Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a strange one, something I've never seen or even heard of before, but one of the door seals on my two year old very low mileage Giulia has failed. It's worn completely through over about 4 or 5 inches at something like shoulder height on the driver's door, anyone else experienced anything like that? The whole seal feels tissue thin, so in a way I suppose it's hardly surprising that it's failed like this, but even so, I can't really work out how it's happened, all other seals look OK. The only people who've ever driven the car are me and probably a few persons at Alfa dealers, there are no scrapes, scratches abrasion etc, and with the door shut and the car in motion, it's not going to experience any rubbing. The car has been faultless up to now, but this makes me wonder if Alfas really are as flimsy and badly made as ignorant ******s who think they're amusing and original, keep telling me. The Dealer will be getting the car back in the next few days. Maybe I should point out that the seal in question is the one on the door frame, not on the door.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

I’ll be requesting a drivers door seal under warranty when my car goes in for the 2nd service, this happened after those really hot days the other week. They do feel rather flimsy.

Car’s not even 2 year old until late October ... still love it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
This is a strange one, something I've never seen or even heard of before, but one of the door seals on my two year old very low mileage Giulia has failed. .........
I've actually seen/heard about a number of cases.... Probably a matter of inferior rubber ?
In the cases I've read about, the rubber seal was replaced under warranty, and the problem did not come back. So either inferior rubber, or Alfa changed something re type of rubber....

see f.i.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/1181503-door-seal-excess-wear.html

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulia/1179317-door-seal.html

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually seen/heard about a number of cases.... Probably a matter of inferior rubber ?
In the cases I've read about, the rubber seal was replaced under warranty, and the problem did not come back. So either inferior rubber, or Alfa changed something re type of rubber....
Thanks, I thought it unlikely I was the only sufferer, I'll examine all the other seals more closely before I take the car back to the Dealer.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,008 Posts
A few instances were reported on the US forum as well. One example posted quoted.

https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/excess-wear-on-driver-door-seal.38466/

Whether Alfa changed the seal material for the replacement or if it needs another 2 years before the wear shows again remains to be seen. Its all the weight reduction that has led to flimsy rubber, thinner windows etc. all of which contribute to excess road/wind noise in the cabin. Just yesterday I was in a 5 year old Cmax and there was hardly any wind/road noise around the doors compared to the Giulia. The door seals were quite sturdy and the window glass was definitely thicker.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I see it on a few cars, especially 156's at the car wreckers. Of course, those are 15+ years old with 100 thousand kilometers or more, bot a year or two with 20kms. 'European' door seals always seem a little softer than Japanese door seals, or in slightly awkward and exposed places. I think other car makes might put more seals on the door, and less on the car side of the opening.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Not good ... customer care will not replace the drivers door seal under warranty ... they claim it’s wear and tear.

That’s really poor, considering the number of posts I have read where seals have been replaced under warranty.

Car is 2yrs old 17,500k ... probably about 600 journeys in total.

I have 2 x much older cars with seals intact, inferior material I say.

Not happy

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Mine has just been changed into a guarantee...

Giulia of June 2016 and 50Mkm.

Grrrrrr

Can you tell if the seal is a different type from the original one fitted or is it exactly the same?

Do you have any pictures of the original damage?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grrrrrr

Can you tell if the seal is a different type from the original one fitted or is it exactly the same?

Do you have any pictures of the original damage?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I do not have a photo but it was identical to the photo of johnafish.
I will watch this weekend if the subject is different.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Mines gone, but not at the sill treadstrip, mines gone by the door catch - seems to be the rubbing of people getting in & out of the car. I'm in the process of getting a new one & report back on quality differences!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not good ... customer care will not replace the drivers door seal under warranty ... they claim it’s wear and tear.

That’s really poor, considering the number of posts I have read where seals have been replaced under warranty.

Car is 2yrs old 17,500k ... probably about 600 journeys in total.

I have 2 x much older cars with seals intact, inferior material I say.

Not happy

Woa! This is not good at all!
Surely there is enough evidence on this forum alone to show that it is definitely NOT wear & tear - do you hoist a desk on to the drivers seat and scrape the rubbers every time you get in to the car? Do you sit on the seat sideways and scrape your feet on the rubbers every time you get out of the car?

This needs escalating right to the top - it's disgusting. By treating you like this Alfa is just perpetuating the old reputation they are - apparently - trying to shed

I love my Giulia, but stuff like this really gets up my nose!
I had a problem with my previous AMG250 Coupe that the dealer said they fixed and was OK. Two months out of warranty, the same issue arose - complained that they mustn't have done the previous fix correctly. Merc paid 75% of the cost - happy customer! This wan't the dealer, as they had to get authority from Merc direct.

You need to take this higher @matty74 and @giuliaRob

Hope you have success, because this just sucks :(

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Cheers, Don’t worry, I will be taking it further.

The really really annoying thing is that I drive 2hrs to Beechdale for the service, I’d pre-warned them about the seal sent photos etc ... heard nothing back. Then on the day (incidentally they’d pre- ordered the seal) the technician (not the Master Alfa technician) decided he wasn’t going to change it as it was down to wear and tear .

The set up there is as such that the workshop is in another unit down the road, so you don’t get chance to even speak to the technician. I was miffed to say the least, along with the fact that my rear pads and discs are yet again down to 50% scored pitted and unevenly worn (this is getting sorted btw). They were only replaced 7.5k miles ago under warranty??

Anyway, I saw Russell (head of sales) outside as I was leaving and explained the situation, he had a Super (think it’s their runabout) outside, the door seal on that was completely trashed similar to Jonafish’s ... he agreed it was ****, but said best bet was to take it up with Customer Care to get it sorted as a gesture of good will.

Phoned up ... woman had the personality of a house brick, explained the situation, mentioned the car at Beechdale, mentioned other folk having replaced seals etc ... case no. assigned.

Then got an email yesterday from someone in Italy fobbing me off.

There’s no loyalty to the customer in the UK, you only have to look at the US forum, as soon as someone complains AlfaRomeoCares are all over it like a rash ... same on Twitter.

... I actually paid the balance on the car this morning, that’s MY loyalty to Alfa Romeo, as it has been for the last 20yrs ... if only it was a 2 way street.

Reactions: Cybrnite

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
As for me getting in and out ... I was literally born in trainers, yes I could’ve caught it on occasion but not every single time I’m getting in and out of the car.
I first noticed it after we’d had that record hot day, I actually think it stuck to the door and tore.

I think the technician was having a bad day, any half decent person would’ve just changed it and discarded the old one, he didn’t even want to look at my random rebooting infotainment problem, “not a job for Saturday morning” I was told.

I was even told that I didn’t need to have the service plan services done at the same garage, I explained that I knew that already but wanted to remain loyal to Beechdale ... laughable isn’t it

Reactions: Cybrnite

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
New ones in, doesn't seem different to the old one or the ones on the other doors. The surface of the rubber does seem much smoother for some reason, perhaps things will slide over it instead of dragging & ripping it. The rubber on the inside seems to be harder as it almost pushes the seal off the seam in the metalwork. Touch of glue required I think!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
New ones in, doesn't seem different to the old one or the ones on the other doors. The surface of the rubber does seem much smoother for some reason, perhaps things will slide over it instead of dragging & ripping it. The rubber on the inside seems to be harder as it almost pushes the seal off the seam in the metalwork. Touch of glue required I think!

Thanks Andy, could I ask what dealer you used for the replacement? Were they reluctant in anyway in doing this under warranty?

Cheers

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It was my post that started this thread, so maybe it's time for an update, I'll have to tell the whole story from the beginning and it's quite a long one, so pull up a chair. My Giulia had its two year service in mid July. The cost was a slightly scary £540, and a few days afterwards I noticed that the oil level was on the low mark, not good, also they hadn't stamped the service book which I had left in the car. I pointed both things out to Service Manager Alastair, "Don't worry" he said, "I'll see to it". The oil was topped up, but again no stamp in the book, “I forgot” he told me later. A couple of weeks after that I was nearby, so I called in and stood over Alastair while he stamped the book. After that, I asked him to come outside to look at the driver's side door seal, which was shredding quite badly at the level of the lock. He thought it must have been rubbing, though I really can't see how that would be possible, the doors don't move up and down when you're out on the road, do they? "Leave it to me" he said, "I'll get that sorted". That was at the beginning of August, and they've fitted the new seal today, next week it would be three months exactly. They thought a new seal might have been ordered, but returned to Alfa in error, or maybe Alastair just forgot to order it in the first place. He'd promised to phone as soon as it arrived, but not a word. I gave it a month and almost forgot about it, I was tied up with other things, then I disappeared on holiday for three weeks, but I phoned the dealer, Westover now Hendy Alfa when I got home, this was mid September. The Group had a terrible system where all calls went to some central office, from whence they re-directed them, you hope, to whichever person or dealership you wanted. It wasn't possible to call direct to the dealer, you had to rely on them to pass on a message, but although the Alfa place was supposed to phone back, they never did. A few ways later I tried again, this time getting through to Alfa at last, it seems they'd given up on the stupid old system, but three times I was told by a nice-sounding young female that "Alastair is on the other line/with or out with a customer/in the workshop or similar, "I'll get him to call you", but again, he never did. The fourth time I was a bit more persistent, complaining a bit forcefully that despite promises from her and others, he never had phoned, and this time he did return my call about an hour later. He "Didn't know" what had happened the first time he'd claimed to have ordered the seal, but he'd get onto ARUK today, this was Monday, the seal should be with them by the end of that week, and could I bring the car in on Monday next week to have it fitted? I live right at one end of our seaside conurbation and Alfa are at the other end, it's not a quick or easy journey, and takes almost an hour, so I phoned on the Friday to make sure the seal was in stock, to avoid the possibility of a lengthy wasted journey. The usual response, "Alastair is busy etc, etc, I'll get him to call you", but as almost always before, he didn't. I gave it a couple of days before phoning again, and yet again I had to put on my angry customer act to achieve anything, but he did eventually respond. Never any apology or anything, but I made another appointment for today, took the car over there, and it's all been fixed, under warranty of course, at least there was never any quibble about that. Almost three months.

Like Cybrnite, I've had very different experiences with Mercedes. I too owned a C250 AMG Coupé a few cars back. It went in for its second year service, at a cost not a lot over half the amount I paid Alfa, and when I collected it afterwards, their Service Manager appeared for a chat. He told me they’d replaced all four alloys, they retail at about £1000 each, as they’d found traces of corrosion, which I hadn't noticed, this was on a two year old car that had only done about 10,000 miles, and that I don’t think had ever been driven on icy or salted roads. No charge, so they hadn’t bothered to phone me, but how’s that for service? They hadn’t had the wheels in stock, but had them fast delivered from some central store that same day, what a contrast. I still love my Giulia, but any more Alfa after care problems, admittedly so far irritating rather than serious, and I’m back to the three-pointed star.

·
Registered
227 Posts
"... I still love my Giulia, but any more Alfa after care problems, admittedly so far irritating rather than serious, and I’m back to the three-pointed star."

Beginning to feel the same way... Really, really love the driving, style and uniqueness of the Giulia but there are some really serious niggley bits that are getting under my skin - the Satnav/Infotainment is soooo dated; the battery related electronics seem to be right on the cusp of failure and don't inspire any confidence, and AR Service seems to be total rubbish

There's a kind of weird air of expectation that I never, ever had with the Merc, it just inspired confidence

Hope something happens to change my mind - I know, I'll go for a drive :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts