Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new here this is my first post. I have just ordered a MY21 Giulia Veloce ti. The dealer is telling me that it could be up to 20 weeks before i get it. I’m not big on waiting. Is this a realistic time frame or is the dealer just being a bit “cup half empty” Thought please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cassino plant is often idling and also it‘s closed for august which is in 13 weeks or so.
When you say the plant is often idling, is that because they wait for the number of orders to build up before they start a production run. I thought all Giulia would be built on the same line with various bits added or left out according to the spec. I would have thought the car would be enRoute to UK before the Italian annual holiday

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Ti MY21
42 Posts
I ordered end of March and I'm being told end of July (so 17 weeks). Other people have said in other threads that they're receiving early March orders in the next couple of weeks, but who knows right now with the chip shortages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I hadn’t factored the chip shortage in. I think that is having an impact on all manufacturers. Maybe i just need a good dose of patience.

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Ti MY21
42 Posts
Yeah JLR and Mini Oxford have had to shut production, haven't heard anything about FCA but doesn't mean they haven't been impacted. Hopefully dealers quote longest lead time to refrain from over promising but I'm telling myself end of July and anything sooner will be a bonus. Hard waiting though as I'm really looking forward to getting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah JLR and Mini Oxford have had to shut production, haven't heard anything about FCA but doesn't mean they haven't been impacted. Hopefully dealers quote longest lead time to refrain from over promising but I'm telling myself end of July and anything sooner will be a bonus. Hard waiting though as I'm really looking forward to getting it.
Yes ditto

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi petrol head Paul, given everything that has gone on over the last year, and that alfa and a is having a bit of a shake up currently, Stellantis, new CEO's etc, that time seems like a reasonable estimate. My first Giulia took just over 15 weeks, from point of order to driving it home, back in 2017.

I ordered a new Giulia back in February now, and I'm up to week 11 since the order went in, and still waiting, hopefully only another few weeks, fingers crossed. They said a "standard" factory order can take 8-14 weeks, but obviously these are not standard time's, with microchips in short supply, carbon also the same, Covid, and the PSA FCA merger. Hopefully you will get a really nice surprise and it will be completed nearer the 8 week. What spec did you go for? I did notice on the previous Giulia, a lot of people were getting there's way before me, and I think that's because I chose an unusual specification.

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Ti MY21
42 Posts
Strange you're still waiting Mazza200sx, others who have ordered later (in the Giulia pictures and experiences threae) in March have been told they'll have theirs in the next couple of weeks. Based on those two people, it seems like 11 to 12 weeks from order to collection is the normal but as you say who knows right now.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,961 Posts
So its not because the factory is inundated with orders and they cant keep up with demand?

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
recent report Google translated.

“The Stellantis plant in Cassino, the production site of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio, is preparing to experience a month of May characterized by constant recourse to layoffs. The company, in fact, has unveiled the production calendar for the month by anticipating the use of layoffs, with total production stop in the plant, for 6 of the 21 working days in May.

It is therefore a cut of about 28% of the already reduced production capacity of the Cassino plant. Also for the month of May, therefore, the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio will be built at a particularly slow pace, in line with the (scarce) requests coming from the Italian and, more generally, European four-wheeler market.

The program announced by Stellantis includes stops on the days of 7, 10, 17, 24, 28 and 31 May. It is good to specify that the announced program is provisional. In the next few days, further production stops could be announced, as has already been done in recent months in the plant which, since January, with the end of production of the Giulietta, is traveling at a very slow pace.

Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio
The decline in Cassino production continues

The Cassino plant continues to experience a very difficult period. The Lazio site, in fact, recorded a reduction in the workforce of over 900 workers. Overall, in fact, in the last two years there has been an increase from 4,300 to 3,400 workers with numerous exits and no new hires.

Furthermore, according to the data provided by the unions, only 10 thousand units were produced in Cassino during the first quarter of 2021 with a decrease of -17% compared to the first quarter of 2020 (we remind you that in March 2020 the plant was stopped for via the lockdown). According to union estimates, Cassino production covers approximately 15% of the plant's production capacity.

Every day, when there are no complete stops in production, there is recourse to layoffs for 400-500 workers. The situation is becoming more and more unsustainable and the crisis seems to have no end even for the related industries. It should be noted that a garrison by the FImU-cub base union is scheduled to launch the alarm on 6 May.....”

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
And the paint shop is closed

At Cassino Plant things are not going so well. The Alfa Romeo plant, where the Biscione builds the Giulia and Stelvio, provides for a further use of social safety nets. There is therefore no peace in Cassino after Stellantis had announced at least six days of total stop already in May. In fact, as of today, the Bodywork and Painting departments within the Cassino Plant will suffer a further total stop due to recourse to layoffs for the workers involved.

However, the stop has considerable reasons: the stop was in fact necessary due to the low demand that the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio are experiencing, a useful characterization to adapt the processes to think about better times. On the other hand, according to trade union estimates, the production of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio covers a small slice of the Cassino Plant's production capacity, equal to only 20%. Consequently, the use of layoffs and production cuts represent consequences that unfortunately cannot be put aside. The stop of the two aforementioned departments is therefore a painful step, but necessary given how things are going.

Clearly, however, the condition in Cassino is starting to become seriously unsustainable for the workers of the plant which is experiencing its darkest period and who still does not see the light at the end of the tunnel. The relaunch is clearly not close”

·
Registered
365 Posts
recent report Google translated.

“The Stellantis plant in Cassino, the production site of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio, is preparing to experience a month of May characterized by constant recourse to layoffs. The company, in fact, has unveiled the production calendar for the month by anticipating the use of layoffs, with total production stop in the plant, for 6 of the 21 working days in May.

It is therefore a cut of about 28% of the already reduced production capacity of the Cassino plant. Also for the month of May, therefore, the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio will be built at a particularly slow pace, in line with the (scarce) requests coming from the Italian and, more generally, European four-wheeler market.

The program announced by Stellantis includes stops on the days of 7, 10, 17, 24, 28 and 31 May. It is good to specify that the announced program is provisional. In the next few days, further production stops could be announced, as has already been done in recent months in the plant which, since January, with the end of production of the Giulietta, is traveling at a very slow pace.

Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio
The decline in Cassino production continues

The Cassino plant continues to experience a very difficult period. The Lazio site, in fact, recorded a reduction in the workforce of over 900 workers. Overall, in fact, in the last two years there has been an increase from 4,300 to 3,400 workers with numerous exits and no new hires.

Furthermore, according to the data provided by the unions, only 10 thousand units were produced in Cassino during the first quarter of 2021 with a decrease of -17% compared to the first quarter of 2020 (we remind you that in March 2020 the plant was stopped for via the lockdown). According to union estimates, Cassino production covers approximately 15% of the plant's production capacity.

Every day, when there are no complete stops in production, there is recourse to layoffs for 400-500 workers. The situation is becoming more and more unsustainable and the crisis seems to have no end even for the related industries. It should be noted that a garrison by the FImU-cub base union is scheduled to launch the alarm on 6 May.....”
Is that from the club alfa news site? I don't know how much of it is true, but they post some interesting articles, good and bad.

Edit, your second post beat my reply. 🤣

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
I think as most of their inside news is union based and the government layoff or “Casa Intergrstion “ will give them timing. A friend with a cousin working at Maserati told me most of his cousin‘s work can be at home waiting for people to buy Maseratis. He’s alright as he’s busy designing cars in Turin for a Chinese company.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think as most of their inside news is union based and the government layoff or “Casa Intergrstion “ will give them timing. A friend with a cousin working at Maserati told me most of his cousin‘s work can be at home waiting for people to buy Maseratis. He’s alright as he’s busy designing cars in Turin for a Chinese company.
It reminds me of the Austin Rover years. Let's hope they stay alive though. It can't be good for all those staff, you have to feel for them. I actually applied to work at Rover two years before they collapsed.

Apparently the Giulia GTA and GTAM are now finished and ready to go on sale.

·
Registered
38,871 Posts
I was an “ intern“ at the Austin Rover studio in 1986 and there was a lot of schmoozin of politicians and people who might have wanted to invest in Rover. I spent a couple of weeks at Longbridge to do a study on how design could aid production. I always remember a line manager saying that if it was his company he wouldn’t employ any of the people on his bit of the line. Nice times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi petrol head Paul, given everything that has gone on over the last year, and that alfa and a is having a bit of a shake up currently, Stellantis, new CEO's etc, that time seems like a reasonable estimate. My first Giulia took just over 15 weeks, from point of order to driving it home, back in 2017.

I ordered a new Giulia back in February now, and I'm up to week 11 since the order went in, and still waiting, hopefully only another few weeks, fingers crossed. They said a "standard" factory order can take 8-14 weeks, but obviously these are not standard time's, with microchips in short supply, carbon also the same, Covid, and the PSA FCA merger. Hopefully you will get a really nice surprise and it will be completed nearer the 8 week. What spec did you go for? I did notice on the previous Giulia, a lot of people were getting there's way before me, and I think that's because I chose an unusual specification.
Hi Mazza200SX
Sorry for the late reply (work has a habit of getting in the way of things) I think you are correct with regard to COVID, CEO change and chip shortages having an impact on lead times. If the estimated delivery date of September 11th is correct the ne car will arrive a couple of weeks before my birthday. As for the spec it is Veloce tI in Alfa red with yellow callipers and red stitching. The DAP + , carbon pack, climate and lighting packs are standard with the tI. I’m just not someone who was blessed with a lot of patience so fingers crossed that it will be before the August Italian shutdown.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Mazza200SX
Sorry for the late reply (work has a habit of getting in the way of things) I think you are correct with regard to COVID, CEO change and chip shortages having an impact on lead times. If the estimated delivery date of September 11th is correct the ne car will arrive a couple of weeks before my birthday. As for the spec it is Veloce tI in Alfa red with yellow callipers and red stitching. The DAP + , carbon pack, climate and lighting packs are standard with the tI. I’m just not someone who was blessed with a lot of patience so fingers crossed that it will be before the August Italian shutdown.
I've been through it once already, it's a hard thing waiting for your car to be built, especially if you see people who've ordered after you get theirs before you. But stick with it, it will be worth it. I love my Veloce it drives beautiful and always gets looks. Mostly by myself. I spend most of my time on here whilst waiting, I don't think it helps a lot, but its a bit of a distraction. You could find that a lot of manufacturers lead times are also slower than usual, the alternative would be to buy a lot car, that might not have the exact spec you desire?

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce Ti MY21
42 Posts
I keep telling myself the same thing. Perhaps a stock car without the exact specs I wanted would get to me quicker but worth waiting getting the options you want. I'm terrible with patience, I want whatever I order delivered by yesterday.

Building up my car detailing product arsenal ready for when it arrives though.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts