Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a Giulia Veloce but have a question for all those Giulia owners out there.
I have seen the Clarkson review where he says Alfa have put the front doors in the wrong place and its not easy to get out. Is this Clarkson just trying to be funny or have any owners experienced problems. The reason I ask is that I would want the car to be garaged, and while it will just fit in our garage once inside there wont be much room to get out as I'll be unable to fully open the door.
Ultimately the only l will know is to book a test drive and see but in the meantime I just thought I'd ask the opinion of owners in the real world.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Could just be Jeremy, or his head, being a bit oversize for the car. To be honest though, it's not the easiest car to get in or out of.

And of course, he couldn't find much else wrong with the Giulia to criticise.

My garage is very narrow, so much so that I have to remember to fold the mirrors in to get through the door.

I always reverse in and I have a white line up the middle of the floor which I view in the reversing camera image as I crawl the car into the garage.

At 70, 1.76m and 95kg, I'm not the most agile, but I can get out easily enough with care. Park the car an inch to the right of the ideal position and it's a real struggle.

I have old carpet on the wall of the garage to protect the door edges.

Andy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could just be Jeremy, or his head, being a bit oversize for the car. To be honest though, it's not the easiest car to get in or out of.

And of course, he couldn't find much else wrong with the Giulia to criticise.

My garage is very narrow, so much so that I have to remember to fold the mirrors in to get through the door.

I always reverse in and I have a white line up the middle of the floor which I view in the reversing camera image as I crawl the car into the garage.

At 70, 1.76m and 95kg, I'm not the most agile, but I can get out easily enough with care. Park the car an inch to the right of the ideal position and it's a real struggle.

I have old carpet on the wall of the garage to protect the door edges.

Andy
Thanks Andy you have given me an idea. I have never reversed into my garage in 20 years as that would mean I'm on the wrong side of the car to get into the house direct from the garage. However, if I do as you do the drivers door would open into a resess between two brick peers which would give me another 4 inches to play with:party:
I had a test drive today in a lovely Misano Blue Veloce first time I have driven a Giulia, great car I need to make room.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Moving the Bpillar forward relative to that of the 3-series used as a benchmark made the visibility blockage over your shoulder in the diagram in grouptest worse than it’s competitors.
Still , Marchionne got his longer rear door. I remember when working on the 3 door Fiesta design at Ford the engineers had figures for door lengths of competitors and the Fiat Punto door was a a very “round figure” ending in 00 which suggests the Fiat engineers look at numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Moving the Bpillar forward relative to that of the 3-series used as a benchmark made the visibility blockage over your shoulder in the diagram in grouptest worse than it’s competitors.
Still , Marchionne got his longer rear door. I remember when working on the 3 door Fiesta design at Ford the engineers had figures for door lengths of competitors and the Fiat Punto door was a a very “round figure” ending in 00 which suggests the Fiat engineers look at numbers.
Perhaps that's where they started from....

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I have to say the B pillar is a bit of a nuisance, you have to look very carefully for traffic coming from your right at a Y junction.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
I think the proximity of the B pillar is the reason why the door seal splits by the catch, you just rub up against it every time you get in and out. What I have found though, is the lower you set the seat, the more likely you are to use this point to lean against, thereby saving the seal.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I bumped the seal on the back of the door-opening yesterday. The comfort ingress-egress seat movement probably doesn’t help after all!?

According to the manual “Easy Entry Function
The Easy Entry function is designed to retract the driver side seat automatically by 2.36 in (60 mm) to make it easier for the driver to get in and out of the car. The movement is activated only if the seat is set to a driving position which is in front of the B pillar of the vehicle.
The function is associated with power front seats for each of the three stored positions.
The Easy Entry function can be activated/deactivated through the Information and Entertainment System.”
Maybe if that’s deactivated the pillar won’t get scuffed?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts