Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow Alfists,

In my previous post called “Giulia D.N.A and mpg: THE TRUTH”, we established that there were clear differences in mpg when using the different D.N.A. settings.
We also confirmed that the Alfa Romeo official figures of mpg where nowhere near the actual figures (yeah yeah I know… it was a surprise for no one… :sleeping:)
Those tests were done when my engine had only done 800 miles.
Now... What about the same test a 5,000 miles? Anyone interested? You know when a car dealer or a mate tells you “and of course your mpg will improve with time”, shouldn’t we put that to the test too?

Let me know if it's interesting and I will wear my lab coat and run yet another test for all Alfa scientists out there :nerd:

For reminder, here were my original findings:

Car: Giulia Speciale, 2.2 Diesel, 180 bhp

Methodolody:
•88 miles journey for each test
•80% Motorway, 20% town and traffic
•Speed set to 70mph whenever possible
•Driving style was identical for each day (I did NOT drive more sporty when in D mode )
•Fuel was Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel
•Load was the same each day (ie myself!)
•Start & Go Evo activated
•Aircon on 19C

Results (drums rolling....):
A. 49.6 mpg
N. 47.0 mpg
D. 45.8 mpg

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'm sure a test with a "run in" engine would be interesting.

On the original results, though, if the difference between A and D is only about 4 mpg, that means if you do 10 000 miles per year, you save 100 quid.

Now, I haven't driven a diesel Giulia, so I don't know if having it in D mode makes it a lot more fun to drive, but if it does, it's probably worth paying that much extra, surely?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,153 Posts

On the original results, though, if the difference between A and D is only about 4 mpg, that means if you do 10 000 miles per year, you save 100 quid.

Now, I haven't driven a diesel Giulia, so I don't know if having it in D mode makes it a lot more fun to drive, but if it does, it's probably worth paying that much extra, surely?
I agree. I have been given a diesel Giulia as ac ourtesy car while my petrol is in today for the software update. Done about 60 miles so far and with a mix of N and D modes, with a reset trip meter and driving 70+ (25 miles motorway, 30 miles A roads, 5 miles town) average is 45.1mpg. On the diesel the difference in mpg between modes in minimal and not worth driving in A, IMO. On the petrol, the difference is massive. 37 mpg (All A) to 29mpg (Mostly D). Its a lot more engaging to drive in D, but if the steering weighting and tautness of drive is tiresome after a while, N is not too bad either on the diesel. Will be certainly interesting to see what 5000miles figures are OP.

Reactions: Loufada

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
On my car, I have a single control for the driving mode. It's situated below the steering wheel, to the right of the brake pedal. :evil:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
OP, can't go wrong with a bit of science so please test away. Did your figures come from the trip computer or from brimming the tank?

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I agree. I have been given a diesel Giulia as ac ourtesy car while my petrol is in today for the software update. Done about 60 miles so far and with a mix of N and D modes, with a reset trip meter and driving 70+ (25 miles motorway, 30 miles A roads, 5 miles town) average is 45.1mpg. On the diesel the difference in mpg between modes in minimal and not worth driving in A, IMO. On the petrol, the difference is massive. 37 mpg (All A) to 29mpg (Mostly D). Its a lot more engaging to drive in D, but if the steering weighting and tautness of drive is tiresome after a while, N is not too bad either on the diesel. Will be certainly interesting to see what 5000miles figures are OP.

Interested in your view of the diesel to drive vs your petrol MG. How do you find it ?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,153 Posts
Interested in your view of the diesel to drive vs your petrol MG. How do you find it ?
This is just day 1 however I already have my early impressions. Will post it somewhere appropriate today or tomorrow.

Reactions: Hugh Myles

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Fair enough. I gather the thing is much more accurate than past models but at this kind of single figure percentage variance, it might be worth recording fills & mileages and brimming the tank.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Please remember that I drove reasonably in all styles. When I am not doing "scientific" work, if I drive on D mode, I meant it! G-target displayed on dashboard, manual mode with steering wheel shift paddles and T2 soundtrack playing loudly on the audio system!...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Agree with Eddie re the QF/QV/Q/Quadrifoglio MPG claims and accuracy of the trip, but I haven't seen any meaningful improvement with additional miles. My combined MPG over the 6000 miles is 24mpg, that has maybe crept up from closer to 23.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,170 Posts
Quadrifoglio mpg

I've seen a marginal improvement over the first 2,700 miles, but I doubt if it’s anything statistically significant.

Early on, I was getting about 21-22 and now the average over the total mileage is up to 25mpg.

I do find the trip computer is within an mpg or so of my brimming calculations.

Early on I was driving relatively gently, because I do still believe in running a modern engine in.

Then I had the trip out to Italy, when I was using autoroutes. On the return, on minor roads I drove the car quite a bit harder, though very rarely anywhere near full throttle, and there was still a fair proportion of autoroutes. On the way out, I was getting around 30, on the way back little more than 25.

I’m using 100 grade fuel when I find it, otherwise 98. The grade of even Shell Nitro varies between countries. I noticed it was 98 in Luxembourg whilst 100 in the other countries I’ve bought it.

I feel that there has been much more variation in mpg due to the difference in routes I’ve chosen and to my use of more power as time passed than any due to the engine freeing up.

Perhaps a more scientific approach, like that being adopted by Loufada, might yield some more meaningful conclusions, now I’m back doing more ‘normal’ local drives.

BUT this is a high performance Alfa. I didn’t give any thought to its mpg when I chose it. If I can improve on the 24.5mpg I averaged over my 176,000 miles in the 156 GTA, I’ll be pleased.

I do believe in keeping a running tote of mpg over the life of the car as it can give early indication that a component is failing.

Andy

Reactions: trashbat

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,463 Posts
My guess is that we'll all end up around 24 to 25 mpg as an average in the QV, unless town driving makes up a big proportion of the mileage, when early 20s is probable.

I'm now down to 24.5 in my Q, having driven the first 700 miles or so at an average of 28.5mpg.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I typically average around 23/24mpg in the QV. I did however run a couple of weeks back to back where I was on the family commute more than the hoon. I averaged low 30s over the 700 mile measurement which shows how good the car can be for family duties. Now i'm back to my old tricks the car is happily returning low 20s once again.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, this morning was supposed to be my first run at it, on A Mode (A stands for Annoying in case you didn't know yet). I wasn't looking forward to 88 miles like that but things did go from bad to worst. I spent 45 minutes in traffic jam due to congestions on the M4. So this ride won't be a "typical" one and cannot count in the study.
I also have a unusual week so Iwon't be doing my typical commute either now.
Next week for sure...
In the mean time, enjoy your Alfas!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, some issues last week and I didn't got to do my normal commute.
So far in the bag is A. mode drive. (no... I won't tell you the results now!)
By tonight I'll have N. mode results.
Which means that tomorrow is going to be D. mode test day! :jester: And I am already excited a bit like a kid who needs to eat all his veg before he is allowed a nice dessert!

Full results published Tomorrow pm hopefully. :type:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So folks, here are the results at last! I bravely faced boredom as I cruised about in the different driving modes, trying to replicate every day the ride from the previous drive. No powerful accelerations, no neat overtaking, no fun… I refrained myself from showing “Who's the Boss" to mildly tuned Vauxhalls and swallowed my pride when overtaken by rusted Ford KAs. Just a much focused “Granny driving” style…
And here are the numbers (Because I am nice like that, I am also providing the L/100km numbers for our friends on the continent(s)… )

Have you spotted the anomaly? My mpg in D-mode is BETTER than in N-mode. I FIND NO REASON FOR IT. The ride was the same. If anything, I felt I was slightly pushing it harder in D-mode. Odd…

In any case, the message remains the same. After 6,000 miles (10,000km), you can expect about 2 to 5% fuel economy versus the engine being new. Did you expect a bigger difference? Or no difference at all?

I will now ditch the white coat and return to be my normal self :silly:

Have fun

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you take wind into account? Last week there was a strong headwind on my Scotland to Manchester commute and my fuel consumption was significantly more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts