Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It’s difficult to time it right if you’re busy and you need a loan car.
So if my car is showing under 3/4 do I need to top up the oil to full or are you all advising to avoid trying to get to full because you may overfill the engine oil?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
It’s difficult to time it right if you’re busy and you need a loan car.
So if my car is showing under 3/4 do I need to top up the oil to full or are you all advising to avoid trying to get to full because you may overfill the engine oil?
As long as it is between the min and max markers there is no need to top up oil. If is closer to min level maybe worth adding a small amount.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Anywhere between the two bars is fine. You only need to top it up if it falls below the minimum of the two middle bars and it warns you. It’s better to be between the two bars, which is fine, rather than risk over filling it which can be a big problem.

I had a low oil warning about 4 weeks before it was booked in at Mangos for my 3rd service last week. As it was a weekend, I couldn’t get the exact oil but put in a litre in of the same type but a different manufacturer. The low oil was still showing so I called in at a local Fiat dealer for some of the recommenced oil the next day and it looked okay.

After another couple of weeks, it started to show “change oil” although it was less than 12 months since the last service and just over 8000 miles.

A couple of days before it’s 3rd service, another light came on saying I had exceeded the maximum level. The guy at the dealer said everything actually looked okay and after an oil change it’s back to normal.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I topped up a half litre when my warming light came on. The recommended oil came from a Fiat dealer (ten a penny). For fear of over filling I'd not put more than half a litre in before running for 5 mins to check the new level.

Personally I'd have gladly paid another £10 for a proper dipstick to be fitted

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
My service is on Thursday, and the change oil light came on at the weekend. But today - I got this message.....need to top up now, rather than waiting? It will all get changed on Thursday anyway, but I assume it can’t wait.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Oil is cheap compared to engines.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Must admit I do wonder how accurate the level sensor is? I've 2.2JTDM and the level was below the top mark so I got the right brand of oil and started to slowly top up the engine. I put 1/2 a litre and no change on the display. All my old cars would go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top level with a half litre. Is the sump particularly wide or should I add more oil?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The FCA extended warranty allows you to go over by 1,000 miles or 4 weeks. I think the manufacturer warranty is the same but can't find it right now.
As for oil level, in the middle or 3/4 is what is be aiming for. I wouldn't want it to be less and you're risking over fill if you aim for more. Not sure why people think it's supposed to be at the maximum. You'd never have done that with an actual dipstick.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Must admit I do wonder how accurate the level sensor is? I've 2.2JTDM and the level was below the top mark so I got the right brand of oil and started to slowly top up the engine. I put 1/2 a litre and no change on the display. All my old cars would go from the bottom of the dipstick to the top level with a half litre. Is the sump particularly wide or should I add more oil?
Take your time, you can always add more, but taking out is a problem ;) .... It can take some time/distance for the electronic gauge to display the actual current status.....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would go to the top of a dipstick, most engines consume some oil and if you go to maximum before a long trip it should give you enough oil in reserve without having to refill. My Italian holidays usually put 3000 miles on the car each year, to be fair it is easier to get all the right fluids in an Italian hypermarket. I've never seen Paraflu in Tesco they sell it in Conad in Fermo!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Take your time, you can always add more, but taking out is a problem ;) .... It can take some time/distance for the electronic gauge to display the actual current status.....
I was surprised to not see any change in the level with a half litre addition.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I was surprised to not see any change in the level with a half litre addition.
From manual:
2.0T4 MAir engine
Proceed as follows:
with the car level, run the engine for
approximately 5 minutes (temperature
higher than 176°F (80°C)) and then stop
the engine;
start the engine again and idle it for
about 2 minutes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts