Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the subtle hint by @sauluk after most of us went off topic on his thread, I thought a new thread is best to continue our discussions on the post Covid car market for any type of Giulia (or Stelvio).

Questions that remain to be answered are relating to: Used car values, dealer discounts, PCP values, GFV, cash purchase, factory orders, spares support for existing cars or any other related discussion. Tagged everyone that took part in the other thread.

@Kev.K @smarty156 @cue2 @hector56 @alfaitalia @paultrim @MarkW10 @sauluk

Some interesting industry views:

"Our prediction is that companies with either global balanced footprints or companies with heavy footprints in China will experience a lower impact than others, as China is slowly starting to recover already".

"Our short-term forecasts for the coming months will be worse than otherwise would have been the case, as the effects of COVID-19 continue to be felt. At present, our longer-term forecasts for one to five years in the future are likely to remain broadly unchanged, as we wait to see longer-term impacts on new car registrations, especially following plant closures from many manufacturers. A fall in registrations this year could help support used values in the long term, and there are also a great many other factors which could yet influence values in various directions".

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Taking the subtle hint by @sauluk after most of us went off topic on his thread, I thought a new thread is best to continue our discussions on the post Covid car market for any type of Giulia (or Stelvio).

Questions that remain to be answered are relating to: Used car values, dealer discounts, PCP values, GFV, cash purchase, factory orders, spares support for existing cars or any other related discussion. Tagged everyone that took part in the other thread.

@Kev.K @smarty156 @cue2 @hector56 @alfaitalia @paultrim @MarkW10 @sauluk

Some interesting industry views:

"Our prediction is that companies with either global balanced footprints or companies with heavy footprints in China will experience a lower impact than others, as China is slowly starting to recover already".

"Our short-term forecasts for the coming months will be worse than otherwise would have been the case, as the effects of COVID-19 continue to be felt. At present, our longer-term forecasts for one to five years in the future are likely to remain broadly unchanged, as we wait to see longer-term impacts on new car registrations, especially following plant closures from many manufacturers. A fall in registrations this year could help support used values in the long term, and there are also a great many other factors which could yet influence values in various directions".
"A fall in registrations this year could help support used values in the long term", which is what I said.
For those that have just bought or are buying new now, as long as you keep the car at least a couple of years, I don't think you'll have much to worry about over and above normal (pre Covid-19) depreciation. Cars of that age will be relatively scarce and therefore be more in demand.
Where second hand values MIGHT be hit are cars that are currently say up to say 2 years old where they've been handed back early. Then again, in 2 years time if people are looking for a 2 year old car and can't find one (due to scarcity already mentioned) then maybe they'll look at slightly older cars instead. Couple that with the fact that Giulia and Stelvios have a 5 year warranty then buying a 4 year old Alfa is less risky than a buying a 4 year old BMW/Merc thats out of warranty.
In all honesty though, nobody knows and it's all guesswork.
In terms of PCPs, they'll continue because manufacturers need to sell cars. FCA finance won't suddenly stop selling PCPs. What will happen with GFVs? Maybe the manufacturers will keep them where they are to bolster the used car values. Maybe they'll reduce them so they don't get caught out. Not sure.

If I were in the market for a new car before this all came up then if I could get a cracking PCP deal now (low APR and still sensible GFV) I'd take it.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see if VW use their Heycar used car competitor for Autotrader which in turn owns Honest John to have better control of VW group used cars and their values. VW preregistered a load of Audis which were pre WLTP spec.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They will have to come up with something a lot better than the scrappage scheme this time.

We are all guessing, but to me it is obvious where the market (as well as the jobs that support performance car market) are going.

Like I said in the other thread. It is the way most people buy their cars that will cause a issue. They don’t buy them at all. They pay the depreciation for the first 3 years with a £30-35k GFV, hand them back and get another.

People used to driving m3’s will find the same money gets them in a 318.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Long time no visit, hope you and yours are ok MG after reading the other thread.

Im a keen observer hear given my pcp is up in Oct and i was undecided what to do given the lack of comparable interesting alternative options and assumedly continued delay in the my20? (or is it 21) quad and the ochre color job.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long time no visit, hope you and yours are ok MG after reading the other thread.

Im a keen observer hear given my pcp is up in Oct and i was undecided what to do given the lack of comparable interesting alternative options and assumedly continued delay in the my20? (or is it 21) quad and the ochre color job.
My missus is mostly out of it. I am getting there. Good news is you get past a week, you are unlikely to die. Never thought I would say this so lightly! Thanks for asking.

Back to topic, even if Alfa and FCA get production back on track say in a month or two, the RHD market is likely to be left far behind. So it will be more like MY21 for the Quad. The RHD MY20 Giulias have not started arriving yet. Just some Stelvios in the showrooms.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Interesting stuff

I'm testing the market at the moment and Alfa dealers seem desperate to offload new stock cars and are offering better price for cash than pcp - it used to be the other way around . Maybe they need the cashflow ? but dont they get cash off FCA ?

Used cars from non Alfa dealers prices seem to be dropping slightly but they are not desperate to discount further
2 have walked away from a deal , 1 for a grand one for£ 500 he said he made his profit on the add on products that I didnt want

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting stuff

I'm testing the market at the moment and Alfa dealers seem desperate to offload new stock cars and are offering better price for cash than pcp - it used to be the other way around . Maybe they need the cashflow ? but dont they get cash off FCA ?

Used cars from non Alfa dealers prices seem to be dropping slightly but they are not desperate to discount further
2 have walked away from a deal , 1 for a grand one for£ 500 he said he made his profit on the add on products that I didnt want
‘Not the most ethical thing to do but I know people who have took finance at a silly rate from the Indy dealer, got a great discount, then cancelled and paid the finance the following day.

·
Registered
670 Posts
‘Not the most ethical thing to do but I know people who have took finance at a silly rate from the Indy dealer, got a great discount, then cancelled and paid the finance the following day.
Yeah must be common as when I was getting a settlement statement from FCA website today ,on of the options for reasons why was " only took finance to get discount deal "

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah must be common as when I was getting a settlement statement from FCA website today ,on of the options for reasons why was " only took finance to get discount deal "
What are you thinking of doing now Hector? Are you still going to swap to the QV?

·
Registered
670 Posts
yes definitely going to get a quad either cash for a decent used one at the right price or new on PCP

·
Registered
125 Posts
Much more chance of a decent discount on a new one.

Even the cheapest new/used Audi’s are the through dealers at the moment. They have discounted the new/facelift rs4 by £10k. Never happened before.

Most private sellers are in dreamland.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Much more chance of a decent discount on a new one.

Even the cheapest new/used Audi’s are the through dealers at the moment. They have discounted the new/facelift rs4 by £10k. Never happened before.

Most private sellers are in dreamland.
You are right that private sellers, car dealers are holding poker face or being hopeful. Official dealers will be more flexible especially with volume of stock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Give it a few weeks and they will realise they have to follow suit.

Using dealer 2017 rs4’s as a comparison, when used/private prices catch up in a few weeks. I think a 2017 car has lost £10k from current advertised prices.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give it a few weeks and they will realise they have to follow suit.

Using dealer 2017 rs4’s as a comparison, when used/private prices catch up in a few weeks. I think a 2017 car has lost £10k from current advertised prices.
I am not familiar with Audi prices. Even Alfa Dealers don't appear to be reducing their prices by those sort of amounts. A couple of grand or thereabouts. The Giulia is not a huge volume seller. There are only a few on sale so I am not certain if they will be that desperate as you suggest BMW and Audi are dropping price. Most Alfa dealers also sell Fiat and other makes. It is a bit hard to predict for sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am not familiar with Audi prices. Even Alfa Dealers don't appear to be reducing their prices by those sort of amounts. A couple of grand or thereabouts. The Giulia is not a huge volume seller. There are only a few on sale so I am not certain if they will be that desperate as you suggest BMW and Audi are dropping price. Most Alfa dealers also sell Fiat and other makes. It is a bit hard to predict for sure.
20% discount is normal on a new m car. Definitely not on a Rs4.

2017 with nice spec was not far short of 60k a few months back.

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
376 Posts
Interesting stuff

Hi
I bought a new veloce in March (picked it up on the 14th-just in time) and traded in my previous 2017 veloce. My PCP deal was up June next year but I wasn't definitely changing now, however the deal I had was excellent (far as I was concerned). I was going to get another one anyway. I am now paying nearly £60 a month (with a £3k deposit) less than my old car. I also saved the 16 payments i had left @ £60 a month (£960) and now have a 5 year warranty. Plus the service cost for June is now deferred to March next year.

I previously had a vesuvio grey before with tan inside. I didn't used to be keen on black inside,but then I saw one in Silverstone Grey and black inside. Look, I know its silver but its a cracking silver and the colour really suits the Giulia. The black splitter and window surround now creates a great contrasts as does the black leather inside and the dark 5 hole alloys.

Only thing I need to change is the rear wheels. My old car had 9J at the rear, so when this coronavirus situation is over I'm looking to part ex my current 8J rears for a set of 9j's (Autolusso or Veloce maybe?).

Also for some reason my new car has much more of a pronounced 'growl' when accelerating, whereas my old one was much more muted. Even my wife commented that she prefers the sound of the engine in the new car

Happy days for me regarding the car, but obviously not the situation we are all in

All the best and stay safe :) (y)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
20% discount is normal on a new m car. Definitely not on a Rs4.
I did notice the price of the M3's at the moment is very enticing, certainly they are coming within budget on a PCP for me whereas the QF is still just out, but that will be GFV killing the QF. I've still got 12 months left at least anyway before I can do anything so anything could have happened by then.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts