Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giulia Super vs A4 vs Jag XE

Just received my copy of Car Magazine and there is a tasty car test on page 74.

I won't spoil it for those who want to go and buy the mag and read it for themselves.

Reactions: cue2 and Maser3200

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Audi quality and dull driving....

im glad i have no interest in them, even the wifes TT is hopelessly uninteresting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Audi quality and dull driving....

im glad i have no interest in them, even the wifes TT is hopelessly uninteresting
Of the 0-62mph test in which the giulia 180 super is quickest,Car magazine says "remove the front-drive off-the-line disadvantage and the A4 is quickest".Needless to say the result is predictable.Any of the three cars could have won but surprisingly it is first Audi,second Jag,third Alfa.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,961 Posts
Of the 0-62mph test in which the giulia 180 super is quickest,Car magazine says "remove the front-drive off-the-line disadvantage and the A4 is quickest".Needless to say the result is predictable.Any of the three cars could have won but surprisingly it is first Audi,second Jag,third Alfa.
You mean "unsurprisingly" right? Its probably the rust that slowed the Alfa down already predictably.:ponder:

·
Registered
38,839 Posts
Thanks.

"As that is the primary business of the compact exec, it can hardly be overlooked, and reinforces the idea that the Giulia – for all its enormous charm – is not quite the finished article it might have been. That, with any hope, will come as the model matures. But even as it stands, the Giulia is a riveting, idiosyncratic and striking entrant into a class usually defined by an understated brand of superiority. That it is conspicuously flawed too only feels like proof that Turin has finally delivered an Alfa properly worthy of its heritage."

They'd better keep developing it, but in the meantime I'm going to have a serious look tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Usual pish from the UK press - how what car can say its a 3 star car is beyond me, flying in the face of virtually ALL other publications. No matter how good it came out, it still wouldn't be enough for the German sponsored UK motoring press

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
guys, have not seen the magazines mentioned so far but have seen the 2.2 d 178 bhp in Auto express against the Jaguar xe and bmw 3 series diesel.

Did the other magazines get a fairly average to poor mpg too.

in auto express the test mpg was 35.1 for the alfa, jaguar xe got 44.7 and the bmw 320d 53.4 mpg on test.

I'm surprised the alfa has such low mpg compared to the others especially when it seems on paper a very efficient engine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
guys, have not seen the magazines mentioned so far but have seen the 2.2 d 178 bhp in Auto express against the Jaguar xe and bmw 3 series diesel.

Did the other magazines get a fairly average to poor mpg too.

in auto express the test mpg was 35.1 for the alfa, jaguar xe got 44.7 and the bmw 320d 53.4 mpg on test.

I'm surprised the alfa has such low mpg compared to the others especially when it seems on paper a very efficient engine.
Trying to not sound extremely biased here, but could the 'newness' of the Alfa be a factor here. I.e. I presume the test cars sent to the magazines form BMW and Jag will be well run in examples. The Giulia is barely out of the factory so I doubt it'll have many miles on it, maybe the MPG will get better with time?

Just a thought, but yeah if thats the true MPG then very poor
Although being Autoexpress, they probably just lied. BUY VAG!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
If they are getting to know the car they will be thrashing it, or certainly driving it hard. Its like when the 500 Twinair came out, they all moaned about the mpg, then in the next sentence said how addictive it was to rev highly! That's going to help economy isn't it... n't

·
Registered
454 Posts
If they are getting to know the car they will be thrashing it, or certainly driving it hard. Its like when the 500 Twinair came out, they all moaned about the mpg, then in the next sentence said how addictive it was to rev highly! That's going to help economy isn't it... n't
[Autoexpress] But a Golf doesn't do this, you can thrash it every day on 2 mile round trips and the trip computer still shows 100mpg. Emissions are better than the Alfa too [/Autoexpress]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Car magazine is owned by Bauer Media, a German company with ties to the German motor industry, much like Autocar, Pistonheads and What Car and their VW Group ties. I used to buy Car religiously every month but finally stopped this year. The bias against anything that's not German or Tata is ludicrous. It's not just Alfa that get inconsistent reviews from them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Car magazine is owned by Bauer Media, a German company with ties to the German motor industry, much like Autocar, Pistonheads and What Car and their VW Group ties. I used to buy Car religiously every month but finally stopped this year. The bias against anything that's not German or Tata is ludicrous. It's not just Alfa that get inconsistent reviews from them.
Car used to very different back in the days of Setright, Nichols, Fraser et al. It was independent and not beholden to any advertiser or manufacturer. I too stopped subscribing a few years ago.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,272 Posts
on one hand, we want Alfa to come first in these reviews, because - crudely - it's getting one over the rivals. Or it means Audi hasn't got one over Alfa. I suppose that's quite an emotional response - after all, we all want our 'team' to win.

But does it really matter? It doesn't mean the Alfa is less of a car, just that - in CAR's test - they thought the Audi was more rounded (unsurprisingly - Audi has been honing the A4 for decades now.) That the box-fresh generation-one Giulia runs it so close, should raise both smiles and eyebrows, depending on whether you're Alfa or Audi.

Some of the 'failings' of the Giulia may not mean that much to some drivers; equally some of the A4's failings may not bother other customers. Fact is, the Giulia appears to be worthy of consideration and class competitive (very much so, infact); any sensible person will weigh up the pros and cons of all three, take a drive, then decide if it's the car for them and their needs, which the Audi - despite it 'winning' the test - may or may not be.

So I'd take CAR's review as a useful guide to the top three mid-size execs, rather than definitive/absolute with respect to which car is best for each potential customer.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Car used to very different back in the days of Setright, Nichols, Fraser et al. It was independent and not beholden to any advertiser or manufacturer. I too stopped subscribing a few years ago.
I remember the great days well. I've bought every edition simce September 1989. Breaking such a long formed habit isn't easy but it's a pale shadow of its former self. Had they had the same bias back then, Setright would have resigned! It was his love of Japanese cars that introduced me to a succession of Hondas and made me appreciate just how much better engineered they were than anything else on the road at the time.

·
Registered
38,839 Posts
You probably remember the two phases of research conducted by Car to find out the non-car connected interests of readers , such as watches. This undoubtedly boosts their ad revenue so they can continue, but now from Germany. One wonders if writers are home based and don't get together as often as years ago when they would have discussed the cars?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Car magazine is owned by Bauer Media, a German company with ties to the German motor industry, much like Autocar, Pistonheads and What Car and their VW Group ties.
I didn't know that. It does put a lot of what I thought was my paranoia into perspective.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
on one hand, we want Alfa to come first in these reviews, because - crudely - it's getting one over the rivals. Or it means Audi hasn't got one over Alfa. I suppose that's quite an emotional response - after all, we all want our 'team' to win.

But does it really matter? It doesn't mean the Alfa is less of a car, just that - in CAR's test - they thought the Audi was more rounded (unsurprisingly - Audi has been honing the A4 for decades now.) That the box-fresh generation-one Giulia runs it so close, should raise both smiles and eyebrows, depending on whether you're Alfa or Audi.

Some of the 'failings' of the Giulia may not mean that much to some drivers; equally some of the A4's failings may not bother other customers. Fact is, the Giulia appears to be worthy of consideration and class competitive (very much so, infact); any sensible person will weigh up the pros and cons of all three, take a drive, then decide if it's the car for them and their needs, which the Audi - despite it 'winning' the test - may or may not be.

So I'd take CAR's review as a useful guide to the top three mid-size execs, rather than definitive/absolute with respect to which car is best for each potential customer.
To be fair, I wouldn't mind if they dissed the beast, if there was no hint of subjectivity. I remember the Autocar test of the Fiat Bravo where they complained the blue stitching in the gear knob "will get dirty before long". The Porch Cayman 911 Sport Club RS in the same episode (with white stitching in the gear knob) wasn't slated for the same problem. I didn't renew my subscription after that - I want my magazine to be written by people who are informed and objective, not some random ****. :D

Ralf S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts