Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was fortunate enough to see the Giulia in the flesh recently. I did not get a chance to drive it, but I was able to sit in the car and check it out a bit.
Only the manual diesel models in two different trim levels were around, no Quadrifoglio or automatics. Well, one automatic, but it was locked and I couldn't get in it.

They also had the facelifted (different grille) Giuliettas and MiTos there.

Hope this pic upload works.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pics, showing the differences between the HID and halogen headlamps, plus one three-quarters front view.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that I noticed immediately when sitting at the back, was the ample legroom. Even with the driver's seat fully back, there was still comfortable room for a six-footer.
The plastics in the car felt nice to me and the steering wheel size feels like it suits the interior perfectly. Also seemed like a very nice driving position, for me at least.

With the base trim model they seem to be aiming at mass fleet markets. Note the cloth seats (felt nice, with good padding) and the lack of air conditioning vents at the back.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing, though. The people at the showroom had absolutely zero interest in talking to me. Nil. Info from the staff literally was limited to this: "Yes, you can look at all the cars, and you can also get into all of the cars except the 4C."

And this is to someone who might possibly buy one of these new.

I mean, it's fair enough, I'm not from the country in which they specifically sell cars, but still, sheesh! :furious: There wasn't even anyone else occupying the staff's time there at all either.
If anything is going to let the Giulia down, it'll be the don't-care attitude from Alfa Romeo staff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One thing, though. The people at the showroom had absolutely zero interest in talking to me. Nil. Info from the staff literally was limited to this: "Yes, you can look at all the cars, and you can also get into all of the cars except the 4C."
Where was this?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had previously read that many people say the car looks "a lot better" in the metal than on pictures.

I did not find this to be the case, particularly. I saw both a light grey and dark grey car inside the building and a blue car outside in the sunlight.
Yes, you are able to see the curves and character of the bodywork a bit better when you see the car in the metal, but it isn't such a big difference.

It is not as pretty and balanced as the 156, nor is it as striking and clean as the 159.

It still looks better than a 3-series, C-class, A4 or Jag, but at the same time still a bit underwhelming for an Alfa sedan.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I usually have a good internal laugh at the fake/dummy chromed exhaust tips on the new C-class for example, now Alfa has done it as well. That decision-making idiot should be disciplined.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Merc goes one step further, though. On some of their latest models, the "exhaust tips" are simply blanked off by a piece of black plastic - there's not even any actual exhaust pipe behind it.

Still, I specifically looked at those "exhausts" on the Giulia and was disappointed to see them not being connected. To be fair, you have to look quite hard to see it - the actual exhaust pipe end is recessed far behind the chrome of the bumper. At least this bad styling choice was well executed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My experience is that Italians don't like speaking english.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many of them don't like it because they can't speak it well. The staff there all spoke very good English, some even virtually accentless.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
haha don't like to and don't want to are very different.

most Europeans are much more helpful to us Saffas once they work out we aren't English :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did have run-ins with a few Italians at other places who could clearly understand English, but sullenly refused to speak it, even after I threw my best "buongiorno"s and "grazie"s and "prego"s at them.

Most others clearly just did not like to speak English because they are embarrassed about how they sound.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I usually have a good internal laugh at the fake/dummy chromed exhaust tips on the new C-class for example, now Alfa has done it as well. That decision-making idiot should be disciplined.
I too, noticed this when I saw the Giulia in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. I had a friend with me who is a very experienced alfa mechanic and enthusiast, and he explained to me that it was due to the fact it is a diesel - the (actual) exhaust pipe need to be rather small because of the exhaust gas pressure - as the consumers visually like big exhausts more, this is the only option that car manufacturers have today. Apparently, the engine would not be able to manage having big "natural" exhausts.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
due to the fact it is a diesel - the (actual) exhaust pipe need to be rather small because of the exhaust gas pressure - as the consumers visually like big exhausts more, this is the only option that car manufacturers have today. Apparently, the engine would not be able to manage having big "natural" exhausts.
I am no expert on gas flow dynamics, so this has always been something that has been slightly puzzling to me.
For example, say you have to have a 25mm pipe for the exhaust pressure to be right, but just before the end of the pipe, for the last two inches, you widen it to 50mm - how does that last two inches have a different effect on the exhaust pressure than just opening straight into an "infinite" open air from 25mm?

Could they not attach the small diameter pipe to the large chrome tip with a highly perforated cone fitting?

As I say, I don't know the gas flow theory, so I'd really like to know if someone can explain. :teacher:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I am no expert on gas flow dynamics, so this has always been something that has been slightly puzzling to me.
For example, say you have to have a 25mm pipe for the exhaust pressure to be right, but just before the end of the pipe, for the last two inches, you widen it to 50mm - how does that last two inches have a different effect on the exhaust pressure than just opening straight into an "infinite" open air from 25mm?

Could they not attach the small diameter pipe to the large chrome tip with a highly perforated cone fitting?

As I say, I don't know the gas flow theory, so I'd really like to know if someone can explain. :teacher:
enlarging into the tip should make zero difference. its just cheaper/easier to make the tip part of the bumper I think. It also allows the tip to be neatly incorporated into the bumper (which means no movement - its fixed to the bumper) whilst the exhaust itself can move with the motor.

in theory, if you step up the size half way down the exhaust, the flow rate would drop significantly. then you could theoretically get fast moving pulses of exhaust gas colliding with the now slower moving ones and causing back pressure. but its pretty remote.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah OK, well then my rudimentary idea of how exhaust gas pressure works (smaller pipe, faster gas, lower backpressure) seems to hold true.

I agree that it's cheaper and easier to just loosely hide the small exhaust tip behind the large, chrome-surrounded hole in the bumper, but I think a short piece of step-up pipe - could even be a flex section to accommodate movement - from the pipe to the bumper hole would be more visually pleasing. Especially since the exhaust gets sooted up inside anyway and creates a matte black finish where it's very hard to see the "cone" at the end.

·
Registered
393 Posts
On another topic: it seems like the OP didn't have the chance to hear the engine running - I did, as I saw the Giulia driving off and I even got to sit in it with the engine running (not allowed to drive it due to missing plates, but they had to move it at the showroom when I was there), and sadly the diesel clatter is rather loud.. and "typical". Compared to the 5-pot in the 159 it sounds louder and a bit more like a "traditional" Italian/French diesel - on this point the German rivals (sadly) have better soundproofing in their cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts