Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really had any problem with how the indicators work in any car I've owned. However, the indicators in my Veloce drive me mad and I'm wondering whether that is how they are supposed to work or whether mine is not right.

What happens is when I indicate, say, left, I press the indicator stalk hard down until it clicks. In every other car, the stalk then stays down whilst the indicators are indicating whereas in my Giulia the stalk returns to the neutral position. If, for some reason, the indicator hasn't cancelled automatically after a turn and I try to cancel them manually, I need to flick the lever from the neutral position upwards. This tends to make the car indicate right rather than just stop to indicating left.
Is this how a Giulia's indicators are supposed to work? Does anyone else have this issue?

Other than that, I love the car

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
419 Posts
Yes it’s the bmw style switch they borrowed. I still can’t get used to it after 5 years of having in a bmw. You need to really focus to push it just enough to cancel but not indicate opposite. That’s normally when you are focusing on throttle and steering input exiting a corner. It’s quite distracting and unsafe.
when I come to turns that I know don’t have enough of steering lock to cancel it I just do half press which gives three flashes. Sometimes I forget and fully press when overtaking and then look like a fool flicking it left right left till I manage to stop it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I might be wrong, and I need to check this, but if you press down again briefly, whilst already signalling left, as if to signal a lane change, it will cancel the left turn indication after 3 flashes. Likewise if you are signalling right, do the same, brief lift of the stalk and it should cancel after 3 flashes. I’ll try it shortly. I’m sure my old Bimmer used to function like this.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,799 Posts
Lots of Vauxhalls have the same crappy idea...a solution to a problem no-one had in the first place!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Oh well, tried my idea but to no avail. Just have to nudge the stalk in the opposite direction to cancel the signal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input. Yes I agree that the normal system works so well the question to Alfa then is 'why mess with it?' At least my car is as it should be. I'll just put it down to an Alfa quirk

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce
547 Posts
Interesting I didn't know BMWs had indicators fitted as standard I thought they were an optional extra;).
I'm sure our Volvo has the same set up its annoying but I'm just about used to it.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,799 Posts
....and taxis of course....regardless of car used!

Reactions: Navlet

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it’s the bmw style switch they borrowed. I still can’t get used to it after 5 years of having in a bmw. You need to really focus to push it just enough to cancel but not indicate opposite. That’s normally when you are focusing on throttle and steering input exiting a corner. It’s quite distracting and unsafe.
when I come to turns that I know don’t have enough of steering lock to cancel it I just do half press which gives three flashes. Sometimes I forget and fully press when overtaking and then look like a fool flicking it left right left till I manage to stop it.
Yes I agree. I'm pretty used to it but, if there is a lot happening in the corner and you aren't able to focus on the indicators, you do end up going too far and indicating to the other side and feeling like an idiot

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s not “ an Alfa quirk” if it’s a “BMW quirk”?
I guess once they copied the awful BMW gear shift they thought they might as well keep going and copy something else too! Both didn't need to be copied

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have my Giulia for almost 4 years now and I do not have issues with this type of always centered indicator stalk.

I use the lane change function a lot and if I want to cancel the indicator, all I do is move the stalk on opposite direction.

The "trick" is to understand that the is a point in the stalk movement where we have to push harder. Beyond that point, we activate the "full indicator".
To cancel the indicator, just do a brief push (not a full push on the stalk) in the opposite direction of your indicator.

Hope I'm being understandable enough.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think it was designed like this so that there is a 'lane change' function incorporated. Around the half way position going either up or down (or is that left and right) the resistance to movement changes (stiffer). If you get to this position with no-indication active you will have the three flash lane change indication. This mid position also acts as a cancel (opposite direction) if the indicators are on and you want them off. Can't say I've ever thought about it much or had any difficulty with it.

·
Registered
37,956 Posts
I guess once they copied the awful BMW gear shift they thought they might as well keep going and copy something else too! Both didn't need to be copied
It’s the same gearbox. Except the paddles mean you don’t have to use the shifter half the time.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,847 Posts
I have my Giulia for almost 4 years now and I do not have issues with this type of always centered indicator stalk.

I use the lane change function a lot and if I want to cancel the indicator, all I do is move the stalk on opposite direction.

The "trick" is to understand that the is a point in the stalk movement where we have to push harder. Beyond that point, we activate the "full indicator".
To cancel the indicator, just do a brief push (not a full push on the stalk) in the opposite direction of your indicator.

Hope I'm being understandable enough.
+1. Not had a problem once I got used to the slight push for a 3 flash lane change or cancel indicator. Same on most modern motorbikes.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
419 Posts
I understand how to work around it but without proper tactile feedback I cannot do it subconsciously. I am all too often aware of trying to do it right. In other cars you have no recollection of thinking about it. To me this is unsafe especially in QV where speed builds up so quickly you don’t want to also worry about looking like a Christmas tree.
another problem if you are tall the indicator light is not really visible behind the steering wheel and on some surfaces with that trademark b pillar road noise you may not hear if the indicator is still on or not. In a car with indicator positions you can just push it back lightly to make sure but here that will be triple flashing it the other way. I caught myself perma-indicating a few times on motorways.

lastly, there was a distinct satisfying tactile feeling for how that switch worked - these new type switches just feel cheap mechanically to me. I suppose we should be grateful it’s not moved to touch screen yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts