lights? I’m quite impressed by the 35W lights on my Stelvio. To the point where £2500 to replace them is only a bit serious. Alfa said at launch the showcase tech was not the point of the Giorgio platform cars. Audi has lamps as one of their symbols of what they are about and a set of Matrix lamps is double the cost or more. That’s more the price of an average used car!
The parking camera is not HD on my car either but a pretty useful £350 option.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It has nothing to do with what you are claiming. Every other manufacturer in Europe (except maybe low budget Dacia) have LED headlights nowadays, most of them offer matrix LED as well. Giulia can't even match "folks" Passat in tech, and outgoing BMW 3 series, not to mention the new 3 series, which is as direct competitor as it possibly gets!, and has plethora of tech that are so far ahead of Alfa's at the moment that it is useless to even debate it.

It is embarrasing quite frankly that Alfa as I brand that wants to be viewed as a premium alternative to German trio lags about 5 years behind on the tech department. I am not saying they should be leading in this deprtment (Alfa's primrary goal should be driving dynamics, chasiss and powertrain) but they should at least roughly catch up with others if they want to be viewed as worthy competition.

P.S: What Alfa said at launch is just excuse for laziness and not doing there work properly (as usual) - even the facelifted Fiat 500 has LED headlights now, but not the 100k € Giulia Qudrifoglio.
They could just take the LED matrix and surround parking system from Maserati, but for some reason they do not.
It is a joke really, and in basically every test/review and comment section this is being either criticized or mocked. They need to get their **** together asap. And I am hearing that new Giulietta sized SUV will be again on subpar fiat FWD platform - as if the last 30 years of doing that mistake did not teach them anything.

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
As you say , these companies offer lamp upgrades. Most of the hardware for AFS bi-xenon right up to LED Matrix are modules that be put into the housing instead of the standard issue so that it can be offered. Would you pay the extra? The cars below a certain price are soon worth less than replacement lamps! I admire your emotional involvement with the brand but why are YOU embarrassed by Alfa being sensible enough not to offer these over spec-German features?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am not embaressed. These things are offered now for some time by Japanese, German, British and French cars, and Maserati. So basically everyone in Europe, except Alfa.
So you keep on missing the point (intentionally I presume), which is your usual appologetic tactic when you lack counter-argument. If you want to debate bring forward something worth replying to.

Alfa is everything but sensible with postponing the introduction of 5 year old tech - as I said earlier it is a joke not having something that is available in premium segment for 5 years now, and 2 years in non-premium brands. If you do not see why that matters immensly to brand image in recognition, I can't help you, because your own short-sightedness is the main issue. Penetrating the premium segment and being seen as premium product by public is probably the toughest in automarket - and by being 5 years late with the tech is devestating for Alfa's big plan to get "into that club".

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
The German makers have created a level of technology including the LED Matrix lights as a barrier of entry to the premium market. Their suppliers offer these features to them and theoretically they are a must. I have seen this when working for an OEM on lamps. Personally I find the best application for LED is for visibility more than illumination: for taillamps but if it’s a marketing requirement Fiat should cascade LED headlamps from Maserati to Alfa. This can be done and high spec lamps are often fabricated by the supplier and given to manufacturers at good prices to promote them. Box ticked. I’m saying from my experience that Alfa have made a good decision not to play their game.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Again, none of this is the point. Again, it is not just about LEDs, but plethora of other tech. Again, not just Germans, but basically everyone. So roughly 90% of the industry is wrong, according to one person - you. I rest my case.

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
I did say LED lights are just part of a collection of barriers to entry created by manufacturers. Your style of “discussion” is rather tiring. The point I make is similar to that made by Italian chefs to Jamie Oliver when he finished his culinary tour of their country. He was using too many ingredients and making it all too complicated. I’m sure you will take offence to this my latest attempt to communicate my feeling that Alfa should play their game find a way of telling the customers that it’s the flavour and not the ingredients that matter. Anyway, I’m sure you would have ordered the LED matrix lamps to blind oncoming traffic rather than illuminate the road any better. What lights do you have on your Giulia?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think you are being a bit hard Lizard.

I purchased a (used) 991.2 GT3 (manual) in December as my track car. The best headlight upgrade on that car you could get was black PDLS LED headlights. My car happens to have them although if i was ordereding new i would not have paid the 2500 GBP equivalent for the privalage thanks. These are the same units that were offered to me back in 2013 when I ordered my 991.1 GT3. Nothing has changed with them in 6 or more years. They arent even matrix. infact Porsche have only fractionally improved the lighting on the shortly to be landed 992 carrera.

Remember the Giulia was launched in 2015 (albiet product did not start til mid 2016 in Europe). As such the platform is shorly5 years old and of course the design time required probably means more like 6-7. Im sure in the next iteration of the product in 2020/21 we will see alot of the enhanced tech you mention (infotainment, headlights, active saftey etc). That makes sense, but even if they offer it i will not be paying a premium to for matrix LED if its a 2500 GBP option (Im not tight, my experience with the tech so far is that LED has no real lighting benefits over 35W halogen, although i conceed I have not tried the matrx lights which sound like they have alot of smarts). I dont drive at night on the open road much these days either.

I think Alfa did ok on the tech front given they developed the car between 2013-2015. In our market we got adaptive cruise and auto dipping headlights as standard on the QV. We have the C1 brake by wire system, ceramic brakes if you want, alot of alloy and CF panels and a cutting edge turbo engine and a nicely tuned transmission. The infotainment is definately a generation to slow in its features and processing power but otherwise im quite happy with what they achoieved. there is even a forged wheel option (standard wheel) for the car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
@macca: Yes, a lot of people do not choose all the latest tech in their cars, which is usually there for image building, recognition, and mostly a showcase of what they can do from technological perspective. Since development of Giulia was completed around 2016, and since their chassis was at the time so far ahead of the competition, they could without much worry spent the last 3 years catching up in the area they are far behind - the tech - it is much easier to catch up in the latter than improving the "bad" chassis. However it seems they did not. There also seems to be no new models in development on the Giorgio platform (I've even heard E-SUV, GTV and 8C got cancelled.... same old stories then?).

If they want to start generating more serious sales in the price range of premium brands, they must absolutely develop forward their tech to compete (among other also as important things, like sufficient and good dealarship network, and relentless advertisement of their models). It is not like they do not have the tech (it is available in Maseratis for example), it just seems that they do not care. I talked many times with the sales person who sold us the Giulia - and when he has potential buyers coming in from other brands, he usually can't sell the Stelvio simply because they tell him that in X3 they can get a much better infotainment, better headlights, and other techy stuff basically for the same price. Like it or not, but these people usually like to show off the tech in their cars infront of others - and Alfa needs these people to buy their cars to make profit. The sales guy also said they complained to Italy about all this, and they just arrogantly shut them off by saying that there are no real advantages in matrix LEDs and that their infotainment is state of the art - that kind of treatment just makes you feel treated like an idiot.

As I've said erlier, penetrating the premium segment is the harders of jobs in automotive history, you really need to work extremely hard, constantly bring new stuff to the market and make cars to be good in every area, otherwise they will eat you alive - and sales are showing just that. They just seems to be too lazy for the job, constantly changing their future plans/models, and having no stable vision of the future and what Alfa should be,... They do not seem to be dedicated and serious about Alfa. it is truly a miracle that Giulia happend as it did - it is the best thing under Fiat ownership by far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts