Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car's gone in today to have an annoying rattle / buzzing noise from the driver's side dash sorted. It's pretty much a constant noise while the engine is running.

It's only done 420 miles so far, and has rattled since 200 miles which if I'm honest is pretty damned disappointing. Since it's been booked in it's also picked up a couple of other rattles across the dash.

Does anyone have any experiences with having rattles looked at?

If so, what's the chance of success, and how many days did they need the car for?

It's the first time I've needed anything like this done so I'm quite new to it all ... I've only ever had to get mechanical / electrical stuff sorted under warranty before.

Oh yes, and I've got plenty of videos of the offending noise, so I know I'm not going mad or over-reacting.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where have you taken the car?
Research garage in Nuneaton. They're my closest Alfa dealer.

I could've gone to Solihull but they've had mixed reviews.

To be fair to Research they got me booked in quickly, have been really accomodating and sorted a courtesy car immediately with no fuss. So from a customer service point that's great.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have had faint rattles from steering wheel, door card near speaker. All sorted satisfactorily but either re-adjustment, lubrication by dealer. Rattles are not easy but trust them to sort it. Its under warranty. It always helps if you insist on speaking to the technician personally and show him exactly where the noise is and what conditions it occurs. I always make this a habit when it comes to rattles or any vague issues rather than trust the 2nd hand info to the workshop from service desk.

·
Registered
35,763 Posts
Some dealers prefer to be taken out in the car to have the noise reproduced for them. Allow some time!

·
Registered
445 Posts
A colleagues new Audi A4 has something (maybe a screw) rattling from one side of the dash to the other when cornering.

My wifes Discovery Sport needs a new heater fan, the local dealer needs to take the entire dash out to replace it, not excited about that at all.

No-one is safe.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately they didn't ask too much and didn't put forward the offer of going out with a technician. To be fair I did drop it off relatively late (5pm) to be looked at tomorrow as I couldn't get to them first thing in the morning.

It's pretty damned obvious where the rattle is, so fingers crossed it'll get sorted. Hopefully tomorrow too, but I have a Giulietta courtesy car so there's no massive rush.

I'm hoping it'll sort the others at the same time as I'm almost certain they'll need to take the top of the dash off to sort it ... Which is a double edged sword.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I always maintain, German build quality isn't the pinnacle, not from my experience anyway - they have no fewer issues than any other manufacturer.

From new my A4 had an annoying creak eminating from the centre screen console and only on colder days. It reoccurred at least half a dozen times over last 3 years and the 'solution' the Audi tech gave each time was more padding shoved between the two adjoining plastic panels! Works for a bit then comes back.

I've also experienced excess wind noise, squeaky windows and auto boot lid gremlins to name but a few with the very same top spec car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
German? The supplier is French.
Didn't see your post before I posted mine. I was replying to earlier posts about other manufacturers' models having issues too.

Didn't realise French supplier provided Audi gear. May explain the creaks and rattles on mine!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Ok, so my car's gone in today to have an annoying rattle / buzzing noise from the driver's side dash sorted. It's pretty much a constant noise while the engine is running.

It's only done 420 miles so far, and has rattled since 200 miles which if I'm honest is pretty damned disappointing. Since it's been booked in it's also picked up a couple of other rattles across the dash.

If so, what's the chance of success, and how many days did they need the car for?

It's the first time I've needed anything like this done so I'm quite new to it all ... I've only ever had to get mechanical / electrical stuff sorted under warranty before.

Oh yes, and I've got plenty of videos of the offending noise, so I know I'm not going mad or over-reacting.
From new I had a minor rattle which stopped if you touched the binnacle.

My dealer (TH White) removed and refitted the binnacle and no recurrence.

Andy

·
Registered
188 Posts

I have a rattling drivers wing mirror and drivers internal door panel. Took the car for it's first service and they claimed to have fixed the mirror - they hadn't, and didn't have time to look at the panel - I took the car in at 8am. So I still have my rattles, will speak to the technician personally next time. Not impressed. They also attempted to fix the warped fuel lid by bending it by hand - it's still warped.

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
391 Posts
I have a rattling drivers wing mirror and drivers internal door panel. Took the car for it's first service and they claimed to have fixed the mirror - they hadn't, and didn't have time to look at the panel - I took the car in at 8am. So I still have my rattles, will speak to the technician personally next time. Not impressed. They also attempted to fix the warped fuel lid by bending it by hand - it's still warped.
Hi
Fuel lid is a 'known' problem. Mine changed under warranty. There is a thread on here about it.

I may be wrong but I believe its been subject to design changes.

I would suggest you insist its replaced under warranty

Cheers:yes:

·
Registered
35,763 Posts
I'd ask the dealer. It may alert them to do something before you need to contact the number. I believe it's on the sun visor or at least on the Alfa website.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, minor update : the noise was really obvious to the technician, but now they're going to have to keep the car for a few days to sort it as they need to take the dash off.

With it being a bank holiday etc I'll get a call on Tuesday with an update, and hopefully picking the car up that evening.

I have the courtesy car until then, so no harm done, I'd rather just get it fixed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
.... Aaaaand I'm not getting my car back until at least Wednesday night, most likely Thursday night due to short staffing over the bank holiday. This is also the first Giulia they've worked on too.

No complaints here though, I'm sure they'll be really thorough, and I've got the courtesy car for as long as I need it.

Really missing it though.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts