Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure at some point I'll be looking into the Alfa Giulia, the question is would you buy one?

Now a bit of context, I've owned six Alfa's. 3X 156's, 1 X 159, 1 X Mito, 1 X Giulietta Cloverleaf, it's been a variable experience to say the least, I've had 156's that have lasted 240,000+ miles and the 159 I had lasted around 37K before the engine pretty much ate itself, the Mito (which is near brand new) has had a fair few niggly issues and the G. Cloverleaf has had none.

But that's not really bothered me, I've had dubious dealings with dealers. If they've not tried to rip me off, they've been rude beyond belief. Not to say I haven't found good dealers, e.g. Palmers were great but far away.

In terms of fixing things, they've been pretty much useless on many occasions.. I can live with problems, I've owned err 20 or 30?? Cars and y'know things happen. I've owned new BM's / Fords and always been dealt with effectively and efficiently.

Then we have the cars themselves, IMO they're a little hit and miss again. I loved my 159, but it's not an opinion that the 2.4 JTDM was fat, a little sluggish for the power and rubbish on economy. The G. Cloverleaf for what it is, very much overpriced unless you catch them offering some insane deals. Which they have done, but I looked recently and the prices they're offering them at the moment I wouldn't be inclined to buy one. I'll always have a soft spot for the 156's...

I'd like to believe I'm quite neutral when it comes to cars, an ethusiast definatley but I just love cars.. So when I look at the Giulia I'm a bit perplexed. I'd never pay 53K for a four door Alfa, I've been an Alfa owner for a while and I get the reputation is a little "misplaced" but from own experiences there's nothing I've found Alfa to do extraordinary enough to warrant the cost of their cars.

So based on that, it's a maybe.. I mean if I couldn't find anything better I'd buy one.!

What about you?

Edit: found this on another thread (not sure if it's confirmed or not):

Benzina:
- 2.0 turbo 133 kW (180 hp)
- 2.0 turbo 184 kW (250 hp)
- 2.0 turbo 243 kW (330 hp)
- 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo 375 kW (510 hp)
Diesel:
- 2.2 Multijet 99 kW (135 hp)
- 2.2 Multijet 133 kW (180 hp)
- 2.2 Multijet 154 kW (207 hp)
- 3.0 V6 Twin Turbo 250 kW (340 hp).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am unsure too. I had a 147 back in the early 2000s, which I liked a lot and have had a succession of cars since then, some good and some bad. I currently drive a 2010 Golf GTD, which despite the current emissions kerfuffle, has in the main been a pleasure to own. However, it's five years old now and I have been pondering its replacement for a while now.

The Giulia is definitely on my list but the lack of information from Alfa about the "normal" models is annoying. I'm sure that the Cloverleaf variant gets them more column inches, but the majority of the sales will surely be in the more run of the mill models, namely two litre (or thereabouts) four cylinder petrol and diesel models. So why the lack of information? We don't really know what they'll look like (I'm sure they won't get four exhausts) other than random internet mockups, what toys they'll come with, what colours we'll be able to choose (guess: lots of greys, blacks, silvers, whites, reds, blues and a brown as it seems to be an "in" colour nowadays) and so on.

If I can get a reasonably powerful (ca. 200PS) slightly sporty Giulia with a decent range of goodies for £35K-£42K and I like the way it looks, then the Giulia will probably be top of my list when I come to change in early 2017 (hopefully by then it will be released). If they force me to have leather seats (I refuse to even countenance having leather seats) in a more sporty variant, then the deal's off. If they force me to have a sunroof if I want upgraded audio (like the C-Class), then the deal's off. I haven't dealt with Alfa dealers for many years, but the early 2000s Shrewsbury were awful and a certain Cheshire-based establishment ignored me totally a few years later. There is one "proper" dealer nearby (Stafford), but I have no idea what they're like.

The other cars on my list at the moment are the Jaguar XE, a 3-series or yet another Golf. The Jaguar seems to be a decent car, but as I won't have leather seats, I'm restricted to the base "SE" model, which quite honestly isn't very pretty and is lacking in the gadgets department. Strangely, if I were in Australia, Germany, Ireland or Italy, I could get the far more handsome R-sport variant in faux-leather seats. I doubt if Jaguar's UK dealers have sufficient imagination or initiative to try to order me a car in a "special" specification (I've looked at my local dealer's web site and the mug shots of the sales people make me want to do a runner). If you look at the XE forums on the interwebs, they seem to have a fair number of bizarre reliability issues, like the fuel gauge only reading 3/4 full when it's actually 100% full and the build quality seems a bit lacking in some places (bare metal in the boot if you have split/folding rear seats). The 3-series appeals because it has loads of toys and a nice powerful diesel (330d) but having had a heated front screen once, I'd love to have one again and they don't offer it. Also, I'm not convinced by the looks and it's dreadfully common (the car park at work is full of them). As for the Golf, it's a nice safe option, but VW's recent antics leave a bad taste in the mouth (their contriteness seems to be a total facade) and - yet again - it ain't that nice to look at (I much prefer the Mark 6). Plus, the sales people are dreadful and I had a terrible experience buying my GTD, which took eight months to arrive after they lost the original order and didn't tell me about it for months.

So, it's a maybe from me too. If there were more information out there, I might be able to commit one way or another, but Alfa are being very coy for some reason.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am unsure too. I had a 147 back in the early 2000s, which I liked a lot and have had a succession of cars since then, some good and some bad. I currently drive a 2010 Golf GTD, which despite the current emissions kerfuffle, has in the main been a pleasure to own. However, it's five years old now and I have been pondering its replacement for a while now.

If I can get a reasonably powerful (ca. 200PS) slightly sporty Giulia with a decent range of goodies for £35K-£42K and I like the way it looks, then the Giulia will probably be top of my list when I come to change in early 2017 (hopefully by then it will be released). If they force me to have leather seats (I refuse to even countenance having leather seats) in a more sporty variant, then the deal's off. If they force me to have a sunroof if I want upgraded audio (like the C-Class), then the deal's off. I haven't dealt with Alfa dealers for many years, but the early 2000s Shrewsbury were awful and a certain Cheshire-based establishment ignored me totally a few years later. There is one "proper" dealer nearby (Stafford), but I have no idea what they're like.

So, it's a maybe from me too. If there were more information out there, I might be able to commit one way or another, but Alfa are being very coy for some reason.
Nice, so yeah I pretty much feel the same.. But they'd have to do better than a 200PS car for 35-42K as you can get a 335 beemer (petrol 320HP or diesel 308HP) with a decent amount of kit for around £30K.

Also much agreed about the look and the feel of the low / mid range cars that most will buy, I'm not going to get too much into the design discussion as there's a massive thread on it. But my initial impressions I do prefer the look of the Jag..

@ Cue

Again have to agree, I've ditched the G. Cloverleaf after 11 months, I've lost 8K on it already. Which I get cars depreciate heavily and I'm not that bothered, but when were talking 30K / 40K / 50K cars that "risky" proposition becomes higher.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sure at some point I'll be looking into the Alfa Giulia, the question is would you buy one?

Now a bit of context, I've owned six Alfa's. 3X 156's, 1 X 159, 1 X Mito, 1 X Giulietta Cloverleaf, it's been a variable experience to say the least, I've had 156's that have lasted 240,000+ miles and the 159 I had lasted around 37K before the engine pretty much ate itself, the Mito (which is near brand new) has had a fair few niggly issues and the G. Cloverleaf has had none.

But that's not really bothered me, I've had dubious dealings with dealers. If they've not tried to rip me off, they've been rude beyond belief. Not to say I haven't found good dealers, e.g. Palmers were great but far away.

In terms of fixing things, they've been pretty much useless on many occasions.. I can live with problems, I've owned err 20 or 30?? Cars and y'know things happen. I've owned new BM's / Fords and always been dealt with effectively and efficiently.

Then we have the cars themselves, IMO they're a little hit and miss again. I loved my 159, but it's not an opinion that the 2.4 JTDM was fat, a little sluggish for the power and rubbish on economy. The G. Cloverleaf for what it is, very much overpriced unless you catch them offering some insane deals. Which they have done, but I looked recently and the prices they're offering them at the moment I wouldn't be inclined to buy one. I'll always have a soft spot for the 156's...

I'd like to believe I'm quite neutral when it comes to cars, an ethusiast definatley but I just love cars.. So when I look at the Giulia I'm a bit perplexed. I'd never pay 53K for a four door Alfa, I've been an Alfa owner for a while and I get the reputation is a little "misplaced" but from own experiences there's nothing I've found Alfa to do extraordinary enough to warrant the cost of their cars.

So based on that, it's a maybe.. I mean if I couldn't find anything better I'd buy one.!

What about you?

Edit: found this on another thread (not sure if it's confirmed or not):

Benzina:
- 2.0 turbo 133 kW (180 hp)
- 2.0 turbo 184 kW (250 hp)
- 2.0 turbo 243 kW (330 hp)
- 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo 375 kW (510 hp)
Diesel:
- 2.2 Multijet 99 kW (135 hp)
- 2.2 Multijet 133 kW (180 hp)
- 2.2 Multijet 154 kW (207 hp)
- 3.0 V6 Twin Turbo 250 kW (340 hp).
I'm not a fan of sedans but if I had to buy one I'll buy the Giulia in a heartbeat. I like the styling and the engines will be good as they are proper Alfa engines. I've owned a string of other cars but my GMA and GQV are the best cars I've ever owned. My Alfa dealer is excellent, way, way better than what I had to endure from VW, GM and Ford. As far as depreciation is concerned my GMA was excellent, I lost far less than what I would have on a BMW 1-Series or and Audi A3. I don't agree that the GQV is overpriced. Here in South Africa the QV costs the same as the Golf GTi. I'll never pay Alfa money for something as boring, bland and common as a Golf. I think the Giulia will be a success, it's the only Alfa in its class and for some people that is enough.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a fan of sedans but if I had to buy one I'll buy the Giulia in a heartbeat. I like the styling and the engines will be good as they are proper Alfa engines. I've owned a string of other cars but my GMA and GQV are the best cars I've ever owned. My Alfa dealer is excellent, way, way better than what I had to endure from VW, GM and Ford. As far as depreciation is concerned my GMA was excellent, I lost far less than what I would have on a BMW 1-Series or and Audi A3. I don't agree that the GQV is overpriced. Here in South Africa the QV costs the same as the Golf GTi. I'll never pay Alfa money for something as boring, bland and common as a Golf. I think the Giulia will be a success, it's the only Alfa in its class and for some people that is enough.
Well price is of course relative to your location, here within three or so grand of the QV (brand new) you have the Focus ST (252HP), Leon Cupra (290HP), BMW 340i (322HP), Vauxhall Astra VXR (280HP), Renaultsport Megane 275. With the BMW / Cupra / VXR being the most expensive @ around 28K and the Focus / Megane being around 22K.. The QV (240HP) sits at 25K. So the QV has a lot of strong competition and here it is overpriced..

But no where near as overpriced as the Golf, the 220 HP GTI here is pretty much the same prices as a BMW 340I... (P.S I'm talking deal prices here, not list).

My favourite cars out of the lot is the Focus ST, Leon Cupra and BMW.. I wasn't that keen on the QV, steeping back from some of the upper class contenders, it feels like you're stepping into a cheap rental car. The Giulia would have to be much better than the QV in every respect to be worth a consideration IMO..

Especially as it's primed as a 3 / 5 series alternative. But as they are only opinions, I thought the 159 was great.

Great to know you have good dealers though, for me it's one of THE most important parts. Great servicing / great support.. I've tended to buy Ford / BMW etc. through independant franchises and they have always been good.

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
You are forgetting the purpose of the Giulietta QV and the AMG45 etc. They set the credibility of their ranges by saying there can be an expensive version of the respective cars to say the are good enough to be expensive. However, typically customers buy the middle range derivatives with a couple of options showcased on the top model. If the top model is higher in price then the mid level goes up too. The generous discounts on the QV show how the car does not belong at that elevated level but it's the halo effect that counts. They just have to get them out of the showroom to get people aspiring to them!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It's time for wifey to choose a new company car, she can get something up to about £780 a month from the list or have about £650 back in her salary (taxable) so we've been looking at what to do and what cars are available, and there's not a lot out there in the prestige stakes that floats either of our boats.

She likes the new C Klasse Coupe, although I think the design is a little unresolved, it looks like two different cars cut and shut together from some angles and certainly suffers a lot in the aesthetics when under wheeled. She loves the 6 series and as a concession to 4 door practicality would be happy with a 6 series GT, that's not on the list though, so we'd have to take the money and fund it ourselves (not a bad thing as we'd be building equity in a vehicle we own and 45p a mile on a car doing about 16000 business miles a year will be nice too).

I really wish Alfa had got their act together and got the Guilia out there, but unfortunately they haven't and we have to go elsewhere, the Giulietta isn't anywhere in our thinking, neither is the MiTo.

And even if Alfa did release the Guilia in a timely fashion I'm still not sure we'd choose it over better supported marques.

Reactions: Shadowamd

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
Of all the companies that should be making a CLS/Grancoupe model ,as three box cars are a disappearing bit of the market, it's surely Alfa Romeo.
However, they just don't have the economies of scale to offer both and are left with an anachronism in the form of the Giulia.The feeling of choice and support of a range of cars is missing. Selecting the brake calliper colour does not give the same impression as Mercedes and BMW asking which body-shell you'd like. They are trying the halo model thing with the QV but the std models will be this with downgrades....

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Why would you launch a model into a shrinking market segment? It's shrinking for a reason.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why would you launch a model into a shrinking market segment? It's shrinking for a reason.

Pretty much all segments are shrinking because they keep inventing new ones. The compact exec segment isn't going away any time soon, and a competitive car would be a huge boost for Alfa as it's precisely the sort of car they're known for.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
yes the segments are getting smaller. Hypersegmentation is what is driving car manufacturers in order to try to match as closely as possible the wants of their customers. That's why it is critical to have scale and an efficient platform. If you don't have that then you have to survive as a niche manufacturer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You are forgetting the purpose of the Giulietta QV and the AMG45 etc. They set the credibility of their ranges by saying there can be an expensive version of the respective cars to say the are good enough to be expensive. However, typically customers buy the middle range derivatives with a couple of options showcased on the top model. If the top model is higher in price then the mid level goes up too. The generous discounts on the QV show how the car does not belong at that elevated level but it's the halo effect that counts. They just have to get them out of the showroom to get people aspiring to them!
I'm certainly not forgetting the purpose of them and what you're missing is the PR impact of the "Halo" models. The QV didn't exactly rock the press in a positive manor did it?

Getting them out the showroom is the problem in a nutshell, people who can afford / or will pay for halo models are generally clued up as to what they want.

No matter how good their Halo car is, it's going to be another matter trying to convince the majority of BMW drivers (non-enthusiats) to switch. Primarily because, most people don't give two monkey's about cars. BMW's are shiny and promote reputation (whether right or wrong).. People believe they are the "ultimate driving machine" even though they don't have a clue whether it is or not. I know they're good cars, because I've driven them (plus I swap performance cars every year).. But even before that it was family members telling me they're good, whether they'd driven one or not is a different matter :D..

Most have never heard of an M3 and if I were to ask them do you like RWD cars? The response would probably be I never knew it was RWD (as 83% of owners didn't know the 1 series is RWD (confirmed by BMW). But they never said anything about the 3 series :D..

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
Indeed. The only thing the QV Giulietta achieved was the higher price point and the aspirational press bit never happened. The German brands have 90% of the market and the rest scrabble around for the attention of more courageous buyers. That's Jaguar, Volvo, etc each of which have a usp? I'm not sure the Giulia has the special visual quality even the Giulietta has in its class. To me, an Alfa is a nice torte in a shop window calling your name or a thing you see whilst on holiday that you must buy as a souvenir! Alfa and Jaguar have both lost their visual integrity by looking over their shoulders at the 90% boys.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
When you see it in the flesh it's far more attractive than in pictures. But that would require people to go into a showroom and see one and Alfa need to seriously revamp the showrooms. Most are tiny or shared with other non premium marques. A far car cry from even Jaguar's showrooms, never mind the huge temples of consumerism the Germans have.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indeed. The only thing the QV Giulietta achieved was the higher price point and the aspirational press bit never happened. The German brands have 90% of the market and the rest scrabble around for the attention of more courageous buyers. That's Jaguar, Volvo, etc each of which have a usp? I'm not sure the Giulia has the special visual quality even the Giulietta has in its class. To me, an Alfa is a nice torte in a shop window calling your name or a thing you see whilst on holiday that you must buy as a souvenir! Alfa and Jaguar have both lost their visual integrity by looking over their shoulders at the 90% boys.
Exactly, plus it does feel like Alfa need to do more to bring around it's reputation. Like look at Skoda or Kia, sure they're not the most popular final say in the current markets. But they haven't half come along and their sales reflect that..

I'm not sure going in with a 53K Halo model saying, I'm a Giulia aimed straight at a BMW is the best way to go. There pretending like they're a million unit per year shipping powerhouse. This might be the boring thing to do, but it might be better not to aim for the top straight out the gate and sorta worm their way into modern car buyers again as a "premium brand".

Because another factor is, BMW's and Audi's today aren't actually THAT expensive. Some of the higher end models cost less than Ford Mondeo's etc. So announcing expensive cars at the moment, without any dealer context is going to do the opposite of attracting people.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I'll be needed to put a new car order in come September.
The Guilia will be getting a testdrive spanking
but to be honest a saloon won't be in the running unless
it is exceptional in every way. (Other than lack of pooch
space.)

So far the list looks something like:

Another Evoque (If the Si4 comes in budget)
F-Pace
Guilia
GLA

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll be needed to put a new car order in come September.
The Guilia will be getting a testdrive spanking
but to be honest a saloon won't be in the running unless
it is exceptional in every way. (Other than lack of pooch
space.)

So far the list looks something like:

Another Evoque (If the Si4 comes in budget)
F-Pace
Guilia
GLA
you disloyal you

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well price is of course relative to your location, here within three or so grand of the QV (brand new) you have the Focus ST (252HP), Leon Cupra (290HP), BMW 340i (322HP), Vauxhall Astra VXR (280HP), Renaultsport Megane 275. With the BMW / Cupra / VXR being the most expensive @ around 28K and the Focus / Megane being around 22K.. The QV (240HP) sits at 25K. So the QV has a lot of strong competition and here it is overpriced..

But no where near as overpriced as the Golf, the 220 HP GTI here is pretty much the same prices as a BMW 340I... (P.S I'm talking deal prices here, not list).

My favourite cars out of the lot is the Focus ST, Leon Cupra and BMW.. I wasn't that keen on the QV, steeping back from some of the upper class contenders, it feels like you're stepping into a cheap rental car. The Giulia would have to be much better than the QV in every respect to be worth a consideration IMO..

Especially as it's primed as a 3 / 5 series alternative. But as they are only opinions, I thought the 159 was great.

Great to know you have good dealers though, for me it's one of THE most important parts. Great servicing / great support.. I've tended to buy Ford / BMW etc. through independant franchises and they have always been good.
Horses for courses, it depends what is important to you and that differs from person to person. I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on any of the cars you mention. Focus ST? Too ugly and the interior is a mess. Leon? VAG = years of misery in my experience. BMW? About as exclusive in our market as the Toyota Corolla. For me the GQV offers everything that is important to me, in spades. Reliability, good build quality, fantastic engine and gearbox, good looks and the magic of the Alfa brand. You're entitled to your opinion and fortunately for you there are other cars that suit you better. I can't see myself buying another brand again, when the time comes to replace my GQV it will be with the Giulietta's successor if that materializes or the Giulia.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Horses for courses, it depends what is important to you and that differs from person to person. I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on any of the cars you mention. Focus ST? Too ugly and the interior is a mess. Leon? VAG = years of misery in my experience. BMW? About as exclusive in our market as the Toyota Corolla. For me the GQV offers everything that is important to me, in spades. Reliability, good build quality, fantastic engine and gearbox, good looks and the magic of the Alfa brand. You're entitled to your opinion and fortunately for you there are other cars that suit you better. I can't see myself buying another brand again, when the time comes to replace my GQV it will be with the Giulietta's successor if that materializes or the Giulia.
Exactly feeling the same.
I see my GQV LE as a premium car in its class. No other car is looking as beautiful in- and outside.
I'll be replacing it with another Alfa. Can't see myself driving with other cars. Second car too will be Italian.

Would I spent my money on a Giulia Q ?
The problem in Belgium are the taxes. From 1st of January they changed, CO is getting more and more important.
Expecting a lot of the new 2.0 with 330 HP but it should have a low CO. The Q has 198 wich is too expensive in Belgium.
For me the best offer would be a Giulia hybrid or a Giulia on CNG. Maybe in 2 years ?
After seeing it in the flesh at the IAA, I'll be glad to have a new look at the Brussels Motorshow in 2 weeks.

@Tata
will the SUV be exposed at Geneva ? As you like SUV's worth waiting for it.
I booked my flight :)

Autoedizione speaks about the possibility of an 6C. With the new V6 without twinturbo at about 300 HP and a less rounder design than the 4C.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts